Leonardo Di Caprio would've made a better Anakin

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by yodaschum, Sep 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnakinSlave Jedi Knight

star 3
    This entire thread is foolish! Nothing new has been stated since it first started. You are obviously pleading an argument on deaf ears. Give it up already!

And stating that Lucas ruined AOTC sounds pretty hateful to me. Do us a favor, please don't view AOTC anymore, okay? Go watch your Leo films and continue to dream on.
  2. anakin_girl Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    logansmiddleclaw: And who was supposed to write and cast AOTC? You?

It always cracks me up when people say "George Lucas ruined Star Wars", or any of the various films of SW. Well, sorry that his writing/directing/casting his story ruined the way you wanted his story to come out, but...tough. Get over it. Find another fandom if you don't like it.

Dooku: Thanks for giving an actor's perspective on this. I don't think most people appreciate the difficulty that goes into portraying a complex character like Anakin, especially when there are so many expectations out there of what he is supposed to be like based on earlier films, as well as a director with a very definitive vision.

The first time I saw Hayden act was in an episode of "Higher Ground". I watched the show right after he was chosen to play Anakin, just because I wanted to see an example of his acting. I wasn't planning to watch it more than once. But I was absolutely blown away by Hayden's talent...my immediate reaction was, "Oh...my...God...how old is this kid, and where did he learn to perform like that?" I now have all 22 episodes of "Higher Ground" on tape along with Life as a House on DVD. Hayden has been called a "young Marlon Brando" and the "next James Dean" (this by the teachers at the performing arts high school he graduated from, based on their experiences seeing him in school plays). Lucas struck gold when he found Hayden.

AnakinSlave is right. This thread was made strictly to bash Hayden, and I'm going to request that it be locked. It's ridiculous. I'll reiterate what AS said--go watch your Leo movies and don't buy a copy of the AOTC DVD--more for the rest of us.
  3. Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost

star 4
    ANAKIN GIRL -- What's got you so upset? Are you now resorting to telling people "AOTC didn't meet your expectations"??? That's a weak one.

What's wrong with people not liking the movie or not liking Hayden's performance? Why can people not critique? You're requesting this locked just because poor libble Haydey-Waydey is being criticized? I say let free thought reign!

And again, I can't say Leo would be a great Anakin. We never got to see it. but I do think it's funny how people have such a knee-jerk reaction his name. By next year, when he has finished "Catch Me If You Can". "Gangs of New York" and the Alexander the Great Biopic, he will be considered one of the biggest actors of our generation. Meanwhile Hayden will be seen as Darth Vader and have to avoid the post SW path of Mark Hamill. Which I hope he does.

I guess fate is not without a sense of irony.
  4. One-with-the-Force Jedi Master

star 4
    Simply put: Leo and Star Wars can't mix.
  5. anakin_girl Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    G_D_S:

What's got you so upset? Are you now resorting to telling people "AOTC didn't meet your expectations"??? That's a weak one.

Ummm...I never said that. I was criticizing logansmiddleclaw for implying, as many fanboys have, that they themselves could have written SW better than Lucas did. I think that assumption is beyond conceited, considering that SW is Lucas' story.

What's wrong with people not liking the movie or not liking Hayden's performance? Why can people not critique? You're requesting this locked just because poor libble Haydey-Waydey is being criticized? I say let free thought reign!

This isn't about critiquing or free thought. This is about the fact that a thread was created just to bash Hayden (and not to give constructive, useful criticism on his performance, but to flame him as a person as well as flame his performance--your calling him names in your post proves my point), and about the fact that, as AnakinSlave said, nothing new has been said on this thread in the past 200 posts out of 230 total.

I have yet to see anyone give a criticism about Hayden's performance that I couldn't argue with--the reason being, most of the criticisms have come from fanboys who don't like him because a) they don't like the female attention he gets, and they're jealous; or b) they don't like Anakin Skywalker and, by blurring fantasy and reality, they confuse Anakin with the actor who plays him.

EDIT: I now have it on good authority that this thread is being watched, because it is, as I suspected, a trolling thread.
  6. LightBird51 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I can't believe that here we are less than a year away from the filming of Ep3 and some of you guys are still whining about who wasn't chosen to play Anakin. Don't you think it's time to get on to something else? George picked Hayden, he did a great job. No actor pleases everybody all of the time, that's just a plain fact. You also seem to keep overlooking the elementary fact that Leo is just too darn old to play Anakin. There's no way he can look 19. Hayden did..... We're not talking about the cure for cancer...just sit back and enjoy the movie for Pete's sake...
  7. Logansmiddleclaw Jedi Knight

star 1
    Anakin-girl, I never implied that I should write the film. I'm not a writer. But as a consumer, I know what a bad script is. A bad script can make any actor look bad. I'm sure Hayden is a competent actor. But it didn't show in AOTC. And the blame falls on Lucas not Hayden. He is the director. It's not just me that feels this way, but many SW fanboys as well. I am a fan of the originals (the first two at least), but these brand new films just lack the heart & soul of the original. While the effects are mind blowing, FX does not make a film.

