main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Princess Leia Leia's ROTJ Battle of Endor costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Calixte, Jun 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calixte

Calixte Jedi Youngling star 4

May 3, 2002
    I'd like to put this costume together but am having trouble finding really good photos of the whole thing. Can anyone help me out?

Also, has anyone ever made this costume before? I have not see any reference to it in the Costuming FAQ's of in the threads.

Thanks.

Calixte

S_S edit: unlocking.

2. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Someone has here: http://www22.brinkster.com/princessleia/endorleia.html. Unfortunately, Brandi doens't have any pages up about research and making it yet, and her guestbook isn't working. But, she's a member of the Hothlanta group, if I remember correctly. Someone there might help you get in contact with her.

3. Calixte

May 3, 2002
    Thanks STPrincess! I just checked it out and she did an awesome job. I can't get over her Boushh costume.

Cali

4. Admiral_Daala

Admiral_Daala Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2000
    thanks for the compliments! :)
    I know EXACTLY what you mean when its hard to find pics of this costume... it was a real challenge!!! Unfortunately my mom and I spent a LOT of time going through the movie pausing and rewinding! There was also a great shot in the ROTJ trading cards.
    As far as patterns go... well the pants are basic stretch pants. The shirt and jacket we had to make up and modify other patterns. One can probably use a regular blouse/shirt pattern and add the pockets on the sleeves and roll the cuffs up. For the jacket, you could probably use some kind of vest pattern modified and add cap sleeves.
    hope this helps somewhat! :-D

Brandi

5. Calixte

May 3, 2002
    Hi Brandi,
    Thanks for finding the thread and posting. I was just trying to locate you to ask about the costume.

So, did you buy the stretch pants and then add the yellow stripe? Are they grey or khaki? They look different to me in different pics.

Also, do you remember what patterns you modified? And what kind of material you used? Finally where'd you get the boots?

Sorry for all the questions. I like to be as thorough as possible before starting a costume. I'm going to Fabric Row in Philly on Friday (4 blocks of all fabric stores with stuff from all over the world) and want to get started for an event that's coming up here in Philly.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jennifer

6. Admiral_Daala

Jul 30, 2000
    sorry for the double post...computer acted up on me heheheheee

7. Admiral_Daala

Jul 30, 2000
    ok let me see here :)

the pants- we bought the fabric, and added the trim on the side. The color is so tricky...im really peeved about it. Its a very light grey/periwinkle color... it has to be THE single hardest color to find in the universe!!!! My first pair of pants were the perfect color, but they werent stretch. I now have a pair of stretch pants, but theyre more of a sky blue.

shirt and jacket- so sorry, i dont remember the pattern numbers. We found one that had the same collar as her shirt. The jacket i think we pretty much made the whole thing up.
    The fabric was cotton shirting.

i lucked out on the boots, i found them at a shoe store in California a few years back. I was soooo worried considering the heel and boot hieght! i was spending time in goodwill places hoping for a great pair of 80s boots to show up. I did have to paint the sole of the boot that biege color as shown in the visual dictionary.

good luck!!! if theres any other questions just hollar! :)

Brandi

8. Calixte

May 3, 2002
    I have a couple of new questions:

What is the square thing on her shirt?

Where did you get your belt and holster?

Everything else you told me has been really helpful. Now that I've looked at the shirt again, it looks like a camp shirt with elbow length sleeves and a cuff. I think I saw a patter for that.

Yeah, I thought the pants color was tricky too..sometimes they look khaki and sometimes grey.

Thanks! You've been a big help Brandi!

This is going to be my backup costume for a charity event on 6-22.

9. Admiral_Daala

Jul 30, 2000
    The square thing on her shirt is some kind of rank badge. It was really hard to pick out the details on that, i still really havent.
    I found the holster at a military surplus store. It was tricky finding one the right size. I had bought a cast off the original prop gun she had used.
    The rest of the belt and pouches were hand made.
    glad to be of help! :)
    be sure to post pics when your done!!! ;)

10. Calixte

May 3, 2002
    I got a pretty good look at the rank insignia on Leia's shirt after playing and rewinding a couple dozen times. I drew it while looking at it and wrote down the colors of each thing. I'll try to make drawing and post it and then send a link.

Also, anyone know what size blaster holster Leia wears on this outfit? I think I found one but want to make sure it's the right size.

Thanks!

11. Scruff

Scruff Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    Leia's rank plaque is identical to Lando's, only hers is upside down and on the opposite side of the uniform. (the best I can tell) I think there's avery slight difference in Madine's, but it could be that every pic of him I've seen has been at a slight angle.

There is someone who is making these. I have ordered a set from him, but it hasn't arrived yet. If anyone wants to contact him, I'll PM you the info.

12. Calixte

May 3, 2002
    Well I did Endor Leia for two events so far but since there was a very short time frame I substituted black pants I already had for the grey ones.

Here's a link to some pictures.

Scruff, PM me that info...

Thanks!

13. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    Wow!!!!!!

