main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Leonardo Di Caprio would've made a better Anakin

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by yodaschum, Sep 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Logansmiddleclaw

Logansmiddleclaw Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2000
    "How exactly did you calculate that he is 10 times better at acting than Hayden?"

It's just a figure of speech of course. There is no way to tell HOW MANY TIMES actor is better than another. Hayden is a good actor but it didn't show in AOTC. George simply cannot direct actors. Contrast that to his performance in Life As A House. Why is he able to be good one film and lousy in another. Hayden needs good directors who can help him bring out his talent. Unfortunately George is not the one.

2. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Yes you are right

3. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Mexchewie,
    Only if it goes into hyperspace RIGHT After

I'm King of the Galaxeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa *splat*
    Engage space debriese wiper blades...

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

4. THE_DOODE

THE_DOODE Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    Di Caprio is too old to begin the training

Plus Lucas certainly has seemed to lose some of his power in the writing department when it comes to sensual relationships

Hayden wasn't that bad, not many others could have been better i think it.

Plus hayden has an athletic back ground witch helps with the fight scenes....

Remember the big duel in Episode 3

Leo could have done a decent job but it's not a big deal unless your a big Leo fan.

5. Darth_Imran

Darth_Imran Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    Hayden is a good actor but it didn't show in AOTC

Actually, I believe quite the opposite of this. IMO, in AOTC, Hayden showed that he is a fantastic actor. He brought a lot of emotion to the role of Anakin, which showed Anakin's struggle in a much greater depth. For example, the confession scene, couldn't have been done better by any actor. Hayden's emotions go from sadness, to frustration, to anger and hate - then finally sorrow. The way he played out that scene, he made me believe that this was Anakin - a real person, and not an actor trying to be someone else.

An actor/actress can be classed as brilliant or excellent, when they make you believe that they are a particular character, which is exactly what Hayden did.

Try watching AOTC again, a couple of times :p

6. smauldookie

smauldookie Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    "Leonardo Di Caprio would've made a better Anakin"

HELL NO!

7. Tricky

Tricky Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    After I saw Leo D. in The Basketball Diaries, he's playing writer/junkie Jim Carrol and there was this sequence where Dicario is murdering his classmates with a shotgun while wearing a a black trenchcoard & big ass boots and looking an evil & stoned. I was like that's Darth freakin' Vader! But now I've seen Heydan as Anakin, so it's too late to go back. I am freaking out by Heyden's sorta gay punky role in A Home of our Own. That whole movie was weird. I wasn't thinking that he could be Vader.

8. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Darth Imran I agree with you!

9. Logansmiddleclaw

Jul 30, 2000
    We can all argue back & forth on who we think would have been better, but it's a moot point. Hayden is Anakin. I have no choice but to live with it. I Just hope he loosens up a bit for the final film and doesn't look so stiff.

10. QuiGonHrafn

QuiGonHrafn Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 25, 2002
    "I Just hope he loosens up a bit for the final film and doesn't look so stiff."

Lucas wanted him to be like that and I wouldn't call him stiff. If you don't like Anakin then blame Lucas instead of Hayden. He is portraying Anakin the way Lucas wants Anakin to be (it's not because Lucas can't direct actors, it is the fact that this is Lucas' vison of Anakin Skywalker). I loved him and agree with Darth Imran. Hayden is perfect and nobody could have been better. When I watch the originals now I can see the evil face behind the mask.

11. Draculas_guest

Draculas_guest Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 15, 2001
    The only reason people dont want to see Leo di Caprio in AOTC is because he was in a film that made more money than Star Wars. If Titanic had only been moderately succesful I doubt there would be so much anti-Leo talk. Hayden isn't particularly great in AOTC to be perfectly honest, though Leo is too recognisable for a Star Wars film. I think that big star names can sometimes cause a problem. I love Samuel L Jackson, but when I see him in TPM and AOTC, I just think of him as Samuel L Jackson in a dressing gown, not Mace Windu the Jedi.
    I quite like Jude Law, but I dont know if he would suit a Star Wars film. (Him and Ethan Hawke were great in Gattaca)
    I remember thinking that Ewan Macgregor was an odd choice for Obi-wan some years back (this was after I saw him in Trainspotting), but I think he was a good choice. I like Ewan Macgregor, he's got a rough edge to him that works really well. Am I the only one who thinks that Ewan hasn't been in the PT as much as he should have been?