8. Jesse_James Jedi Knight

star 1
    I think I, moi, should have wrote Episode II and called it 'The episode after the first one but the one before the third one' and cast Woody Allen as Anakin and Joan Collins as Padme.
  9. Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost

star 4
    ANAKIN-GIRL-- Free thought means those thoughts you don't agree with. Like those that ONLY bash Hayden. If people are dissatisified with his performance that's their right!

Like I saidm I can't say Leo would have been a great Anakin. Who knows? But I thought Hayden was okay. I don't care that is a good looking guy who woman like or whatever other juvenille reason you are trying to put into people's mouths. If you really thought that was an amazing performance, fine. But when people are laughing out loud and cracking jokes during your serious "romance" scenes, that is not good.

And instead of telling people to go watch Leo movies, maybe you should realize that you do not have to participate in this thread.
  10. anakin_girl Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Logansmiddleclaw: I grew up on the OT myself--I was five when ANH first hit the theaters, and I still remember my eight-year-old gasp of horror at hearing "I am your father" for the first time (and the horrible anxiety waiting three years to find out if Vader was telling the truth). However, the prequels are not disappointing me at all. My favorite scene in the OT is Vader's redemption in ROTJ--ever since I saw that, I've wanted Anakin Skywalker's back story, and with the prequels, I'm getting it.

I heard not too long ago that a lot of us Gen Xers are complaining about the PT, that it doesn't compare to the OT, because when the OT came out, we were actually at the right age for the movies. The movies were created for younger people, mainly kids, Lucas said--not for 30-to-40-year-olds. At our age, while I don't consider myself old by any means, the experience is not going to be the same.

I think I'm probably one of the rare Gen-Xers whose enjoyment of the PT has actually increased my appreciation of the OT. I can appreciate the character of Vader more when I see where he has come from. And I think Lucas is doing a great job, and is one of the world's greatest modern geniuses.
  11. Logansmiddleclaw Jedi Knight

star 1
    "I heard not too long ago that a lot of us Gen Xers are complaining about the PT, that it doesn't compare to the OT, because when the OT came out, we were actually at the right age for the movies. The movies were created for younger people, mainly kids, Lucas said--not for 30-to-40-year-olds. At our age, while I don't consider myself old by any means, the experience is not going to be the same."

I'm approching 36 and to this day I still enjoy the OT. The original films were not aimed at children (I don't care what Lucas says), they were aimed at young adults & teenagers. Children just went along for the ride. The PT may be for children but many adults like myself simply didn't like it. I'm happy that you did. As an adult I still like family films if done right (Toy Story 1 & 2, Shrek, Monster Inc. etc). These are all family films which were enjoyed by both adults & children.

I really dislike the notion that the only way to enjoy the PT is to make yourself think like a child.

I just hope that GL give us the dark emotional punch in the third & final film.

12. Jedilisa Jedi Master

star 3
    Leonardo Di Caprio is not Darth Vader material. He is more Titanic material and that makes him great for that. Hayden did a great job portraying Anakin Skywalker,He was supposed to "Act" the way he did, we have to remember anakin is still a young boy becoming a man. Hayden did just that. Hayden did give his input to George Lucas while they were filming. For, instance, when he confesses to padme about killing all The Tuscan Raiders, George did not want him to cry,but, Hayden insisted that anakin should show some imotion, so, George agreed and it was a wise decision.It shows Anakin's tender side. We also, have to remember that EP2:AOTC was a Love Story, and it has to show romance. Natalie and Hayden did a great job portraying their characters,yes, her acting wasn't the greatest but in the love scences she was great. She and Hayden have "Chemistry" and it shows. I can't picture her with Leonardo because he just isn't Star Wars material, He just isn't Darth Vader. He is too old for the role. So, hopefully I have not made anyone upset with my comments.I am just speaking my mind. Thanks!!
  13. anakin_girl Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    For myself, I don't need a "dark emotional punch". I need to be able to understand why Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader; I need to see the pieces of the puzzle that we have now, finally put together. I need to see some sort of tie-in with the OT, in where Luke succeeded in resisting Palpatine whereas Anakin didn't. Lucas has said that the film is going to be dark--and how could it not be?--but I don't think it has to be too dark in order to answer our questions as fans. I'll be bringing a box of tissues to the theater anyway, but I still hope not to leave the theater with my stomach in knots.
  14. BIG_BEN Jedi Knight

star 3
    Leo is also too short. You'd have to have used someone taller like, say, Jude Law. There's a thought. Yeah, he's too old, but he doesn't really look it.
  15. Handmaiden_Sabe Jedi Knight

star 1
    I completely agree...while Leo is a fine actor in his own right, he's no Anakin. While I'm sure he's capable of the depth it will take to complete the prequels, I've not seen it. Hayden, however, has proven that he can play sweet and caring as well as dark and mysterious.

