main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Les Misérables movie

Discussion in 'Community' started by Miana Kenobi, Sep 20, 2012.

1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    There are not a lot of long movies, even Gone with the Wind is rarely played as a whole. Titanic is 3hrs 20 but I sleep for three quarters of it anyway, I think Return of the King is the longest movie I've sat through entirely without getting up and that was hard.

If it's good enough people will stay, but I would never go and see a 3hour+ theatre show if it had no interval and I think many would be wary of dong the same in the cinema.

2. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    Well at least in the cinema you can get up and go to the bathroom. doing that during a live show you get stared at..trust me.

But people were even complaining that TDKR is too long, and its shorter than 3 hours. People just have bad attention spans

3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I was worried they would cut out some filler songs like "Turning".

4. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I wouldn't think it'd be over three hours. Maybe two and a half not counting credits.

5. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Some new TV spots!

Still no Javert singing. :p

6. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    They don't wish us to be spoiled by revealing Crowe's epic vocals.
    I can imagine it now, sort of a soft meld between Michael Crawford and Anthony Warlow

Wait, did I say that right?
    Sorry, I meant Gerard Butler & Pierce Brosnan :p

7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I'm sure it's not at all because he's terrible. No way.

8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I know it's totally in the song, but starting that one spot off with a child's voice intoning "La la la la" was not the best choice that could have been made.

EDIT: That other one though. I swear, if that doesn't give you chills, I just don't know about you. I get chills every dang time I see it.

9. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I've already been forced to sign a notarized affidavit that I will see this movie with my wife.

10. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  11. Terr_Mys

Terr_Mys Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Wow, that's a lot of new footage/music. And Russell Crowe didn't make my ears bleed!

12. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Crowe was OK, I guess. Perhaps not quite as powerful as the rest of the cast, but it may only be a sound editing or mixing issue. At any rate, we'll soon know what's what when we see it in the theatre. And when I think about it, I have to say that his rougher timbre may suit his role in the play, that of a hard-edged, by-the-book, law-abiding police officer with no human warmth whatsoever.

Cheers,
    Lauré :)

13. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    This looks like the step up from The Damned United that The King's Speech wasn't.

Very interesting. Although Hooper could yet be heading into Hugh Hudson-ville. I think the interesting thing about this is that if it fails, it'll fail hard. If it succeeds, it'll be huge and Hooper will be a true force in the industry.

14. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    If he's going into Hugh Hudson-ville I look forward to his career destroying Revolutionary War epic.

15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Really? He did mine. Man his voice is so wrong. And unlike the others who sound like they are speak-singing easily, it just kind of sounds like Crowe is straining to keep it in key there. Ugh.

Otherwise it looks awesome.

16. Terr_Mys

Terr_Mys Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    His voice isn't perfect, but it could've been a lot worse. I was prepared for Pierce Brosnan in Mamma Mia levels of terrible, and it's definitely not that bad.

And it's easy to develop an idea of which voices are "right" for a character based on people who have performed them in the past, but does it really matter that much? Personally, I enjoy hearing people with different timbres and vocal ranges take on a part that I've heard hundreds of times before.

But to each his own I guess. Personally, I don't think Lea Salonga's voice is "right" for Eponine compared to some of the other singers who have performed her part, but I know a lot of people would crucify me for that statement.

17. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I thought Russel Crowe actually sounded pretty good.

18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    No one has to sound just like anyone else who's played the role. I don't expect Jackman to have Colm Wilkinson's diction or anything. But from a casting perspective I think Javert works better with a booming, intimidating voice. That's the figure Crowe cuts but his voice doesn't live up to that.

19. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    ONE DAY MORE! *FLAILS*

I'm still not sold on Crowe. His big test is going to be "Stars."

20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Well, I think my favorite line in the whole musical is that "this never ending road to Calvary" line, so I can't believe I got to hear that already. And Crowe is fine. Told you.

21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I don't see how this is a 'told you'. He sounded mediocre at best. Stars is my favorite song and I'm sure it's gonna suck. *sigh* I'll just have to focus on the rest of the film, but it sucks to know already that part of it will most likely not be good when it could have been if they had cast someone who was a singer.

22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I guess it's all in the perception. I thought he sounded fine. I'm still more worried about Jackman's ability to actually project the necessary emotion. I mean, his delivery of the Calvary line isn't all it ought to be. Oh, well.

23. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It certianly looks very epic and like a great deal of effort has gone into the whole thing.

I've not heard enough of Crowe to judge him properly, the real test is how he handles a big numbers like Stars and more demanding vocals.

24. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
  25. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I was just about to post that link. :p