main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Leland Chee reveals the main reason for the reboot!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Hamburger_Time, Jan 17, 2018.

1. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    That was what I thought originally as well however they just released this month the cover for issue #27 and it has Poe talking to Rey and Finn (and the only time that could have taken place was post TLJ as Finn would have been in a coma before that). The trades for the new canon comics are all selling extremely well so they may keep series going even if the single issues get a little low for those reasons. Volume 1 of the Poe series released over a year ago still sold over 350 TPB's last month for instance.

@Dr. Steve Brule bookstores in general are struggling so it is no surprise that they are holding fewer than they once did. Heck half of my local B&N is dedicated to selling non book material these days.

2. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Whenever I go to Barnes and Nobles I actually see less Star Wars legends books.

Often I have to ask the person at the desk to place books on order.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  3. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Never had trouble finding SW bookd at my own B&N. There's usually a healthy backlog of SW books (NuCanon and Legends) as well as a stand with some of the new books out.

DarthJaceus likes this.
  4. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    These days it's the Warhammer 40K books that dominate the 'franchise' section. [face_dunno]

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  5. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Speaking of Leland Chee apparently in January he stated that they never had any concrete plans for how to bridge the gap between Crucible and Legacy.

Which I think is intriguing-both in terms of story potential and whatever was going on in the writer's room.

Because we should remember it's a big gap in IU terms. 82 years from the end of crucible to the beginning of the Sith Imperial war. The previous post ROTJ EU had covered only 40 IU years.

At the same time I recall them saying something to the effect of their not being any major conflicts IU during this period. Which would have made them work for story ideas.

And they would have had to deal with killing off the whole or most of the surviving cast of Crucible and FOTJ.

What really gets me about this is how much potential there was still for legends stories and at the same time how limited their options were if they wanted to retain continuity.

blackmyron and kalzeth like this.
  6. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    We can just pretend that a small upstart group known as the Knights of Ren showed up after Crucible, killed Luke, Han and Leia, and attempted to take over the galaxy. The Imperial Remnant and Galactic Alliance combined to defeat them, and the remaining Knights of Ren were pardoned and absorbed into the Empire founding the Imperial Knights. Since the whole incident lasted less than a year (just like the ST so far), and aside from killing the Big 3 had no effect on the galactic order, it's not mentioned in Legacy.

So, basically the same thing happened in Legends that happened in canon. :kylo:

Fallen Jedi Master likes this.
  7. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Problem is the timeline doesn't work-34 years vs. 45 years after ROTJ.

8. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    These are just generic guys called Knights of Ren. Maybe Snoke decided to do things 10 years later in the Legends universe. It's a completely different universe, ages don't need to match up. It's a broad strokes Legends sequel trilogy. Obviously there would be no Kylo Ren, there would still be a Jedi order, Luke will die another way since projection isn't fatal etc.

9. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    There's a lot of similarities, but some details are different; a Jakku battle is likely in the EU, for instance, but Sloane would've likely gone to join Palpatine in the Deep Core rather than the Unknown Regions.

DarthJaceus and kalzeth like this.
  10. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    This would make all the difference. While in canon, Snoke has the old Empire to work with, in Legends he would only have some wannabes (nameless Knights of Ren). It's probably why he waits 10 years longer in Legends.

He may get lucky and kill the big 3 in Legends, but the retaliation by both the Galactic Alliance and the Imperial Remnant (it's Jag and Jaina's family that Snoke wiped out) would be so swift it's not even funny. Snoke is put down and his attempt at dominance is so insignificant to not warrant a mention a century later in Legacy.

My original theory was that in Legends, reborn Palpatine killed Legends Snoke before he became any trouble. Now after seeing how weak Snoke was in 8, I'm thinking reborn Palpatine probably wouldn't even have bothered to waste his time. The Vong, Jacen, Abeloth, etc then scared Snoke to stay in hiding in Legends far longer than he did in canon.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    kalzeth and Malachi108 like this.
  11. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    There is no way to reconcile the canons. They are at best alternate timelines with divergences in deep time(like thousands of years deep time).

Hamburger_Time likes this.
  12. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
  13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I never made a deal with Sinrebirth. :D

14. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, I think Sinrebirth is doing an awesome job... but I'm already working on what you're suggesting here. I'm looking more for a 'major divergence' after Endor, however; pre-Endor, a lot of it can work with little change (so far); we'll see how Solo shakes out with reference to the EU trilogy.

15. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I wasn't reconciling them. I was saying broad stroke versions of the ST could happen after Crucible, but happened differently. The way Kirk became captain of the Enterprise and Pike getting crippled in both Abramsverse and prime Star Trek, or Khan attacking the Enterprise in both canons.

For Legends, the basic idea is Legends Snoke kills the big 3 after Crucible, dies, and things go on towards Legacy. All other details are different. There is no Kylo and Snoke is nowhere close to conquering the galaxy, he just got lucky against the big 3.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    Sinrebirth likes this.
  16. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    From what I've heard, Lucas liked the Darth Talon design as soon as he saw her and liked it so much he wanted to freeze Maul and send him forward in time to Legacy so they'd meet up. One of the concepts for the Darth Maul game has Darth Krayt in it.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Wait Lucas actually understood Talon was nearly a century and half in the future?

Because I heard somewhere he didn't understand that Talon was set in the future.

I guess maybe someone at Lucasfilm explained that to him and he was "well then freeze Maul so they can meet up"

I guess that's plausible.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    kalzeth and SpecForce Trooper like this.
  18. Fallen Jedi Master

Fallen Jedi Master Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2017
    j have that comic yes it was tame, considering these days people what everything to be very soft

19. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    The Xizor/Leia scene is pretty mild and nothing of an explicit nature actually happens-it very nearly does because IIRC Leia was under his "spell" or his pheromones as it was until Chewbacca intervened.

20. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    It's sad a lot more thought wasn't put into this reboot and it was hastily done. It's like Disney got a massive gift and then junked 50% of it to reach a mainstream audience that isn't even bothering for Solo now.

I wonder what could have been with my idea where only Legacy is decanonized: In 44 ABY after Chewie is found alive, Jaina as Kira Ren would kill Ben Skywalker as her first step to the Dark Side, and Luke disbanding the Jedi and going to hiding in grief could have given us the same ST we are getting now.

All the other EU stuff could have been recapped in a few lines of dialogue the general audience can ignore (Jaina's brothers died trying to live up to being Jedi and she's angry at the Jedi lifestyle, Luke's wife died years ago).

There was a chance to have a literal 40+ year head start over all the other franchises like DC, Star Trek, Dr. Who, and yes even Disney's own MCU (which has minimal EU other than those tie in comics). Now SW is just no different from them.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    kalzeth likes this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Well I wouldn't go that far at all, the reveal of the mastermind baddie in Solo is based upon having watched multiple cartoon episodes across the years (mostly Clone Wars cartoons from almost 5 years ago). No other mainstream movie franchise has played different medium continuity hopscotch like LFL just did.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  22. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Oh god this again.

Daneira and Jedi Princess like this.
  23. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Sorry :(

24. Fallen Jedi Master

Apr 13, 2017
    theres no winning on eather side i gave up and made my own personal canon to please myself

25. Fallen Jedi Master

Apr 13, 2017
    Agreed we are post to be lovers of star wars now it feels like parents geting a divorce

The Positive Fan likes this.