main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Leia's quote in reference back to ROTS events

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by inkswamp, Dec 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Get_in_Gear

Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    Yup.
    And look -
    [image=http://img312.imageshack.us/img312/5052/starwars24pg086uw.jpg]
    ...Marvel had that nonchelant Kenobi "behind the back" move down before Ewan ever did!

I must admit - I love the Marvel comics.
    I think they captured the spirit of the saga, if not the continuity.
    And they had the decency to put Fett back in the Sarlaac once they had finished with him, which is more than can be said for Dark Horse...

And *cough* Palpatine clones *splutter* ??!!?!
    I'd take Crimson Jack over Palpatine clones anyday...

2. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I love my Marvels too and still have most all of them.

3. Get_in_Gear

Nov 29, 2004
    Well, I've been trying to keep a brave face, but I recently learnt - on Christmas day no less - that my father had thrown out my collection of Marvel ROTJ and TESB UK comics!
    He claims he hasn't, but I know exactly where they were, and they are not there now.
    Needless to say, they have not turned up.
    A complete collection of Marvel Transformers UK comics too!

:(

I thought, while I'm visiting my dad, I'll kill two birds with one stone and finally get round to picking some of this **** up.
    Argghhh!
    He'd been having a "clear out"...

Word of advice - if any of you still live with your parents, when you eventually move out, take ALL of your stuff with you AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!
    I've been putting it off and putting it off...
    How could I be so stupid as to leave something so valuable to me in his possession?
    My own fault, I guess.
    At least my figure collection was intact.

I have all of the Marvel SW comics in digital format, but not the UK versions with the back up strips and letters pages and so on.
    It's not the same, really.

Many long hours on ebay await me if I want to replace them...

4. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    *Goes off on tangent*

I feel your pain. When I left home I also left behind a huge collection of GI Joe Vehicles and equipment. I had no room and figured I'd get to it eventually. Well before eventually arrived my parents divorced and sold the house. All my stuff ended up in some trash can somewhere. :_|

*Returns to topic*

As said before the Skywalker twins remember their mother through the Force in different ways. Leia remembers her in images and feelings, Luke recalls her final words (if only subconsciously) and relies on them to save his father and subsequently the whole galaxy.

5. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I always go with the "through the Force all things are possible" explanation. I got the Vader's quest Marvel comic for Christmas. Like the new border around the name, Roland. ;)

6. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    There's a border around my name?

7. Get_in_Gear

Nov 29, 2004
    There's a name inside that border? :p

EDIT: And, hold on - weren't we discussing Obi's status as a General serving Bail Organa, rather than Leia's memories...?

8. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I'm so confused. [face_blush]

9. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    Obi-wan was a General serving the Republic in the Clone Wars. Bail Organa was a Senator representing the interests of the Republic. So what Leia was told was true. From a certain point of view.

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Just a side note, my mom knows better than to throw my comics away. Has since 1991. Palpatine as a clone was originally going to be Marvel's relaunching of the Star Wars universe, but then the rights expired and Dark Horse won out. Hell, Lucas liked Dark Empire and gave copies of the TPB to his staff for Christmas. Fortunately, the comics improved beyond Dark Empire.

11. inkswamp

inkswamp Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    This is a really contentious topic so I'll make this short and sweet, but I agree with this, and I believe this to be Lucas' intention with ROTS. There is nothing in the movies that contradicts the possibility of Luke and Leia sensing who Padme was through the force. In fact, there's a lot there that supports it. We know that children with high midi count and accidentally access force abilities (Anakin in TPM), we know that there are special bonds between force-sensitive family members (all over in ESB, ROTJ and AOTC), we know force users can sense friends and loved ones future and past (Yoda says this in ESB.) It's entirely likely that Lucas recast Leia's memories in ROTJ as force-induced. She likely dreamed of Padme as a child (as Anakin dreamt of his mother's fate) and mistakes those as memories in her adulthood.

Anyway, enough of that from me. Don't want to start any wars. [face_worried]

12. DINVADER_RETURNS

DINVADER_RETURNS Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2003
    Obi-wan was a General serving the Republic in the Clone Wars. Bail Organa was a Senator representing the interests of the Republic. So what Leia was told was true. From a certain point of view.

Actually based on that, it was true from ANY point of view.

13. Get_in_Gear

Nov 29, 2004
    Don't get me wrong - I'm glad the comics were relaunched, whoever got to do it in the end.
    I didn't realise Marvel were in the running with that same concept though...
    My only problem with Dark Horse, perhaps, is that the market seems saturated with SW titles. Many of those titles have been brilliant, but there is still that nagging feeling that the quality has been spread a little thin in some cases.

Being brought up on the UK comics format of serialised strips with more reader input, fact files, interviews, info and back-up strips and so on, the American style comics don't really recapture that magic for me.
    But obviously that's just my Anglophile point of view.

Yeah, the first Dark Empire was good.
    DE II and Empire's End were jut a bit silly and repetative for me...

Anyway - back on topic. :)
    Bail Organa is a member of the Senate.
    Obi was a general leading the grand Army of the Republic.
    To this end, Obi served the Senate during the Clone Wars, and therefore served Bail.
    That covers the piece of history expressed in Leia's plea as far as I'm concerned - as Dinvader says above, it makes sense however you cut it.

Any supplemental material such as the Labyrinth of Evil scenario and the Original Radio Drama is just the icing on the cake really - it's not necessary to actually understand what Leia is refering to.
    And it is pretty obvious that Bail has told Leia of Obi-Wan, that he is a trusted friend, and is to be contacted should if she ever is to run into trouble just from watching ANH.
    The version of events presented in the Orignial Radio Drama, again, fleshes this scenario out.
    I don't see any inherant problems in Leia's message in ANH at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.