main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Leonardo Di Caprio would've made a better Anakin

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by yodaschum, Sep 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Fromupnorth

Darth_Fromupnorth Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 4, 2001
    Vaders_Clone: I think you serously need to see a little flick called "What's Eating Gilbert Grape". I think you'll find DiCaprio's performance a great distance away from something you'd get from someone who can't act.

That said, I can't really picture DiCaprio as Anakin, not after the confession scene. As someone said, he owns Anakin now.

2. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    I disagree I feel that Jason Mewes would of made a better Anakin :)

3. LeeKenobi

LeeKenobi Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 13, 2002
    Christenens performance was WEAK. He has no screen presence. He FAILED to make a decent potrayal of Anakin. The character of Anakin was made for a strong, heroic, leading man.

Not so!

Just watch the Tatooine scenes again....if that wasn't a powerful screen presence, I don't know what is.

4. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    I don't know, Hayden did have a couple good moments, but he had barely any chemistry with Natalie Portman. And those scenes with her make up a third of the film. To me, they're just two good-looking youngsters that look better suited in a Calvin-Klein commercial or sprawled on a large billboard selling perfume or Guess! Jeans. In terms of acting, Hayden doesn't seem like the defining actor he could've been. He, like Natalie, are just as interchangable asthe next chap.

Leonardo Dicaprio seems to have a little moe charisma, and his star power might have added more energy to the set and given scenes more "lift". Or maybe his star power would've clashed with the others, who knows?

5. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    I've seen Gangs of New York, and Leo gave a rather bland and forgettable performance, especially compared to Daniel Day-Lewis. He was alright in Catch Me If You Can, but again nothing out of the ordinary. I don't see how he could have done better than Hayden as Anakin.

6. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    The character of Anakin was made for a strong, heroic, leading man.

[face_laugh] So you made the character, right? You're the end-all on how he should be portrayed? Okay, George.

I sometimes feel sorry for you fanboys. In your need for the "cool, strong, dark" aspect of everything you fail to see the lovely irony that has been introduced into Star Wars with Anakin. His utter lack of control, his weak grip on his emotions, are what define him as Skywalker - as Darth Vader, he is completely the opposite. Cold, ruthless, and dominating. What is the cause of this drastic change? That's the story we're being told. Shut yer gabs, sit back and listen, for once.

I sometimes shudder to think of Star Wars in the hands of the arrogant fandom this has become.

Thank goodness Mr Lucas is in charge.

7. TripleB

TripleB Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2000
    I would not say that Hayden was a bad actor. I would just say that George Lucas was a bad director.

I guess it would not matter though if he wanted Mr DiCaprio in the movie now or not. I don't think it would have made the film better or worse, save maybe at the box office.

8. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Precisely. It's a matter of direction. Lucas would have directed DiCaprio in the exact same way he did Hayden - the people complaining now have a problem with the way the character's being handled.

9. Vaders_Clone

Vaders_Clone Jedi Master star 1

Dec 29, 2002
    I did watch "What's eating gilbert grape," and i thought he did a good job for the character he was betraying. But have you seen "the man in the iron mask?" I admit i was wrong in saying that LDC can't act. I just don't think he is that great. He wouldn't be big in hollywood if the fans didn't like him, But come on! Do you actually think he would have made a better Anakin? The thought that would have been running through my head would have been, "I'm the king of the world!!" or more like "I'm the king of the jedi!!!"

10. DANA28

DANA28 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 15, 2002
    Please let me kill this thread.

11. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Leonardo Di Caprio would blow man. Hayden Was really good at Anakin. Plu little leo is too much of a pretty boy!

12. Haydens_MineNotYours

Haydens_MineNotYours Jedi Youngling

Oct 20, 2002
    NO WAY!! Leo is way too famous. And plus on top of that way to old. The guy is almost 30!And an answer to your theory:The Beach. Think about The Beach. Okay? That's all i have to say, goodday.

Also Hayden is perfect as Anakin(not just because he's good looking, no) What more do you people want??????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.