main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Leonardo Di Caprio would've made a better Anakin

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by yodaschum, Sep 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    Eeww...please, it's bad enough that Steven Spielberg and Martin Scorsese have got him starring in their forthcoming films, than to have to inflict him on George Lucas, too :(. Hayden was absolutely perfect in the role, and was everything I expected Anakin to be (except Hayden made Anakin far more likeable). Leonardo would have just been....ewww. Besides, it probably wouldn't have happened in the first place, as Ewan doesn't like Leo terribly much, and it might have caused some rather nasty arguments on set. Hayden was fine. He was better than fine, he was great! Leo would have been....err....'Not good', to quote Obi-Wan. I'm going to have nightmares now :(.

2. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001

Leonardo DiCaprio - Overrated. Very Overrated.

Christian Bale - He's too old for Portman. Plus he's known for being a psycho from American Psycho.

Ryan Phillipe - Next you're going to want Reese Witherspoon to replace Portman.

Chad Allen - I have no idea who this chump is.

Christensen was a good choice for Anakin. He did his job well.

3. homeless_jedi

homeless_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    ok can i just say one thing? why would you even consider leo? because he was in titanic? is that it? come on..the guy is total bs and you all know it.

and he does not look like lil ani.

4. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    It's funny how so many people no here have such a knee-jerk reaction to bash DiCaprio. Why? What has he done wrong? We know he's not a bad actor. That's obvious whether you liked Titanic or not.

The ironic thing is that when it's all said and done, he will probably be one of the biggest actors of our generation. This year he is doing 'Catch Me if You Can' with Tom Hanks and Spielbergo and 'Gangs of New York' with Scorsese. He and Scorsese are doing another project together in 2004 and next year he is Filming an Alexander the Great Biopic that Oliver Stone is script writing for.

This guy is no joke. This is of course if you are actually a film fan and not just an SW fanatic.

Personally, I think DiCaprio could have done just as good a job as Christensen. Let's be real, Hayden didn't exactly blow people away. He was not bad, but he was not unmatched either.

5. The_Abstract

The_Abstract Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    yodaschum

Isn't it about time you take that Titanic poster off your wall?

Seriously, I don't see how someone can be considered a great actor is he does a film every 3 years. The last movie he was good in was Romeo & Juliet, which came out in '96 I think.

As far as Gangs of New York goes, that movie looks like Newsies without the music. I'm a supposed to take a gang seriously when they have knee-high striped knickers?

Besides, what is he, 5 ft tall? I recall people complaining about Hayden being too short for the role, and he goes about 6' 2". Talk about suspension of disbelief.

If anyone deserves the title of most overrated, the crown belongs to Mr. King of the World.

Get off his cojones, people.

6. homeless_jedi

homeless_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    the abstract is all knowing..i agree completely with his comments..

7. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    I saw leo carpeo in two movies he sucked in both of them. He is not a good acter. Tom Hanks is a better acter. Do you now why leo has not won an awawred becasue people in hollywood the ture people in hollywood no he is no a good acter. The only reason titanic did as good as it did. is because a lot of teenage girls went back to see it again for leo not the effects. The effects were not that good in titanic. T2 will always inmy mind be James best movie. Oh and have you seen HC in Life as a House or Highergorund. He can act. and he can show the hole ranger of emotons whcih very few people can do in hollywood.

8. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    One of the problems with the PT is Lucas has chosen wimpy actors/actresses like Christensen and Portman who just go along with everything George says.

Hayden Christensen landed the role of Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader in the Star Wars prequels, because he didn't laugh at George Lucas' bad jokes. The Canadian actor was invited to meet the Star Wars creator at his Skywalker Ranch home in northern California after an initial audition, and he went along even though he felt sure Leonardo DiCaprio or Ryan Phillippe had already landed the role. Christensen recalls, "Everyone was saying the part was going to Leonardo DiCaprio and that they were just doing tests to convince the public that they were actually looking at other people. But they told me that George liked me because I had talked to him on some kind of real level, that I didn't treat him like the Almighty George Lucas. When you get to the level of success George has gotten to, it's hard not to have people laugh at a joke when it's not funny. I wasn't doing that." link

Well, yodaschum, so much for that little temper tantrum.

9. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    It seems that most of the people that have psoted here also say the same thing No to Leo.

10. The_Abstract

Jul 16, 2002
    Actually, I wouldn't mind having good ol' Leo in Episode III.

He can be Hayden's stunt double.

You know...when he falls in the lava.

:D

11. AL

AL Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 22, 1998

Leonardo DiCaprio sucked serious ass in Romeo and Juliet, as did Clare Danes. In fact, that film was one of the most despicable versions of the bard's romantic masterpiece ever to be committed on celluloid.

12. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    Titanic did not do well becaue of Teengae girls. People around the globe loved the movie. It's the #1 movie of ALL TIME. teenage girls runnign back to the theater won't do it alone. Many people loved the story adn thought it was incredible. Can we please be a little realsitic. Most people loved DiCaprio and Blanchett in that flick.

And to diss Leo for acting infrequently makes Hayden look worse. The guy barely has a resume to speak of. Life As A House got great reviews and so did his performance but I did not see that level of intesnity in AOTC. And to say that he has a range of emotions most actors in hollywood don't?? I just don't see it.

Again, I am no Leo fanatic, but I have to give props where they are due. The guy can act. And he a much better platform to show it in Titanic as opposed to AOTC. When entire theaters are laughing at your "serious" scenes, how great was your performance? That's what happened when I saw AOTC opening week.

THE ABSTRACT said: "As far as Gangs of New York goes, that movie looks like Newsies without the music. I'm a supposed to take a gang seriously when they have knee-high striped knickers?

Okay, now you've lost all credibility. You're just a hater.

And Leo is about 5'9". Not that any of that matters when it comes to a movie.

And DURWOOD-- There's a difference between not being a complete suck-up in an audition and actually making directorial suggestions when you are on the clock and money is ticking away. Not that I blame Hayden though. He's a new actor. How much can he say to GL?

But if he and Portman looked at the dallies of those "romance" scenes and thought they were winners...I feel for them.

13. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    "Seriously, I don't see how someone can be considered a great actor is he does a film every 3 years."

You could use exactly the same argument for George Lucas or Stanley Kubrick, though. It was a great many years before either of them released a new film, but they are arguably considered great directors. I think the same thing can be said for actors, too. However, Leonardo is not one of them.

14. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    [face_laugh] Ha ha ha ha. See very few people in this therad like Leo. So lets just end it here ok.

Yes that was Titnacs scuess when I was in high school that's who kept going back to it was teenage girl's that all they talked about for 14 weeks. That and Leo. Now girls don't run to his movies. The same can be said for BSB and N'suck the teen girls are what put there song to number 1. Tinnc was markted to girls. just like BSB nad N'suck so look in to that. Most of the guy I had talked to did not like the movie. Oh and where you the only one laugh. Don't say things that a not ture. When you say very one was laugh at him. That is a false statment. Just like the ever one hated AOTC is a false statment. Think about you want to say then say. Don't just say well I laughed and so did very one who saw it. Becasue you don't know that for sure you are just guessing. But most people here all ready said they don't like Leo and they don't think he is a good acter. Man in the Iron mask was bad to.

15. AL

Aug 22, 1998

As far as Gangs of New York goes, that movie looks like Newsies without the music. I'm a supposed to take a gang seriously when they have knee-high striped knickers?

Not only have I worked on this flick but I have also seen about fifteen thousand feet of dailies from it and I can say that it is Scorsese's best flick since Goodfellas, and is on par with Raging Bull.

And Leonardo DiCaprio is great in it.

16. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    There's a difference between not being a complete suck-up in an audition and actually making directorial suggestions when you are on the clock and money is ticking away.

