main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Less is More

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by sluggo1313., Oct 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I said there were fundamental flaws in your argument about why nothing should have been redesigned in the PT, not about the number of Jedi heroes. But now that you mention it... If the ST is in any way about rebuilding the Republic and the Jedi Order (after the Jedi, you know, return and stuff) then yes, there do need to be at least a few more than there were in the OT.

2. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

And how much/how often did we see the original Star Destroyers in ESB?

3. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

I know, thats what I was referencing as well. And your language just shows you don't really get the argument. To use Chiznuk's example, NOTHING wrong with designing the new Super Star Destroyer for ESB, but they didn't stop using the old one's, they still factored into the story in a large way which is why they still exist as a symbol of the series and the Empire in Pop Culture.

As for the Jedi and their numbers, depends on how they have Luke handle it. Does he teach adults or does he find children? Does he does multi. students or one at a time? Its very possible that there will only be 1-2-3 Jedi running around in the ST, all depends on how they have him handle it. But as I said, the number of Jedi in the galaxy isn't really the issue. Its more not having almost every hero character be a Jedi and keeping/maintaining that as something unique, special, and not having all the characters be similar to one another.

4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    We saw them a lot because the story demanded it. Han and Leia were on the run with the Empire hunting them down so it was natural that there would be Star Destroyers involved in the chase. Whereas in AOTC the Trade Federation are on the fringes and building their armies in secret away from the eyes of the Republic. The story is about Obi-Wan discovering their hidden army not being chased by it. So the Federation ships show up when the story calls for them to and not a second before.

Mystery_Roach likes this.
  5. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I just don't know how many times I can explain that there is a reason why they continue to use the same ships throughout the OT while SOME of the ones in the PT are discarded (or even in fairness to your points sometimes minimized) as the story progresses. You seem intent on ignoring or diminishing the significance of the immensely important point that I keep having to make over and over, which is that the entire OT is set during a long-running Civil War where the Empire is in control of the Galaxy, while the PT is a fundamentally different story about how the Galaxy changes from the Republic into that Empire, and that it is absolutely necessary to show that transition by abandoning certain designs as they evolve closer to the ones we see in the OT. It's literally part and parcel of the ENTIRE POINT OF THE PT.

The entire crux of the argument you seem to be making is that if all the ships used in TPM had been featured more prominently in the rest of the PT, then it somehow would have elevated that trilogy to the iconic status of the OT in pop culture. Can you really not see how fundamentally flawed that reasoning is in every conceivable way?

6. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

No, the story demanded that Han and Leia be chased. It could have a Super Star Destroyer chasing them, it could have been any Imperial ship chasing them. But int he OT they went back to the ship they used in ANH which helped in the visual storytelling. In the PT, they went to the drawing board.

As I've said before, its because you aren't seperating in-universe and story telling reasons. There is simply no reason why the elements of the TIE fighter int he ships in RotS couldn't also have been there in TPM. None. It was a story telling choice, but one that didn't/couldn't create the kind of iconicography that the OT did, which hurts the storty telling overall.

Also the kind of change you are talking about, doesn't happen. We don't see the Empire in RotS. It all happens off screen. If that was the goal, shouldn't they be flying TIE's in RotS? Shouldn't the Republic be using Star Destroyers? Why would the Clones by flying ships like like X-Wings?

7. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Anyone else thinking this thread needs to be put out of its misery now?

8. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    No it's you who aren't separating in-universe and storytelling reasons. I've consistently mentioned both the internal logic of it as well as the thematic structure which it represents and aaarrrgghhh I can't do this anymore.

I give up. You win. You're absolutely right about everything you say, and I am but a lowly servant bowing down to your supreme wisdom.

Please!

9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, let's lock this up at this point. I said before it needed to find a topic and stick with it. Whatever original topic it had has apparently shifted, and even the new one just has people going around in circles now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.