main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx LepreCon

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by aztrooper0013, May 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aztrooper0013

aztrooper0013 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 27, 2002
    Well, kiddies, this weekend is Leprecon, and while it's still going on today, the DSG boyz showed up yesterday (Saturday, May 18) after we recieved a call from the Convention staff practically begging us to show. We were very flattered to say the least, and five of us attended the event.

There is a new wind blowing through the Convention boards in AZ. New blood is nipping at the heals of this rapidly decaying system here.

Attendance is at an all time low for Sci-Fi Cons here in AZ, and the new blood wants to save it by expanding to current horizons, let alone new ones.

They want *OUR* help. Not just the 501st, but ALL of us. The PFF, The Rebel Legion, & the DSG.

CopperCon is going to have a Star Wars theme to it this year, and the people running the upcoming event talked with myself and our CO, Jason Foster about having the DSG taking an active part in the marketing, promotional, and execution of this Con. I immediately pointed out that we weren't the only SW fan club in AZ, and I mentioned all of you as well.

Details are all very sketchy at this point, but they will be contacting me about the upcoming plans, and I will in turn let this info come down to you all, or the Representatives of each group.

Together, I think WE can save the dying, stagnant beast that is Arizona SciFi Cons.

We (ALL of us) are a hot commodity right now, due to the release of Episode II, and I think it would be in our best interests as Fans to take advantage of our unique and quickly parishable position before the public interest in SW fades out again.

Help us save the SciFi Con in AZ!

2. Mirax H

Mirax H TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Aug 16, 1999
    When and where is Copper con? I might beable to convince a few people up here to take a road trip and of course, I would be happy to attend it costume!

3. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    I would be more than happy to attend in costume, as well as officially represent TFN and Fan Force.

Unfortunately for me, fundage is tight, but the spirit is willing. :D

4. Darth_Trigue

Darth_Trigue Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2002
    Ooohhh...I've never been to a con before...lack of funds and info.

Give me the info and I'll see what I can do about funds. :) It's something I've wanted to do for *ages*!

5. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    Leper Con?!?!

NO comment...

6. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    *DEFINITELY* keep us updated on CopperCon. Indeed, schedules permitting, I'm sure most of us would be more than happy to attend. :) Of course, now I have even more incentive to finish my Padmé Ep 2 costume (blue Tatooine dress) and do my Jedi robes. :D

^.^

7. DarthFeldman

DarthFeldman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    I would attend.. and maybe even give you guys a Jawa to kick around again!

8. liquido

liquido Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    I, for one, am always glad to see the DSG make a showing at local conventions. I am happy to hear that this time your presence was actually solicited. The people on top must be listening to our presence.

For those of you wondering, both this weekend's LepreCon 28 and September 2002's CopperCon XXII were and will be held at the Embasy Suites North. It is located on the southeast corner of Greenway Road and Black Canyon Freeway (I-17) in north central Phoenix.

For more information visit CopperCon orLepreCon.

Besides the DSG showing up Saturday night, other SW related items at Lep28 included a SW vs ST panel with Author Guest of Honour Peter David and art by Artist Guest of Honour Monte Moore (who's last convention was SW Celebration II).

CopperCon XXII will have Barbara Hambley as our Author Guest of Honour.

Just as an FYI, I am a member of the Program Team for both LepreCon 28 and CopperCon XXII. While I cannot speak for the boards of LepreCon, Inc or the Central Arizona Speculative Fiction Society, nor can I speak for the individual conventions, I am willing to be your voice in Programming.

For those not familiar with the behind-the-scenes of conventions, Programming includes panels, demonstrations, and presentations. Anything else you see at the convention falls under the heading of another committee.

If there are any questions about local conventions, feel free to post here on the boards or E-mail me. I'd be more than glad to help.

9. aero-

aero- Jedi Youngling star 2

May 4, 2002
    is it me, or does it just sound like you're making all these up???

LOL...in that case, you all are invited to JesusCon, Ex-Con, Sili-Con, and I-Think-I-Con...

don't forget Con-Con, either.

10. liquido

May 16, 2002
    I wouldn't laugh too much. Those are probably real convention names somewhere. I think I've heard of a KonCon before, but I don't remember which state. There's even a Convention Web ring out there, if you want to go searching for convention names.

11. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    lol @ sili-con

12. QuiGon_butnot4gotten

QuiGon_butnot4gotten Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
  13. Mirax H

Aug 16, 1999
    Oops, double post.

14. Mirax H

Aug 16, 1999
    Hmm, not till September, that might be a possibility for a road trip.

15. MexChewie

MexChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    I'd be happy to attend and help if I can.

