main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Leonardo Di Caprio would've made a better Anakin

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by yodaschum, Sep 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yodaschum

yodaschum Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2002
    He's a star in his own right, so he wouldn't have taken **** off of Lucas. One of the problems with the PT is Lucas has chosen wimpy actors/actresses like Christensen and Portman who just go along with everything George says. You need more people like Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher who'd say: "go to hell George, I want to improvise this scene myself and change the dialogue too".

YJ edit: This is going nowhere.

2. jedi_ginny

jedi_ginny Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 25, 2002
    Oh, gawd! Not again! I hope this doesn't turn out to become a "bash Hayden to prove someone else is better" thread.

3. homeless_jedi

homeless_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    [face_laugh] alright man!

4. hanshootsfirst

hanshootsfirst Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 20, 2001
    With the exception of the fireplace scene, I liked HC's performance.

Still, it would've been interesting to see LD's interpretation.

5. EnforcerSG

EnforcerSG Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2001
    No

AOTC was good.

Dont rock the boat.

6. Twelve_Motion

Twelve_Motion Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 12, 2002
    *sigh*

Leo would not have made a better Anakin. And if that were the case I'm sure George would have chose him. There are many things that Hayden has over Leonerdo. One is his age difference, Dicaprio was too old for Anakin's role. He doesn't have the presence that Hayden does. And quite frankly I can't even begin too see Leo as Darth Vader. It just makes me laugh. But I respect your opinion. :)

7. hanshootsfirst

Nov 20, 2001
    Of course AOTC was good. It needed a little more finesse from HC in that pesky fireplace scene, but I still liked him.

But where Portman is concerned, I'll rock the boat til the cows come home.

Her work was not sound.

8. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    No, he wouldn't have.

9. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    It's not even funny how much of a bait thread this is. I think I'll pass.

10. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2002
    And what makes you so sure that the actors don't put in any input about how a scene should be acted out? I remember reading in one of the Homing Beacons that Hayden did go back and forth with Lucas about how the confession scene would be performed. Personally I'm not a big DiCaprio fan, I thought Hayden did fine as Anakin.

11. yodaschum

yodaschum Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2002
    Christenens performance was WEAK. He has no screen presence. He FAILED to make a decent potrayal of Anakin. The character of Anakin was made for a strong, heroic, leading man. Alot of you are criticising Portmans performance, but what hope has she got when she has no leading man to play off of? Even Mark Hamill had a stronger screen presence than Christensen. You rooted for Mark Hamill.

12. hanshootsfirst

Nov 20, 2001
    OK whoah. NP sucks monkeys. HC is a good actor. I think he errs on the side of being earnest to the point of avoiding finding subtext/depth (once again, fireplace scene...eek), but NP does nothing on screen. She allows herself to be filmed...period.

I'm with you on Mark Hammill though. His work in the trilogy is very underrated.

13. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    I agree with the idea that Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher's input very likely brought much to the quality performances we see on screen, I've thought about this myself. Although Dicaprio is a very good actor I like the fact that Hayden is a virtual unknown much like Mark Hamill was.

14. AUNTIE_JEDI

AUNTIE_JEDI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    No, not again... :(

Star in his own right... well, have anybody heard anything of Leo before that Romeo stuff? Or Titanic? Leo has also his start.

Romeo's role has been Leo's best and basically, he was ok in Titanic but I believe if GL had casted him as Anakin we would have seen Leonardo di Skywalker not Anakin... IMO today's Leo is full of mannerism.

Hayden was a perfect choice. SW is a good start for him and he is gonna make a huge carreer :)

15. bebbie

bebbie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2002
    Leo Di Caprio as Anakin!!! You have got to be joking!!!! No, sorry. I was definitely one of the MANY who breathed a huge sigh when his name was not read out at casting time. (And I think Ewan did too!) [face_mischief]

As for Hayden - I LOVED his performance, he was perfect. Can't wait to see him in Ep3.

16. jedi_ginny

jedi_ginny Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 25, 2002
    "Alot of you are criticising Portmans performance, but what hope has she got when she has no leading man to play off of?"

*** Isn't this supposed to be a vice-versa thing? I'm not saying anything bad about Nat. I'm just saying it's a two-way thing, so don't blame it all on Hayden.

"The character of Anakin was made for a strong, heroic, leading man. "

*** I beg to disagree. Anakin is a tortured soul, he's very sensitive (Force-sensitive, as well as emotionally sensitive). The actor who plays him also has to be able to convey that sensitivity, power, arrogance, and vulnerability at the same time, so the actor doesn't necessarily have to be strong and heroic. I think Hayden does fine with all the aspects of Anakin's character.

"Christenens performance was WEAK. He has no screen presence. He FAILED to make a decent potrayal of Anakin. "

*** This is all really a matter of opinion. He's fine and effective to me, he doesn't work for you. We can all coexist. :D

17. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    Why is there another Hayden-bashing thread here? He's a great actor, one of the best I've seen in a long time--much better than DiCaprio. George picked him because of his screen presence. Get over it.

18. Sith Interceptor

Sith Interceptor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 1999
    it would almost be comical if Yodaschum was Leonardo Di Caprio.

19. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    Leonardo DiCaprio
    Christian Bale
    Ryan Phillipe
    Chad Allen

Then again, give them the AOTC script and director George Lucas, and who knows what will happen.

20. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Kaui-Gone-Jim Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 19, 2002
    Leo...

as Anikin?

*(Tee Hee Hee!!! Tee Hee! Hee!)

*(Even the Jawas can't take this thread suggestion very seriously - and I can't either!)

21. homeless_jedi

homeless_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    where is a mod..when you actually need them [face_plain]

22. baggles

baggles Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Yeah Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford, while making their first major film, stood up to George and put him in his place... :)

The myths you guys create...

23. The Butler

The Butler Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 1999
    *remembers the horror that was The Beach*

To quote Monty Python and the Holy Grail:

Run away! Run away!

24. Sith Interceptor

Sith Interceptor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 1999
    it's laughable some of the stories that have manifested over the years.

25. STACCO

STACCO Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2002
    Well, apart form being a "melon" face like Lloyd and Sebastian....

NO WAY!!

But yes, he'd make that melon-face continuty come to life...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.