main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Leia's Novel

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Danz Borin, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Danz Borin

Danz Borin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    http://theforce.net/books/story/Martha_Wells_Updates_Us_On_Her_Leia_Novel_149809.asp

From this blurb, Matha Wells says it's set 2 years after ANH/Yavin.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/2_ABY

Interesting, quite a few 'battles' take place at 2ABY:

In particular, that involves the Battle of Hoth.

So, it'll be interesting I think on the exact timing of the novel. If it's post-ANH/pre-ESB or if it's concurrent with ESB, or just slightly post-ESB before SOTE or if it's post-Splinter of the Minds Eye/Pre-ESB.

2. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    IIRC, the Rebels series of novels is supposed to take place between ANH and TESB. There's an existing thread for these books.

3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I see no problem with letting the specific novels have their own threads, though. I'm really excited about having this be in 2 ABY. I've been banging the drum for years that there's a lot of space for OT adventures if the authors would just get away from the first year after Yavin and start doing stories that aren't "right after ANH." Great to see them finally moving on.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  4. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I'm personally really excited that we're getting a Leia novel. We've gotten quite a few Han novels and Luke novels over the years, but I don't think I can recall the same ever having been done for Leia.

JackG, Rew and GrandAdmiralJello like this.
  5. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm still a bit sad we never got that Ann Crispin Leia book (trilogy?)

cthugha and Rew like this.
  6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I was gonna say the same thing, ID. Considering how much I enjoyed her Han trilogy, I bet a Leia book or series by her would have been great.

Still, these Rebels books have great potential, especially with Leia. If Star Wood is anything to go by, she can definitely be very interesting if used well.

7. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    What makes it more annoying is that I'm pretty sure it's that live action show that stopped her from doing it.

8. P2 reject

P2 reject Jedi Youngling

Jan 20, 2013
    I hope we will see Onderon again.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Wait, what? Was the AC Crispin thing supposed to be recent, then?

10. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Most excited for the Leia novel!

11. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Same here. I mean, seriously--it's been 36 years since the original Star Wars was released, and 22 years since the EU started putting out novels non-stop. And only now, in 2013, are we finally getting our first Leia-centric novel? This is a long time coming if you ask me!

12. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Weren't The Courtship of Princess Leia and Tatooine Ghost Leia centric?

13. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    COPL is really Big 3 related, and paints Leia in such a poor light I can't count it. TG is Han and Leia centric, but also a commercial for TPM.

14. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Fairly recent. She claimed that "Lucasarts wanted to keep the era open for the live action show they're considering".

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    The live action series has been mentioned on and off since 2005, but I think Crispin's statement was around 2008, which is still over 4 years ago. :oops:

16. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I agree that CoPL paints Leia in such a poor light. A commercial for TPM, why does that not surprise, despite not having read TG?

17. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Hopefully this will resemble the stronger Leia depicted in the new Wood comic.

Most novels just have a really generic female, but Wood has really grasped the strength in Leia's character that the books so often neglect. So hopefully if this shows a stronger character it might make other authors wake up and remember how to use her.

DarthApprentice likes this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    What's wrong with Leia in CoPL?

19. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Some people don't like Leia pimping herself out to Isolder.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    She's royalty AND a committed Rebel. I'm not sure why people expect her to be selfish.

21. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    COPL has some very fun ideas, and in my opinion an interesting plot, it's just really brought down by mediocre writing, so everyone comes off as something of a caricature of themselves. Leia got hit pretty hard in this area. COPL would work incredibly well as a comic, I guarantee it.

22. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I thought the Leia who would go to such lengths to rescue Han in ROTJ wouldn't necessarily cast him aside when Prince Fabio and his fancy fleet show up. Also, the blatant reverse sexism in the Hapes Consortium seems counter to the ideals of the New Republic. But primarily I was out off by the pimping out aspect, yeah.

FWIW, Han's characterization is way off too. He confides in Threepio? Nah.

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Wasn't he drunk though?

24. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    It is worth noting that Han was completely hammered when he confided in Threepio. That scene doesn't bother me too much :p. At least compared to some others.

COPL is an odd one for me. Badly, even terribly written in places, dialogue that can give rabies, and some really weird character interaction, but I'd still love to see it adapted to a visual medium. Dathomir is quite serviceable as far as settings for elaborate pulp adventure stories go, and Wolverton is fairly good visually, for all of his other serious faults.

I haven't read it, but I hear his own fantasy series is pretty much the same thing. It's acclaimed for unique ideas, but derided for the actual writing and characters.

25. DarthApprentice

DarthApprentice Jedi Knight star 1

May 17, 2011
    I really didn't think Leia or Han was written as some have stated, but to each their own. I really enjoyed CoPL. Although my opinion is slightly skewed. I enjoy every story for just that, the story. This goes along with another post on a different thread. Each story might be a different interpretation depending on who's telling the tale. If one author writes a certain character different from how one might think they are supposed to, its akin to saying someone is a jerk when someone else thinks that same person is delightful. Difference of opinion.