12. yodaschum

yodaschum Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2002
    Yeah, Ewan is good because he has that "don't give a ****" attitude, similar to what Harrison Ford had in the OT. The new actors like Christensen, they act like they are treading on broken glass the whole time "because its Star Wars".

13. Darth_Imran

May 30, 2002
    The new actors like Christensen, they act like they are treading on broken glass the whole time "because its Star Wars".

Umm...actually, Hayden won the role of Anakin becasue he was okay with the idea of a big film and all that SW stuff. GL specifically said that he liked Hayden because he didn't give the crap that he was in SW film - nor did he care that he was meeting GL. He was completely natural, and obviously, he has great acting ability, thus allowing him to win the part for Anakin.

14. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Try to imagine "Leo" hunting down and detroying the Jedi knights, maybe even Windu. Leo beating Samuel L. Jackson? Come on.

15. Master_Nick_Kenobi

Master_Nick_Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Sep 20, 2002
    Di Caprio is too much of a "pretty boy". Anakin's role demands some intensity that Leo could've only delivered as sub-par. Hayden did a good job.

16. Bogden

Bogden Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 7, 2002
    That Ryan Phillipe guy was supposed to be the second choice. He is similar to Hayden just too old. He would have been the best second choice

17. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    No, Draculas guest. You're not the only one who thinks that Ewan hasn't been in the PT as much as he should have been.

Bogden, Ryan Phillipe is way too short to play Anakin. As you know, a certain amount of height is required to play Anakin.

18. Darth_Imran

May 30, 2002
    Try to imagine "Leo" hunting down and detroying the Jedi knights, maybe even Windu. Leo beating Samuel L. Jackson? Come on.

[face_laugh]

19. One-with-the-Force

One-with-the-Force Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    Luke and Leia DiCaprio 8-}

20. Logansmiddleclaw

Jul 30, 2000
    "Di Caprio is too much of a "pretty boy"

Hayden is a prettier boy than Leo.

"Try to imagine "Leo" hunting down and detroying the Jedi knights, maybe even Windu. Leo beating Samuel L. Jackson? Come on."

Yeah like that dream sequence in Basketball Diaries where he guns down his classmates.

21. BlueMules

BlueMules Jedi Youngling star 3

May 30, 2002
    "Di Caprio is too much of a "pretty boy"

Hayden is a prettier boy than Leo.

"Try to imagine "Leo" hunting down and detroying the Jedi knights, maybe even Windu. Leo beating Samuel L. Jackson? Come on."

Yeah like that dream sequence in Basketball Diaries where he guns down his classmates.

Hayden is prettier boy than Leo? I guess everyone is entitled for their opinion, but I don't think he is. If you look at his pictures ( rather than Anakin's) he isn't much of pretty boy at all. Kinda handsome geeky actually...( now, don't kill me for this comment ;)

As for hunting down his classmates...eh I meant the fellow Jedis, I think Leo will do a good job..so is Hayden.

I have only see him in one movie, the Man in Iron Mask and I don't think Leo is a good actor in that movie. I don't see much hyped around him anyway..but that is me, LOL.

22. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Luke and Leia DiCaprio

****chokes laughing***

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Touche'

23. MobartZmuda

MobartZmuda Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2002
    Yeah like that dream sequence in Basketball Diaries where he guns down his classmates

The thing is, Leo was using a gun, not a lightsaber. A gun simply requires you to point and shoot--no "athletic" ability is required. On the other hand, hunting down Jedi with a lightsaber ain't as easy as point and shoot (unless it's Coleman Trebor).

Leo looks about as athletic as Mr. Burns.

24. BlueMules

BlueMules Jedi Youngling star 3

May 30, 2002
    I read an article a couple months back, it said one of the main reason Leo wasn't cast is he demanded too many privilidges( sp?)

He also demanded NC 17 love scene with Portman.. Now, I know most of you guys would want that, but apparently Lucas disagreed....

25. JBFett-v_2

JBFett-v_2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2002
    well put, anakin-girl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.