main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Less special effects

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Th3_Ch00s3n_0n3, Apr 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Th3_Ch00s3n_0n3

Th3_Ch00s3n_0n3 Jedi Youngling

Apr 1, 2003
    I really hope that ep 3 has less special effects then ep 2 that really too kaway from the realism of the whole original trilogy...It was weak

2. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    I don't know about less visual effects, but the style should come closer to Episode IV while still appearing to follow from Episode II. Episode II I think started the visual transformation, so Episode III should have a fairly easy job of it. We have a bearded Kenobi, Anakin with a lightsaber almost identical to Luke's, the Lars homestead, the clonetroopers, the Jedi starfighters. But the prequels have a chance to show us an entirely different part of the galaxy, and I wouldn't pass that up. As long as by the end I can believe it's the same universe we saw 26 years ago.

3. hew

hew Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 1999
    Realism of the original trilogy?

4. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    I think he meant it in the sense that the technology was primitive in the late 70's/early 80's compared to what's available today, and wants Episode III to reflect the filming of 20 years ago.

I really like the technology and special effects used in TPM and AotC. Actually, I love it. It may take away some of the nostalgia from the OT, but unlike the first three films, these modern special effects provide superb eye candy to accompany a great story.

5. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
  6. ISD_Devastator

ISD_Devastator Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2002
    "I really like the technology and special effects"
    Acclamators.... :D
    You all know, what I want to see in III...

ILM could, of course, use more (plastic)models instead of CGI-models when doing starships, like in the OT. CGI-enhanced plastic starship models? Would look good.

7. Bjork

Bjork Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 21, 2002
    It's really not a issue of less or more special effects; but how you use them. Like Obi-Ewan said, as long as the two trilogies come together in the end ? with ample amounts of special effects or not ? I'll be happy. :D

8. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    To put it simply, without the amount of special effects GL uses, the PT would not be within ten leagues of the scope it is now.

Without CG we wouldn't have Coruscant, Kamino, Yoda fighting, or the Clone War.

And not everything is CG. TPM and AOTC used more miniature models than any other films ever made. Many buildings on Coruscant, the Arena, the Kamino buildings, and so on were all models.

I'm all for them using lots of CG. I love TPM and AOTC. They are the best visual films films I have ever seen, and the action is spectacular.

:D

9. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I want the absolute best, cutting-edge effects possible in Episode 3. Anything else just wouldn't be up to the Star Wars standard.

10. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    I agree with DamonD. I don't care how many special effects are in Ep3, it's SW so there will be a lot, but I want the fx in the movie to be the absolute best ever.

I want to be "shocked and awed" by Ep3's special fx, as well as it's story.

11. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    I really hope that ep 3 has less special effects then ep 2 that really too kaway from the realism of the whole original trilogy...It was weak

Ah, so models in place of CG makes it more realistic... gotcha.

12. THE_MISSING_TRIPLET

THE_MISSING_TRIPLET Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    . SW has always been about the most up to date special effects, its just what it's been. but i am hoping for a balance between effects and plot.

13. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    Er, linking to the spoiler board in the non-spoiler board is usually looked upon as a no-no.

14. THE_MISSING_TRIPLET

THE_MISSING_TRIPLET Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    oo, sorry about that. i just assumed that it really wasn't a spoiler type of discussion just meerely specualtion.

15. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    It's ok. At this point in time there aren't any spoilers (or at least I think so) but it's against this forum's rules so people don't get inadvertantly spoiled. You should edit the link out of your post though. :)

Edit: Thanks. :)

16. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    It appears as though R2-D2 himself, Kenny Baker, agrees with some of you:

"Of the two trilogies, the originals of the 70s and 80s and the prequels of the 90s and 00s, Baker prefers the early three. Like many, he's found the computer-generated nature of the prequels less than lifelike. "There have been a lot complaints about [all the CGI in the prequels]. And I think George, with the last one, will put it back as close as it can get to Episode IV, where there were more actors and [it was] a bit more realistic. I hope, anyway."

I hope so too Kenny....

:cool: Mace Windy,
    this signature blows!

17. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    I think part of the fun of Star Wars is the eye candy. Sure the story and characters are great and all, but I really love the CG effects and how amazing and far it has progressed. I look forward to seeing the next advancements ILM is destined to pump into the third installment. Maybe I don't like the story as much as I did with the latter episodes... I'm a big fan of good versus evil... but I'm also a fan of depth, and to me, the prequels have had an overall deeper story. Coupled with the awesome effects, I'm more than satisfied. If Lucas can use models more in Episode III and less CG and make it work, fine. If he uses all CG and it works (like it did in the previous episodes), then fine. Whatever it takes to make awesome, jaw-dropping sequences, I care not.

