main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Leia's quote in reference back to ROTS events

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by inkswamp, Dec 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inkswamp

inkswamp Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    There's probably an existing thread for this but I can't find it. In ANH, the hologram of Leia refers back to the events of ROTS:

"Gen. Kenobi, years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars..."

I'm not one of those people who goes around looking for continuity issues or holes, but I do sometimes miss subtle things that explain these kinds of references. Was there something subtle in ROTS that explains how Kenobi served Bail Organa?

I have possible explanations but I'm not totally convinced by any:

1. The Jedi were seen as serving the general interests of the Republic, specifically those in power, so it can be said that Kenobi served Bail.

2. Leia's quote can be re-cast in terms of a more generic "served along with" instead of the implication that Bail was in charge of Kenobi.

3. Kenobi served under Bail's command in some battles in the Clone Wars in some EU story.

And please, can I request that we not flood this thread with "cuz Lucas didn't have that planned back then" type answers? Obviously, he didn't have all these tiny details worked out. I'm trying to figure out if there is a subtle explanation in ROTS or the prequels in general to explain it just the same. Just because he didn't have it planned doesn't preclude the possiblity that he inserted an explanation, even a subtle one that I may not be getting.

2. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    The Jedi served under the Senate of the Republic -- Bail was a Senator -- Obi-Wan thus served under him.

3. MasterP

MasterP Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jun 8, 2003
    I'm sure Lucas made a mistake, because Anakin was under Obi-Wan's command.

4. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
  5. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    The Jedi were given General positions to lead the Army of the Republic. Though Bail wanted to stop the war, he was still a Senator and part of the Senate,which is the Senate of the Republic.

Leia is talking about bail,cause she doesnt even know Vaders her father.

6. MasterP

MasterP Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jun 8, 2003
  7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    In the films only, it's to do with Bail being a Senator and Obi-wan being a Jedi who served the Senate. In the eu, Obi-wan went to Alderaan during the Clone Wars, to aid in a matter. Afterwards, Bail would visit the Council quite often during the final days of the Clone Wars. This is seen in "Labryinth Of Evil" when Bail drops by to discuss matters with the Council about Palpatine's decision regarding the Republic's Fleet. Bail came by the Jedi Temple late at night, to see why it was on fire. The two surviving Jedi Masters speak with Bail about what to do next, after arriving at Naboo.

There's no continuity errors.

8. CJedi72

CJedi72 Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 29, 2005
    And please, can I request that we not flood this thread with "cuz Lucas didn't have that planned back then" type answers? Obviously, he didn't have all these tiny details worked out. I'm trying to figure out if there is a subtle explanation in ROTS or the prequels in general to explain it just the same. Just because he didn't have it planned doesn't preclude the possiblity that he inserted an explanation, even a subtle one that I may not be getting.
    [/quote]

Leia is talking about General Kenobi from force memories, right?;)

9. inkswamp

Oct 14, 2004
    Oohh... someone's looking for a brawl. [face_beatup]

;)

10. inkswamp

Oct 14, 2004
    Ah, there we go. That's what I was looking for. Thanks.

It's easy to assume something was going on there even without an EU explanation, but it's good to see that was the intent. Bail seems fairly well acquainted with Obi-Wan in ROTS so it implies that something happened involving the two of them between the times of AOTC and ROTS. I hadn't even considered the possibility that the Clone Wars would somehow encroach on Alderaan as well.

11. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    It was early on in the Marvel comics run, that Leia told Luke about the time Bail had contacted Obi-wan to come to Alderaan. Though there's a bit of a conflict. Obi-wan there has black hair, looks to be 45, carried a blaster and didn't dress like a Jedi. Much less act like he did during the PT. It's possible that he was travelling undercover, since he was aboard a registered transport and not a Jedi Starfighter.

12. Ceethreepio

Ceethreepio Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2003
    Could very well be, I remember reading that comic.

There was one comic where Bail and Obi-wan are needed to work together on a mission.

13. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Leia's clone war knowledge is also second hand. After Bail's war stories to her, she could have interpreted things differently in her mind. After ROTS, we see that her memories of her mother are not quite correct. Leia's not a accurate source of history, but thats not her purpose anyway. :D

14. PADMELUVA

PADMELUVA Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    interesting sinister...what do you mean he didn ac like he did in the the PT?

