main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Leia's Infamous Line

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by enigmaticjedi, Jan 2, 2015.

1. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    Perhaps the worst line in all of the OT is the following:

Luke: " My sister has it. It's you, Leia"

Leia: " I know. Somehow I've always known.'" .... Good times on Hoth then?....[face_sick]

My brothers won't shut up about this.

They keep making Leia incest jokes about the kiss on Hoth.

Do you dislike this line? It was completely unnecessary

maychild and MOC Yak Face like this.
  2. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    The fact that they ended up as siblings went down like a lead balloon with a number of fans. The fact that that line was included certainly didn't help matters much! :( I guess he was going for the Force connectivity angle, but still...

3. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    It can be interpreted as she had always known there was an innate connection between them, but more familial than romantic. I don't why the kiss bothers so many people. Family members kiss all the time. It's not like she put her tongue down his throat. She was never attracted to Luke, she kissed him to make Han jealous. She would have literally kissed anyone in the vicinity to make Han jealous.

4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    "Bury your feelings deep, Luke."

5. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I dislike the ESB kiss, not that they are related. In Cushy's view the kiss should be removed as it's inappropriate and needless. But, eh. :p

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  6. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    It's not a big, big deal for me, but like so many things which are included retrospectively it just doesn't quite sit right. It's like sand in your shoe. It doesn't stop you walking, but it's just...

Edit:

Imagine if they'd decided to embrace that whole angle...

Leia: Somehow I've always known.

Long pause as they look into each other's eyes.

Luke: If lovin' you is wrong I don't want to be right! (Cue: Luther Ingram) :p

7. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    [face_laugh]
    Seriously, I never had a problem with this. So she kissed him! Big deal! TSC is absolutely right.

8. Binary Sunset

Binary Sunset Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 31, 2014
    I believe Leia kissed Luke to irk Han Solo.

9. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I believe that, innately, Luke and Leia subconsciously knew that they had some kind of a bond. They felt a natural familial love for one another, but the naiveté of their genetic relationship with one another coupled with their upbringings could easily lead to them misinterpreting their feelings as romantic

If anything, I see a bit of an "oh crap!" feeling from Leia when she says that very line

Andy Wylde likes this.
  10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Yeah, "somehow I've always known" is obviously sorta supposed to be like the BTTF line, "when I kiss you...it's like I'm...kissing my brother". It's supposed to mean she always felt some sort of familial bond. But it still doesn't quite sit right with me, it seems unnecessarily vague and therefore sketchy. Really, Leia's entire dialogue during the scene is just horrendous, and Carrie mailed it in.

Yeah, the kiss for luck in ANH is absolutely nothing. Just a peck, completely innocent. I wouldn't be too grossed out getting a kiss from one of my sisters like that.

But the one in ESB? A little more gross, do not want. Yes, it was to make Han jealous, but it still happened. Siblings do not kiss in that manner, at least to me. However, as I said in another thread, no major harm done, no crossing of the point of no return, no sin from which they can never be clean. It's not Oedipus & Jocasta or anything close.

Yes, I do dislike the line.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I was just about to make the comparison between Leia's line and Lorraine Baines' line.

That said though--the kiss was left in the SEs with no thought whatsoever to continuity, no thought about the idea that people might look back on that scene and think about how intimate that kiss was.

But I'm not sure Lucas cared that much about how his movies connected, despite saying he wanted a "seamless transition" or something.

only one kenobi and MOC Yak Face like this.
  12. Imperial Reject

Imperial Reject Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    lol I was thinking about this the other day I even made a short funny video about it, yeah she kissed Luke to make Han jealous, her line "I guess you don't know everything about women yet" when I as a kid I always replied with "they like kissing their brother?" lol could you imagine his reaction if she made out with Chewie! [face_laugh]

13. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Lucas simply didn't care because Star Wars was already knee deep in Oedipal themes at that point anyway. Seriously, incestuous relationships are not out of place in a work like Star Wars. At all.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  14. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    There might be a few parents out there who would disagree with you there.

15. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Isn't that Obi Won's line from TROTJ

16. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    My turn ''would someone gets this walking carpet out of my way''

17. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    DarthSyverus please use the Edit button in order to avoid double posting.

18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Right, in relation to not letting his attachment for Leia be his undoing. But as a joke, it can be inferred that he was telling him to go take a cold shower.

19. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    That line also has bothered me a bit, and I'm surprised Lucas did't change in ROTS were Padme would live long enough for Leia to at least remember a little bit about her mother. Plus, IMO, the whole "She lost the will to live" would be deleted as I never really bought that scene.

20. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Seriously, I think anyone who has read or watched "Game of Thrones" would probably have a hard time being phased by Luke and Leia's kiss at this point. But while it's a little icky, it doesn't bother me as much as it does everyone else. They didn't *know*. And there was no romantic intent on Leia's part. As for Luke…well, I've said it before, and I'll say it again: he obviously felt an immediate connection to Leia, and misinterpreted it as romantic love. That's actually happened before in RL with long-lost half siblings who didn't know better. Unfortunate, but true. And it could've been *waaaay* worse. Again, I point you to "Game of Thrones."

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  21. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Oops, I thought we were talking about the whole Leia remembering her mother thing. Should have read the whole post, now I feel rather embarrassed as I usually pay attention to whats being said better. On the whole Leia kissing Luke does't bother me that much, though I can see we could be bothered by it.

22. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    It's bad but not "that bad" she was clearly trying to make Han jealous she evens states "I'd rather kiss a wookie" but luke looked pretty happy after lol

23. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    It's not that I didn't buy into it, but it kind of takes the onus off Anakin. He didn't literally kill her. His actions caused her to subconsciously kill herself?[face_dunno] It would have been a much stronger plot point had Anakin literally Force choked her to death, or pushed her off a cliff, or caused her ship to explode somehow etc. I guess ultimately it would have been tough to watch such extreme acts of violence against a pregnant woman, but I'm sure they could have worked around the same way they did with the murder of the younglings.

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  24. Malcolm Reynolds

Malcolm Reynolds Jedi Master star 5

Sep 2, 2013
    yeah the line is needed but oh well maybe leia forgot about the kiss

25. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    But that is not the point the author was trying to make. He wanted the romantic tragedy to persevere. There is no romance associated with a tragedy in which the husband murders the wife. The parents dysfunction, however, did lead to the kiss in the OT between the children, who as a result of that and their subsequent separation in the PT had no notion that they were siblings. I do think the line would have come across better if she had said "Now I understand this feeling I've always had toward you" to clarify that she was misinterpreting it earlier.

enigmaticjedi and MOC Yak Face like this.