main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Leia's fate post-TLJ

Discussion in 'Literature' started by LelalMekha, Jan 30, 2018.

?

Would you support the recasting of Leia in Episode IX?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    20.4%
  2. No

39 vote(s)
    72.2%
  3. Undecided

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
  1. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Didn't Leia get so much hate in-universe from hiding that Vader was her father in Bloodline?

All Kylo has to do to break the New Resistance morale is announce that Leia is his mother.

To Leia: "The Supreme Leader of the First Order is your son, and you never told us? You never told us that the butcher of Hosnian Prime was your son? You knew this before he even destroyed Hosnian and never told us? Because with that knowledge, we might have been able to stop him!"

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    That’s a hard no for me. No one except Carrie should play Leia. It just does not seem right for anyone else to do it.

SpecForce Trooper and Daneira like this.
  3. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I was hoping at least SOMEONE would see things the same way as I do. :p
    Ah, well... Looks like Leia's character arc will enver have a proper onscreen conclusion. That doesn't "seem right" either in my mind.

4. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    The ST is full of non-resolutions though. The Big 3 never meet again. Leia's arc of becoming a Jedi ("You'll learn the things I have" in ROTJ) is unfulfilled. "Pass on what you have learned" is unfulfilled by one very bad day that would have Mark Hamill's Joker bent over in laughter as the Killing Joke.

So, from my point of view having Leia's arc unfulfilled isn't an aberration in a saga of fulfilled arcs when the last 2 movies already have these unresolved arcs.

TrandoJedi and Dr. Steve Brule like this.
  5. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Some would say that Luke managed to pass on what he's learned through Rey... from a certain POV.

TrandoJedi likes this.
  6. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Leia's character arc has a gorgeous onscreen conclusion in The Last Jedi. She gets to be Moses, leading her children into the Promised Land. "We have everything we need."

7. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I agree with you. IX deserves to have a heroic skywalker show up, not just one in ghost form.

8. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    They've already egregiously killed off most of the OT cast. I can't imagine them staying away from the last.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  9. Abalore

Abalore Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 19, 2001
    Perhaps the best way forward is to not kill Leia. She doesn’t really have to be in the film. She can show up as a hologram to let the audience know what’s she’s up to, but the film can focus solely on Rey, Kylo, Finn, Poe, and Zuvio.

A recasting would be an abomination, IMO. I really don’t think it would work at all.

10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yeah, I'm in the tiny boat who doesn't think she should die. I think they're going to use CG on unused footage to give her a role the size she had in TFA. That shouldn't be hard to do. I think Carrie would be ****ed as hell if they killed her off screen.

11. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    Maybe she can sacrifice herself with some weird force ritual that simultaneously brings Luke back to life, going a long way to retroactively fix TLJ . . .

ah well one can hope

12. nancipants

nancipants Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2017
    1. Leia doesn't have to be a Jedi to use the Force. That was the whole point of Luke's first lesson with Rey.

2. Luke did pass on what he had learned. That's the whole point of his scene with Yoda, and his sacrifice on Crait. "The greatest teacher failure is."

3. I don't know how you could call either Han or Luke's ST arcs unresolved. They have very concrete endings.

TrandoJedi likes this.
  13. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Exactly my thinking, @Jedi Princess. I've been wanting to ask this question for a while now but wasn't sure how to do so in a respectful way so I'll just throw it out there as a follow-on to this comment: in what way is Leia's story, for all intents and purposes, not complete? Maybe some sort of reckoning with Ben, but that's more his arc, his story, than hers. Would we all want to see Leia in Ep9, doing what she does best? Absolutely. But I'm not that convinced there's really any of her story left to tell, and particularly so after TLJ.

Jedi Princess likes this.
  14. Commander_Andersen

Commander_Andersen Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 10, 2004
    She dies off-screen just before Episode IX, which then opens with her funeral/memorial service, the perfect opportunity to bring in Lando and Wedge, and to set the lie of the land since The Last Jedi, establishing the new generation of heroes' roles in the Resistance/Rebellion.

15. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    I'd be curious if there is a difference in the camp of re-cast vs. don't re-cast that has an age gap? For my part, I'm a 70s baby and an 80s kid and would not for a moment want to have the role re-cast. What is driving that, some left over youthful crush mixed with Old Skool Saga loyalty; I frankly haven't worked that out yet but my answer is no.

16. Ewan Tibbetts

Ewan Tibbetts Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2016
    Interesting thought Mr. Firesaber. I was born in the late 90's and I am very much in the yes camp.

17. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Born in 91, Im in the recast camp.

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    They might as well go for broke on the horrifically bad front:
    If you hadn't been so busy politicking, while shagging your bit of rough, maybe he wouldn't have turned out to be such a psycho.

19. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I think any recasting would be an awful idea and any future adventures with Leia are toothless without Carrie Fisher.

20. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Would I support it? Sure.

Do I demand or expect it? No.

BookExogorth and LelalMekha like this.
  21. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Oh, I certainly don't expect it either. But I frankly don't want to see anything like that:
    "Hey, Poe? Whatever happened to Leia? Is that what you asked? Her finale adventure is a tale that will probably never be allowed to be told... but it was a dilly!"

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  22. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Born in 1974, which makes me an "old-timer" I suppose (though I like to look at it as "gaining perspective"), and...it's a tough one. I've heard some names tossed around that I've thought, yeah, they could pull it off. I'm not adamantly against recasting or anything, provided strong casting. But I'm increasingly of the view that, after TLJ, there's really no reason to. The baton was, more or less, passed. I don't know whether that puts me in the "pro" recast or "con" recast camp so I guess decide that one for yourself.

connor413 and firesaber like this.
  23. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Honestly it would have probably been better if
    Instead of Holdo crashing the cruiser into the FO fleet, it'd have been Leia and/or Adm. Ackbar (because WOW did he also get an insultingly throwaway death as well).

At least then she'd have gone out trying to DO something to save everyone else (which fits her character 100%).

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  24. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    To recast would be a distraction, I think. And, though I feel CGI necromancy is creepy even if it did look good, it's too soon.

If there's a significant time jump from TLJ to IX, just let Leia go with a line of dialogue. If there's not, address her absence and maybe close her chapter in another medium.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  25. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Yes, that annoyed me too. But I suppose it all boils down to the fact that the character you're talking about was big in the EU. An EU that no longer exists. It's like Wedge, in fact. He's become yet another secondary, if not tertiary character from the OT, not the huge star he was in "our" Star Wars.