main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Leonardo Di Caprio would've made a better Anakin

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by yodaschum, Sep 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    G_D_S: Sam Jackson was another major actor in a supporting role.

Nom: I also prayed every day that Leo wouldn't be chosen to play Anakin. And I actually liked Titanic--at first, until it became a movie that squealing teenybopper girls went to see 200 times just because Leo was in it--and still cried every time Leo drowned. (My apologies to all the well-behaved sensible teenage girls on this thread--I'm not talking about everyone your age, just a certain group.) I would have been horrified if AOTC had suffered the same fate. Even with the Best Picture Oscar, Titanic still gets made fun of as a bubble-gum movie.

2. Sith_Wizard

Sith_Wizard Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2002
    I want everyone to know that I haven't read the thread and am just replying to the title.

There is NO way Leonardo Di Caprio would have made a good Anakin!! End of discussion!!
    :confused: Whatever made anyone think that he would? :confused:

3. DANA28

DANA28 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 15, 2002
    This thread is back?

4. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Because they think he was good in Titanic.

Leo; I'm they king of the gal...

Cut off by Obi-wan pushing him off of a star ship.

Obi-wan; Hey HC come on your are the new Anakin.

5. One-with-the-Force

One-with-the-Force Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    Imagine the complaints Leo would have when Anakin gets his arm cut off...

6. arielthalandra

arielthalandra Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 10, 2002
    I like many on this thread was relieved that Leo, though a fine actor whose performances in What's Eating Gilbert Grape and Titanic were highly enjoyable, did not get the part of Anakin. He just doesn't have what it takes to be the man who would be Vader. He just isn't edgy or dangerous enough. (I also don't find him especially sexy, and for me, at least, it's crucial that Anakin be sexy.)All these years I have had a particular idea of how Anakin would look and behave, and a large part of what was so gratifying to me about AOTC was that George and Hayden nailed it! It was like they came to me personally and asked me what the character should be like. Hayden did a wonderful job considering some of the lines he had to deal with, and he succeeded admirably in portraying a complex young man seething with issues. He's got an edgy dark undercurrent like James Dean or the young Brando. And sexy??? I thought I was going to have a heart attack the first time I saw AOTC. Thank you Hayden, may you have a long distinguished career.

7. Ayla_Kenobi

Ayla_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2002
    Now that I have seen Hayden in the role of Anakin, no one else could have done a better job.

8. Monica_Skywalker

Monica_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    One-with-the-Force: lol, he would be complaining all right.... :) Every day of filming he would find something to complain about...

9. Logansmiddleclaw

Logansmiddleclaw Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2000
    "Thank you Hayden, may you have a long distinguished career."

Mark Hamill certainly did.

10. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    Hamill was great as Luke though...

11. Logansmiddleclaw

Jul 30, 2000
    "Hamill was great as Luke though... "

You get no argument from me. I agree. He was Luke.

12. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    I am sick and tired of people bashing on Hayden and Natalie. I thought they did great. And about "wimpy" actors.....

If you were making your first major film at the age of 19, would you have the nerve to disagree or argue with one of the most famous filmakers of all time, who created one of the most famous movies of all time? And who is one of the greates innovators in film history? If you do then that would be very arrogant of you.

13. One-with-the-Force

Jul 16, 2002
    One-with-the-Force: lol, he would be complaining all right.... Every day of filming he would find something to complain about... - Monica_Skywalker

He sure would...

14. DARTH-MUGATU

DARTH-MUGATU Jedi Youngling star 2

May 17, 2002
    One-with-the-Force: lol, he would be complaining all right.... Every day of filming he would find something to complain about... - Monica_Skywalker

He sure would...

True. But just to be fair I'm sure Leo would have done fine wirth the role of Anakin just the same.

Still, Hayden did a terrific job playing Anakin and it gives me really high hopes for Episode III. If anything this whole thread is an insult to him.

15. One-with-the-Force

Jul 16, 2002
    Leo is spoiled.