I went into AOTC with no expectations having successfully steered clear of the news and hype. I knew nothing of Hayden or his work before, but I was instantly captivated by this man who captured all aspects of Jake Lloyds young Anakin, as well as the man we all knew as Vadar.

I can't wait to see the magic of Episode 3.
  16. anakin_girl Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    G_D_S:

Free thought means those thoughts you don't agree with. Like those that ONLY bash Hayden.

Bashing is not "thought", it's juvenile name-calling, and I personally would like for this to be a mature board, not a place where jealous, disgruntled, and immature fanboys can come amuse themselves by throwing baseless insults at someone who isn't here to defend themselves. If Hayden were a poster on this board and people were doing what you suggest, it wouldn't be their "right"--they would be banned for flaming. Just because he's a famous actor doesn't mean he should be a free target for your insults. This is why I don't watch "Saturday Night Live" or any of those other shows that make fun of celebrities--I think it's rude.

Besides, your opinion doesn't have much merit if you can't back it up with something substantial, does it?

If you really thought that was an amazing performance, fine. But when people are laughing out loud and cracking jokes during your serious "romance" scenes, that is not good.

I saw the movie ten times, and no one ever did that in any of the theaters I was in. Besides, even if someone had, I would have assumed it was just some fanboy who can't stand to watch a love scene in Star Wars, and would rather watch a three-hour-long plotless movie consisting only of Jedi shooting at bad guys.

And instead of telling people to go watch Leo movies, maybe you should realize that you do not have to participate in this thread.

That would make you real happy, wouldn't it? So you could call Hayden names in peace?
  17. Jedilisa Jedi Master

star 3
    If you LOVE Leonardo Di Caprio that much go to the Leonardio Di Caprio chat-rooms and discuss how good he is and whine to them how he should have been casted for the role of Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader. Hayden IS Anakin Skywalker and that is it. If you can tell what talent is why aren't you in Hollywood? Leonardo Di Caprio is just not Star Wars material, He is just NOT Darth Vader-So, quit your whining about it and come to the reality that Hayden is Anakin.SO,STOP BASHING HIM!!!!
  18. One-with-the-Force Jedi Master

star 4
    Haha! Leo wouldn't be able to kiss anyone in a Vader suit.
  19. Kessel Runner Manager Emeritus

star 6
    a_g, you know you're a dear friend, but I think you're looking for too much from this board. AOTC board is largely about juvenile behavior...as is much of the JC in general. The average of users is in their early to mid teens. Us old folks are the rare ones.

Yes, the OT was geared towards younger people...that means teenagers and below. Both of you are right about this point.

GDS, a_g is right. Bashing is not critical thinking. It is not serious expression of opinion. It is name-calling and immature.
  20. Ti-Hua Jedi Padawan

I would rather have seen Eminem as Anakin than Di Crap io
  21. One-with-the-Force Jedi Master

star 4
    I would rather have seen Eminem as Anakin than Di Crap io - Ti-Hua

Yeah, then we wouldn't need John Williams. ;)
  22. lori71 Jedi Master

star 4
    Heck...while we're at it:

J.R.R. Tolkein would've made a better author.
    Peter Jackson would've made a better director.
    Elijah Wood would've made a better Anakin.
    Liv Tyler would've made a better Padme.
    Christopher Lee would've made a better Dooku. ;)

Hey, are we talking about Star Wars anymore?
  23. anakin_girl Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    "May I have your attention please
    Will the real Chosen One please stand up...

You all act like you've never seen a Jedi before
    Jaws all on the floor
    Like Yoda and Yaddle just burst through the door
    And he started whipping her ass with a lightsaber just like before..."

ROTFLMAO! [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]
  24. MobartZmuda Jedi Master

star 4
    That's hilarious Anakin_Girl. What about:
    "You don't wanna (edit) with Vader. Cuz Vader will (edit) kill you!"

Even "Cleaning out my closet" would work some what.
  25. MobartZmuda Jedi Master

star 4
    Sorry Grilled-Sarlacc, I didn't mean to be offensive.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.