That Tantiv IV was wayyyy too cool! Color me impressed. The truck was great, too. :D

Good to see you back around, Admiral_Daala. Great job on the costumes, as always. :D

14. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Bumping this really old thread to show some progress pics of my Endor Battle Leia costume. I've got the pants and poncho totally done, the undershirt almost there, and the outer vest is next. The helmet is in the works as well, that's going to be fun. Pictures of the costume on so far. I hadn't tucked the undershirt in, that's why it looks so goofy there. I'll get some pics of the individual parts really soon.

15. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Unlocked for recent query :)

16. Verdaera

Verdaera Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2005
    Thanks S_S :D

I am working on this costume... I finished my pants, though now that I look at more pictures I could have made them a bit more relaxed fit. Oh well, I look good in them anyway ;)

[image=http://www.rebelshaven.com/images/costumes/endortroop/endorpants002.jpg]

But I had a question about Leia's sleeves on this one. I can see that the pocket must have some kind of band of fabric sewn to it to make it three dimensional instead of a flat pocket, but it also looks like the last half of the pocket isn't attached to the sleeve. Also I heard from one or two sources that the sleeve is folded up, but beside a blurry pic or two with weird shadowing that looks like it's folded up, I see no evidence of that. Anyone have any insight on how to make the pocket do what it does? Any exhibit pics? I've captured as many pictures as I can from the movie itself. Lando's sleeve has a similar pocket, but it doesn't look semi-detached like hers do :p

Here's all the sleeve images I could possibly find... I guess the detachment (the pocket is still backed of course) starts where the sleeve fold ends?

[image=http://www.rebelshaven.com/images/costumes/endortroop/sleevestudy.jpg]

http://www.rebelshaven.com/images/costumes/endortroop/sleevestudy.jpg

17. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    You'll want to look for patterns that have a "vented" or "accordion" pockets. For example, the Dawn Anderson's Falcon jacket pattern has patterns for the various accordion pockets with very clear instructions. You would have to add a back to the pocket so it's more like a case with a flap than a pocket but they're fairly easy to do. You could even use a simple box purse pattern for it instead of a pocket pattern and that might be far easier.

After looking at the images that I have and those online, and it's definitely only partially attached from the top flap down to about the middle, though it's unclear if it's slipstitched down or topstitched down (my instincts lean toward it being slipstitched since I can't see any topstitching except perhaps on the pocket flap). One screencap from Realm of Royalty shows the pocket sticking out straight while the cuff is crushed with the bend of Carrie's arm:

[image=http://realmofroyalty.homestead.com/files/leia_endorscreen08.jpg]

The promo shots show the cuff tucked under the pocket as seen here:

[image=http://realmofroyalty.homestead.com/files/leia_endorpromo01.jpg]

While shots from the film show the sleeve with the pocket tucked beneath the cuff:

[image=http://realmofroyalty.homestead.com/files/leia_endorscreen57.jpg]

As to whether the cuff is fake or not, it could be either you wish. You could take a long sleeve, roll it under around 3-4", topstitch it, then roll it back up just short of revealing the topstitching, press and tack down. Or you could make the cuff a separate piece, sewn to an elbow-length sleeve, then rolled up, pressed and tacked.

Interestingly, the high-res of the promo shot shows what looks to be a French seam just inside the cuff, so perhaps it's simply a basic sleeve with a clean French seam rolled up twice, but I can't seem to confirm it in any other shot at the moment since you can never seem to see the sleeve seam:

[image=http://realmofroyalty.homestead.com/files/leia_endorpromo01hr.jpg]

Either way, it wouldn't be clean to just make a sleeve and roll it up, so either rolling under then up a full sleeve or making the cuff a separate piece to roll up should work because the look would be clean - either would be valid. :)

Although on a related note, the 12" Endor Poncho Leia doll has the cuff a separate piece of the sleeve itself, though the sleeve seam was the last thing sewn so the sleeve seam peeks out and it makes me wonder why they bothered making the cuff a separate piece to begin with. But 12" doll clothes are always somewhat suspect since it's for a doll and not a person but it makes me wonder why they bothered making the cuff a separate piece - perhaps to duplicate a fake sleeve used in the original?

18. Verdaera

Apr 25, 2005
    Hmmm, I was thinking accordion pocket except it didn't look boxy, but now that I see that big promo pic I see the seam, it looks like the bottom part of it is pushed out. Thanks for those pics and the insights :) We'll see how it turns out

19. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    Best of luck and I'm sure it'll turn out great! :)

20. Verdaera

Apr 25, 2005
    Thanks again :)

Posted my Pants Tutorial for future perusers of this thread :)

http://www.rebelshaven.com/etpants.html

21. AmmersVI

AmmersVI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2005
    I finished mine. It's not perfect but it works for me. I used the exact same pattern for the vest as the shirt. I just added some extra seams on the vest where needed.

22. Verdaera

Apr 25, 2005
    Finished the shirt. The lapel isn't as open in the pic as it's supposed to be, but it really is close to Leia's neckline.

[image=http://www.rebelshaven.com/images/costumes/endortroop/endorshirtdev.jpg]

23. Verdaera

Apr 25, 2005
    Finished the tutorial for the shirt if anyone's interested in it :)
    Made a printable pattern for the pocket as well

http://www.rebelshaven.com/etshirt.html

24. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    Nice work!

25. Verdaera

Apr 25, 2005
    Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.