My interpretation of the LepreCan event this past weeken was that it was advertised as a anime type convention with SW themes included becuase of the release of AOTC. If that's the case then advertisement and targeting should be done to all Sci-Fi fans from SW, ST, LOTR, Comic Books, et. al. Maybe you do that for CopperCon but its something that should be done all the time. Being that limiting lowers participation and makes people feel unwelcomed. Word then gets out that the Convention is not for you. I now I have been wishing for a mini-celebration 2 type convention here. Just my thoughts.

16. DarthFeldman

DarthFeldman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    Lets not all forget (if you even knew in the first place) about the previous SW conventions we have had here in AZ.. SW mini con many years ago at the Sahara in scottsdale.. tons o' fun!!

And the totally awesome AZSW con we had just a year or so after that! 3 days of nonstop fun..with many SW celebs and everything.. Hey! what happened to having those yearly like they had mentioned doing?
    Anyone know??

17. harpm1

harpm1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2002
    Interesting. Other than the usual Star Trek conventions (I did actually attend one way back in like Jan of 94) I wasn't aware of any other conventions coming here. The leprecon thing might be failing because people think it's for those Warwick Davis flicks but who knows. Sounds cool though.

18. Dvader20

Dvader20 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2002
    Yea, there have been yearly cons here for awhile.

LepreCon
    CopperCon
    EdgeCon (just started last year)

We are currently in the planning stages for EdgeCon but it hopes to be bigger then last year.

19. liquido

May 16, 2002
    There are quite a few local conventions. Another convention which I haven't seen mentioned yet is Hexacon, the local gaming convention. In the past we could always depend on Decipher to be there every year with SW demos & tournaments.

As it is a full gaming convention with boardgames, RPGs, CCGs, miniature battle games, LARPs, computer games, and even PBM demonstrations, you could usually find a SW:RPG game or two as well.

Why not tell us a little about the upcoming EdgeCon, Dvader20?

Also, I couldn't go to this year's first GilaCon. Did anyone here go? I'm curious how it went.

20. Dvader20

Dvader20 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2002
    Well last year EdgeCon had Teresa Nielsen (big MTG artist, who just happens to be living with Michael Stackpole), a host of CCG events, a LAN and some steve Jackson games. It was the first year it was held and advertising was at a minimal for it. This year it promises to have a wider vareity of games as we explore the minitures world as well as some RPG stuff as well.

for more detailed info, email the coordinator Ray Powers at rayp@primenet.com

21. aztrooper0013

Jan 27, 2002
    Well, I am very happy to see members of the Con curcuit here. I guess I'll bring everyone up to speed on my own Convention background.

I have been going to the local Cons since PhoenixCon 1 back in 85. It was my first Con, and I had a severe blast at it.

In the past, I became fairly infamous at Cons. Just the kind of infamy where everyone running the thing knows your name, and lets you carry a realistic looking firearm when no one else is allowed to. I was/am known at the local Cons as "Snyper", due to the rifle I used to carry those many days ago.

I have worked security at many Cons in the past, but I no longer do it, since it just took up too much of my time, and very little was done to compensate me for that time.

Slowly, the Cons here became a bit monotomous, and I stopped going, until CopperCon last year. It was the DSG's first local Con (Okay, we showed up at HexaCon, but immediately left once we realized that we really had no interest in gaming.) and we slayed them in the Masquerade, taking "Best of Show".

Despite that victory, I honestly felt the Con was lacking in many, many areas. The was hardly anyone there, and the dealer's room was laughable at best.

I'm hoping that we can help change all that by letting people and businesses know about the Conventions. I'll be talking to some local shops I have good relations with, trying to convince them to get a table at these events.

One "problem" is that CopperCon is a literature Convention, and the focus is mainly on books. Movie, TV, and other forms of the Sci-Fi genre are practically frowned on by the purists, but that has never stopped me from going. I think that in order for the Cons to survive in AZ, they seriously need to change and move with the times. They also need to get some higher profile guests that most people recognize.

I'm not ripping on the Cons. I'm just being honest and objective, as a previous and current customer of the events. I mean nothing but to help it survive.

The DSG is thinking about getting a "Fan" table at CopperCon, and the Rebel Legion is welcome to share our table, due to a long standing allience between both International costuming groups.

Perhaps the PFF can get a table as well?

Last I heard a table was only $75 for the weekend.

If anyone is interested in talking to me more about this, feel free to email me:
    kevingoconnor@aol.com

22. sideshow212

sideshow212 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    actually, i am trying to get the PFF more into this too! i happen to know a few insiders on the con circuit, and i think it would be a great idea to promote PFF! i would love to talk to you (and the PFF Officers) more about this...are you coming to the PFF meeting on june 8th?

23. aztrooper0013

Jan 27, 2002
    Yeah...I think I'll be making it, sans armor though. Just in civies this time.

Assuming you're talking to me, of course.

24. sideshow212

sideshow212 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    yes you! and thats cool, it makes it easier to hold a conversation with you when you're not in armour! :D

25. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    they should combine leper con and jesus con and just heal all the lepers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.