If Episode III can mesh the deeper, mysterious plot of the PT and the good versus evil style plot of the OT, I will be able to safely say that Lucas wins. Nothing pleases me more than seeing a deep story come together at the end resulting in an all-out battle between the good and the bad. Episode III is looking to do just that. People say that the PT is just trying to be complex and it is suffering from it; I say that it's all the same story, and the beginning episodes should be the part in which everything isn't quite yet known, and ultimately, a bit more deep and mysterious than in the end, when everything is revealed; when the good guys are set in stone, and the bad guys are set in stone. What a run on sentence that was. Anyway, the OT is the finale of this story; the display of the battle between good and evil. The PT is setting this up. Episode III is the contact point. Maybe computer graphics will be meshed with models, just like the complexity of the PT plot meshes with the straight-out good guy and bad guy plot of the OT. It should have a bit of both styles of plot, and maybe effects.

And hopefully, in the end, everyone is happy.

18. LordIsurus

LordIsurus Jedi Master star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    I think the effects, especially in Epi 2, were fantastic. I have a feeling, though, even though there probably will be more effects in Epi 3, they may be less noticeable. And I mean in the sense that in Epi 1, even though well done, you KNOW Gungans are special effects. But when the Gungans faught the droids in Epi 1, it looked more effects intensive than the fight on Geonosis. The droids, again, were effects but even though the troopers were too, they certainly looked more real. So the effects were still there, but were done much better. But, like everything else, there is a curve or arc, as Lucas says, he's following. So if we apply that principal to the prequals, and we know that RotJ had an incredible amount of effects, ESB had less and ANH had even less and also that TPM's effects stand out more than AotC's, then Epi 3 should seem to have even less effects. And I say 'seem' because, even with AotC, there are so many bluescreen shots requiring all sorts of effects, it's hard to know when they're being employed.

Isurus

19. Master-Kenobi

Master-Kenobi Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2002
    I hope theres less if it is going to be as bad as they were in Aotc...I really hated all the special effects in Aotc...some special effects would be ok but knowing GL.... ;)

20. akamu2

akamu2 Jedi Master star 1

Jan 11, 2003
    I agree with Pooja; whatever helps get the story across. I consider myself a laid-back kinda guy, and if something CG'ed doesn't look absolutely 100% (Anakin on the big Naboo flea creatures, Anakin lunging to save Obi-Wan from Dooku's blade)perfect, I may just chuckle and keep on watching, enjoying the overall story. I was 6 when Star Wars came out, so I feel lucky to have grown up with the whole OT and now the PT. I'm not one to feel that the whole freakin' PT is ruined for me if some things look too crisp and clear or what have you. Yes, sometimes I think George should finally ditch the three-ring binder and buy a computer to type up all his movies on, and in return, throw in a few more guys in rubber suits, but for me it's the story that matters most. I can even look past some of the dialogue and just try to enjoy the moods and themes rather than each little word. I'm sorry I'm babbling, but I think Kevin Smith said in a review of AOTC, and in response to the critical backlash, "Has the product changed, or have YOU changed?" To me, feeling the Force means being able to tap into what the energy of being 6 or 7 years old again feels like and being able to set aside what may not be perfect, not focusing on movie-making or movie-going anxieties and instead focusing on the here and now of the story.
    I remember one review of TPM and the critic complained that "nothing happened", it was slow, ponderous, etc. Come AOTC, some other critic (or maybe the same one) complained that it was too much, "too much happening", too fast paced, etc. Sheesh!!! You can't win with these people!
    Anyways, sorry I went off on some tangent! I think the bottom line is that we should never forget the fun.

By the way, I LOVED when I found out that a great number of the podracing spectators were just painted Q-tips!

21. Malaki

Malaki Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 16, 2003
    All the technology in the world, and they go with Q-tips. I always loved that. :D

22. Punisher

Punisher Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 1998
    Aw... Kenny's just mad that he's probably going to be CG'ed and radio controlled out of Ep.3. :mad:

G.L.'s gonna pull out all the stops for Ep.3 'cause it's the last one, EVERYTHING will be digitally enhanced, even the audience! 8-}

Sorry, but while I feel that f/x shouldn't be lasting legacy of the PT, for some people, that's all it's got, I don't expect it to change this late in the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.