Actually, Christensen had a lot to say on how he thought the confession scene should be handled. What we get in the movie is in fact a compromise between what Lucas wanted (Anakin doesn't break down until the end) and what Christensen wanted (Anakin an emotional wreck from the word go). Instead we see him start out calm and rational and then his emotions slowly build up in intensity until he is red faced and screaming. It was a powerful scene that would have played out much differently had Christensen merely played the yes-man.

17. The_Abstract

Jul 16, 2002
    Come on now.

Gangs of New York is going to be this years Titanic. The movie with so much money and juice riding on it that people will have to vote for it. Miramax is going to bomb the hell out of ad space.

I dig everybody in the flick (with the exception of Leo), but seriously, Do you find men in striped stockings dangerous?

I'll reserve my judgement come December, but don't expect me to fawn over it now.

18. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    Yes that was Titnacs scuess when I was in high school that's who kept going back to it was teenage girl's that all they talked about for 14 weeks. That and Leo. Now girls don't run to his movies. The same can be said for BSB and N'suck the teen girls are what put there song to number 1. Tinnc was markted to girls. just like BSB nad N'suck so look in to that. Most of the guy I had talked to did not like the movie.

I used to think YOU were a teenage girl, actually. Isn't that ironic?

19. AL

Aug 22, 1998

If you are not excited about a new Scorsese film than there is no point in discussing anything film related with you, dear boy.

20. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    Yes but you see I'm notand even if I was I would still hate Leo and BSB and N'suck. So yes I'm a guy who likes a good story like AOTC not titnica which # 1 or not was not James best moive T2 was and to me always will be.

21. The_Abstract

Jul 16, 2002
    What's that AL?

Oh, I think I hear Marty calling for his morning cup of coffee. You better hurry!

:D

22. Darth_Imran

Darth_Imran Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    Umm yodaschum...I don't know if you are aware of this, but Harrison Ford was a carpenter when he got the role for Han Solo - where as Hayden was already an actor when he got the role of Anakin.

And has it ever occured to why GL uses actors/actresses that are not big time stars? Its becasue he doesn't need them. Star Wars sells itself, with the name - it doesn't need a big time actor's name attached to it, to sell the film at the box office.

And if we're going to complain about Hayden and Natalie, then why not complain about Mark, Harrison and Carrie? They too were newcomers to the acting world, and it would have been just as easy to say "oh, why didn't GL use a big time actor to play Luke - why didn't he use Robert De Niro to play Han or Luke - then the OT would have been saved". And so on.

Back in the days of the OT, all the actors were "wimpy, newcomers". None of them were very well known. So does that make the OT rubbish? No. Did the "wimpy" actors/actresses ruin the PT? No. And thats becasue the PT isn't lying in ruins.

And whats that, Di Caprio, a big time Star, to play Anakin? Umm...no. I just can't help but laugh at the thought of him holding a lightsaber. :p [face_laugh]

23. Jedi_Liebe

Jedi_Liebe Jedi Youngling

Sep 8, 2002
    Hayden Christensen is a perfect Anakin to. The only ones who don't agree seem to be jealous fan boys who think they should be Anakin. Sorry, Leo as Anakin...It just doesn't mesh. I do think Leo is a talented actor. See Basketball Diaries or Gilbert Grape and then tell me he's not. But he wasn't right for Anakin. BTW..Kate Blanchet was not in Titanic!

24. AL

Aug 22, 1998

What's that AL?

Oh, I think I hear Marty calling for his morning cup of coffee. You better hurry!

It will be quite difficult for me to get it for him as I am in London and he is in LA.

25. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    Know Know none of that. he can have his opinin it's just he is a little out numberd. because most don't like Leo any more. The last moive he was in was no good think god I will never see it. and I won't see his new or the one after that. Same with BSB and n'suck. They are just there for the teenage girls. nothing more. one day they will be gone and some one else will take there place. It's ture. I'm a 21 year male who can see what is going on in hollywood. over the past five years we got moives that blew because they had no good acting in it. hers just a few.

10 things a hate about you.
    bring it on.
    and so on I can name namy room all with dumb love storys and I will never go see any of them becasue they are dumb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.