15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Obi-wan acted more like an arrogant braggert than the Great Negotiator or the crazy old wizard.

16. MasterVodo

MasterVodo Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2005
    Although I agree with your point, what about Leia's memory of her mother was inaccurate? She said three things.
    1. "She died when I was very young." - Very, VERY, young but true.
    2. "She was very beautiful..." - Check.
    3. "...but sad." - Certainly was a little down at the time Leia saw her.

Although it's a stretch that she remembers so much at such a young age it is all consistant.

17. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    i dont think there is any better and simpler way to put it obi chron

18. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

It all really depends on what Bail told Leia about the events of the Clone Wars. He might have told her some white lies about how things went down. Bail and Obi-Wan being on the ship together near the end of RoTS was due to some very touchy circumstances. They were probably moderate acquantances before that, but Bail was Yoda and Obi-Wan's BEST friend in the end. The why of that need not be told to Leia.

Carnage

19. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    Or, I'm just suggesting mind you, the Marvel stories never had and were never meant to be a part of actual SW continuity. I know that's crazy talk, I mean I'm sure Lucas had this all planned out and wrote the comics himself, but it could just be possible that 8 foot Bunny Rabbit Bounty Hunters do not actually belong in the SW universe.

20. voodoopuuduu

Mar 22, 2004
    Although I agree with your point, what about Leia's memory of her mother was inaccurate? She said three things.
    1. "She died when I was very young." - Very, VERY, young but true.
    2. "She was very beautiful..." - Check.
    3. "...but sad." - Certainly was a little down at the time Leia saw her.

Although it's a stretch that she remembers so much at such a young age it is all consistant.

Its very possible all of those points could be said of Bails wife too. Bails wife could have been sad knowing she was dieing from an incurable disease, for example. Yep, its a super big stretch Leia could have remembered so much about Padme being less than 1 hour old. My point is that Leias memories (or anyones for that matter) are not the most reliable. Even argueing the Force memories theory, from what we saw in ROTS from Anakins dreams, those arent very reliable either. The end result was correct, but arriving at the end result wasnt like it was imagined.

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Certain things from the Marvel run have carried over, same as elements of "The Holiday Special" have carried over into the eu proper. Most of the Marvel run isn't important to the development of canon by Lucasbooks' definition. However, Shire Brie and a few other elements have carried over. THS has given us Chewbacca's parents, his wife and son as well as Life Day and the name Kashyyyk. Same as Zorba the Hutt carried over from the "Son Of Palpatine" young adult series and has been mentioned in "The Hutt Gambit" and "Rebel Dawn". Or Lando's funpark from that same book series that appeared in "Trouble At Cloud City".

22. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    The Marvel Comics did have their good points. Heck, I loved the half-man, half machine droid-hating Hunter, or the post ESB story where all the Imperial Officers plotted to push Vader out an airlock in response to his killing them off at the drop of a hat. One of my favorites was the tale of a young Obi-wan and his adventure on some inter-stellar ocean liner which could now be considered completely out of continuity.

I was teasing you above, but my point remains. My biggest issue with the EU isn't the OT regurgitations, or the lack of respect they sometimes show the source material. It's this insistance that it all fits. That if you twist this and you tweak that, well then Boba's really was Jaster Mareel from a certain point of view. Sometimes a Star Wars story written on the back of a cereal box is just a story and it doesn't need (or sometimes deserve) to be canonized.

23. voodoopuuduu

Mar 22, 2004
    Its very possible all of those points could be said of Bails wife too. Bails wife could have been sad knowing she was dieing from an incurable disease, for example. Yep, its a super big stretch Leia could have remembered so much about Padme being less than 1 hour old. My point is that Leias memories (or anyones for that matter) are not the most reliable. Even argueing the Force memories theory, from what we saw in ROTS from Anakins dreams, those arent very reliable either. The end result was correct, but arriving at the end result wasnt like it was imagined.

Also, if Leias memory was good, she surely would have remembered Obi-Wan. He held her longer than Padme did. The line would have been like this :

Luke : Leia, do you remember your mother ?

Leia: Yeah, she looked sad, and had a beard and smelled like liquor. :p

24. Get_in_Gear

Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 29, 2004
  25. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    That's the one I was talking about. Where Obi-wan's Jedi uniform was something like a skin-tight black catburglar type thingy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.