16. Logansmiddleclaw

Jul 30, 2000
    "Leo is spoiled."

In what way?

17. One-with-the-Force

Jul 16, 2002
    He's really Skeptiec about Star Wars and only wanted to be in it because of Portman...

18. Logansmiddleclaw

Jul 30, 2000
    "He's really Skeptiec about Star Wars and only wanted to be in it because of Portman..."

Hmmmm....I've never heard this about him before. I thought he was a fan of the series. When TPM came out, the media made a big deal about him going to Toys'R'Us buying TPM toys. He is a fan of the series.

Who wouldn't want to work with Portman?

19. darthlebowski72

darthlebowski72 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 5, 2001
    Leotardo DiCrapio would've ruined AOTC. I would've rather had Michael Jackson as Jar Jar than have him as Anakin. He is overrated, arrogant and ugly. He overacts like Shatner's worst nightmare :eek:

20. Falls_the_Shadow

Falls_the_Shadow Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2002
    One-with-the-Force,

Surely you know by now that Hayden deliberately bungled the First Kiss scene several times to clown around and have another reason to kiss Miss Portman. So, if Leo wanted to do the film because she would be the co-star, then he has distinguished company.

If you think the bashers are out now, imagine what it would have been with Leo. Then again, it would give another meaning to Luke's pained howl at the paternity revelation in Empire Strikes Back. "Leo is my father? No! It's not true! That's impossible! Noooooooo!" 8-}

I knew for certain Hayden was the Once and Future Vader in the few seconds where his gaze changes from the dead Shimi to stare in murderous rage out towards the Tuskens outside. A few facial expressions captured the fall into the Dark Path.

Sorry folks: Hayden is Anakin as Harrison is Solo. Period. End of Paragraph.

21. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    FTS you got that right.

22. AUNTIE_JEDI

AUNTIE_JEDI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    And sexy??? I thought I was going to have a heart attack the first time I saw AOTC. Thank you Hayden, may you have a long distinguished career.

Join the club...I could not believe my old eyes when he was in his first scene (Elevator). My God, can there still exists such a masculine beauty in this world? Leo simply does not ooze sex and that is something what Hayden definitely does! [face_love]

BTW I watched yesterday a TV interview of Maggie Gyllehaal and noticed that with brow contact lenses she is a Carrie Fisher lookalike! On this basis she would have been a good Padmé candidate . :)

23. Corde

Corde Jedi Youngling

Sep 26, 2002
    Leo was crap in Titanic and I am glad he wasn't chosen for AotC.

Hayden did an awesome job. However, I think the way he acts suffered because of the knife.

24. Lord-Dooku

Lord-Dooku Jedi Master star 1

Jan 14, 2002
    Well you guys I see it as this:
    Both Hayden CHristensen and Leonardo Dicaprio are good actors, but in the end Hayden was chosen. There is nothing we can do to change that now. Hayden is anakin. Anakin is hayden. Not leo. I myself am glad, I preffered Hayden playing anakin than Leo did. Ok, so perhaps he didn't give an outstanding performance, but who's saying Leo would have. You have to remember Hayden Christensen is this relative nobody who hardly anyone has heard of before, but then he gets thrust into playing one of the biggest parts in cinema history in a film thats guaranteed to be watched by millions. It's his first go, give him a chance, he did well under the daunting circumstances. Any actors who are reading this (of which I am one of) try acting out one of Anakin's scenes and see how hard it is. Ok, you might do it well, but you have to add the tension and nervousness that million's of people will be watching and judging your performance, and I do mean MILLIONS. I think he did a great job and should be proud of himself, just as I'm sure Leo would have done a good job too, but that's not for us to decide.

25. Logansmiddleclaw

Jul 30, 2000
    "Leotardo DiCrapio would've ruined AOTC."

George Lucas did a good job of that already. Very mature name calling by the way. Such hate is incredible for a so called Star Wars fan. Very un-jedi like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.