main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Length of Episode 7

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Darkslayer, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    How long would you all like TFA to be?

2. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    A little longer than 2 hours, somewhere around 135 minutes or so.

3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I'll say between 2 hours 15 minutes and 2 hours 30 minutes (same as I said in the 7SA version of this thread).

4. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Yeah, probably 2:15ish.

ALso known as: long enough to regret the two pints before the film and the large Coke during it.

5. DarthWilliams

May 29, 2008
    Ha! As someone with an embarrassingly overactive bladder, I hear that. I'll likely choose a theater that lets you choose your seats and make sure I'm on the end of an aisle just in case.

hippie1kenobi likes this.
  6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    That's the reason I never drink anything prior to- or during the movie. And I also make sure to have time for a pre-emptive pee :p

7. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    How do you eat popcorn during the movie then!:eek:

8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I don't.

Lulu_Mars likes this.
  9. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Movie+Popcorn+Butter+Cheese+Candy+Water=Good time tho!:D

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  10. hippie1kenobi

Apr 28, 2002
    Double-:eek:
    ;-)

11. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Well, I'm severly allergic to milk protein so butter and cheese goes out the window. And I simply don't like eating during a movie (at home, absolutely, but not at the cinema).

12. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    To the first, oh no, that stinks, how do you live without milk! Fair enough to the second:)

13. Darth Scouser

Darth Scouser Jedi Youngling

Oct 12, 2014
    Considering that it will be setting up in all likelihood a new scenario in the Star Wars continuity, I would like to see it being a rather long and filled out film, say 2 hours 30 minutes? that would make it the longest SW yet wouldn't it?

14. DarthWilliams

May 29, 2008
    For comparison's sake:
    Phantom Menace: 136 minutes
    Attack of the Clones: 142 minutes
    Revenge of the Sith: 140 minutes
    A New Hope: 125 minutes
    Empire Strikes Back: 127 minutes
    Return of the Jedi: 136 minutes

The PT averaged 10 minutes more per film than the OT. I don't think we'll see a crazy departure from these times (2.5 hours would be pushing it, I think), but I do think it'd make sense for TFA to be on the longer end of this spectrum given that they do need to establish the state of the galaxy and a bunch of new characters, which can be really hard to do just in a crawl.

15. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, I wouldn't really mind a 2.5 hours movie, but absolutely not longer than that. I don't want a three hour+ Star Wars movie. I'd rather have a well-paced two hours, fifteen minutes film.

16. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes, editing is important. A good movie requires good pacing and including what needs to be there. None of this "the more the better" Middle-earth movie style filmmaking with movies that are 3 hours (or more) long, and then a second version later on DVD (Extended Editions) that's even longer and includes even more stuff. :p

solo77 likes this.
  17. DarthWilliams

May 29, 2008
    I think that strategy worked for Peter Jackson with the LOTR movies when there was a ton of source content to work with, but fell apart with the Hobbit when the book they were adapting was much shorter. Since there's no source content being adapted for TFA, shorter could ultimately mean better.

18. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I am one of the fans of extended versions. If it's not all just filler, and the extended scenes are good (favorites are Middle earth saga, Kingdom of Heaven, and Robin Hood) and bring something to the story. I've always wished SW would do extended versions, as some of the deleted scenes are great.

That being said, I don't mind at all if the TFA (or the ST) is longer-anywhere from 2 1/2 to 3 hours. But I do see the sense in keeping it close to 2 hours-or about 2:10, if only to be consistent with the rest of the saga...

My "official" prediction is it will be somewhere near the 2:15 mark.

Alienware likes this.
  19. hippie1kenobi

Apr 28, 2002
    I prefer leaving a film thinking it was 10 minutes too short, rather than thinking it was 10 minutes too long, or even just right. It tells me the pacing was right and that I was sucked into the story. It's odd, but especially when it is part of a series I don't really want to feel completely satisfied at the end.

Always leave them wanting more.

Lulu_Mars and DARTH_BELO like this.
  20. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    [​IMG]
    :p

KED12345 likes this.
  21. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Darkslayer : Yeah, I thought you'd like that. :p

Darkslayer likes this.
  22. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I get that. And I guess this is one of those "to each their own" things. Cos for me, (although I don't like unneccessarily drawn-out movies) there's nothing more frustrating than feeling that a movie felt too rushed, and leaving the theater feeling like it would've benefitted from another half hour. There are several movies I've seen/enjoyed that I felt this way for. One of the most obvious ones in my mind is X Men: The Last Stand. IMO, there was just so much more they couldv'e done with that one. Another 20 minutes would've benefitted the pace greatly. There are others, but I'm not going to list them all-this IS a Star Wars thread after all!! ;)

23. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    They're probably aiming for approximately 2 hours and my guess is it'll end up being about 130 minutes long.
    I also think it'll feel just right. We'll have plenty of time to get introduced to new characters, experience the first stage of the trilogy's plot and get really excited - and we'll probably be left itching to see what happens next

24. hippie1kenobi

Apr 28, 2002
    I watched Star Wars last night and it really solidified the point it was trying to make above. It's not about the movie being rushed, it's about the pacing, editing, and story structure leaving you wanting more.

Visualize the pacing on a graph, sort of shaped like the Nike swoosh. It starts out in media res with the Star Destroyer and Tantive IV, but after about 10 minutes it settles down, only to slowly and steadily build until the the end of the film. With only a couple brief plateus, it continually gains intensity for the last 60 minutes, with only the slightest mellowing out at the end. It's what..less than five minutes from the destruction of the DS to the iris out. The pulse is still elevated when the credits are rolling and one is left with the feeling of having to watch it again.

That, regardless of actual length in minutes, is what I want from TFA.

25. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I am expecting about 2 hours and 15 minutes. I really doubt they would make it any longer than 2 and a half hours.