main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Less than 12 Parsecs....

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by GreenGreatWarrior, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreenGreatWarrior

GreenGreatWarrior Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2003
    Some people are confused about the line 'It's the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs'. Well I found there was an 'Ask the Jedi Council' answer for it here

Click

It says....
    While Captain Solo is known to make boastful claims that seem to defy the basic laws of space-time physics, in this particular case, an understanding of the mechanics of the Kessel Run illuminates this statistic.

The Kessel Run is a contest of speed and endurance for smugglers. Those who undertake it must deliver specified cargos (usually illicit in nature) to a series of divergently moving transport vessels. The smuggler must deliver the cargo before the transports wander out of the free trade lanes into restricted Imperial space.

Solo's record is impressive, since the transport vessels covered less than 12 parsecs of distance during his hurried run between them, a testament to his piloting and the speed of the Millennium Falcon.

There is more than one way to smuggle spice out of Kessel. According to one tale, Solo left out the middleman and ferried the stolen goods himself, skirting dangerously close to the Maw Cluster, a baffling congregation of black holes. In doing so, he shortened the distance for the run, achieving an impressive record of under 12 parsecs.

Using either methodology allows Solo's claim to stand, but there are many, including the Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi, who felt that the Corellian captain was just blowing hot air.

2. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    I want to know why Han uses it as speed and in AOTC its used as a distance.

3. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Han does not use it as speed. The Kessel Run goes around the black hole clusters near Kessel. The closer a pilot flies to the black holes, the faster he can fly around them, and the less distance he will have to travel.

4. GrandAdmiral_Frank

Aug 26, 2003
    But still twelve parsecs is supposed to be the distance from Coruscant to Kamino, did he fly the distance just to escape?

5. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    12 parsecs is not the distance from Coruscant to Kamino. It is the distance from the Rishi Maze to Kamino.

If you want the details on Han's Kessel Run, read Rebel Dawn.

6. GrandAdmiral_Frank

Aug 26, 2003
    Oh...thank you, I was the confused one then. The Force is strong in you Bib Fortuna Twi'Lek

7. GreenGreatWarrior

GreenGreatWarrior Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2003
    There is also some info on it in 'Jedi Search' by Kevin J Anderson.

8. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    Basically, what it means is that Han cut dangerously close to the black hole clusters of the Maw, and shaved his distance travelled down to under 12 parsecs. Only the Falcon's speed enabled him to do so.

9. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    It's definitely a testament to how fast he was flying and the amount of distance he covered.

10. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    ...as well as the "after-the-fact" explanations that are necessary for the SW films. ;)

11. KiAdiMonday

KiAdiMonday Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2003
    I love the way the EU has come up with such a convoluted load of hokum to explain that line, when the simple explanation of Han was just trying to hoodwink what he thought were ignorant locals is so much better.

12. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    The simple explanation of Lucas was just trying to hoodwink what he thought were ignorant viewers is so much better...

13. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    I love the way the EU has come up with such a convoluted load of hokum to explain that line, when the simple explanation of Han was just trying to hoodwink what he thought were ignorant locals is so much better

Sure it is...

14. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Actually, it is...

Han: "It's the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs!"

Ben reacts to Solo's stupid attempt to impress them with obvious misinformation
    - The Annotated Screenplays

The novelization does it right...
    "Fast ship? You mean you've never heard of the Millennium Falcon?"

Kenobi appeared amused. "Should I?"

"It's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than twelve standard timeparts!" Solo told him indignantly. "I've outrun Imperial starships and Corellian cruisers. I think she's fast enough for you, old man." His outrage subsided rapidly. "What's your cargo?"

15. SkyWookiee

SkyWookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2003
    When I first saw that Kessel line, I thought it meant Han made some creature named Kessel run away from him...

16. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    [face_laugh]

Hi, Skywookie. :) Sorry your banner didn't win the contest. :(

17. Salacious_B_Crumb

Salacious_B_Crumb Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 12, 2002
    SkyWookie still might of won, remember that DLM said that there were three winners that would show for a month each.

18. DerthNader

DerthNader Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 25, 2001
    I love the way the EU has come up with such a convoluted load of hokum to explain that line, when the simple explanation of Han was just trying to hoodwink what he thought were ignorant locals is so much better

Sure it is...

Actually, yes, it is. It's a nice demonstration of Han's ability to be a charming blowhard. :D

And it's certainly more interesting than a convoluted, pseudo-scientific explanation of basically bouncing off of black holes. (Especially since the entire series is composed of a large dose of non-science, trying to assign some sort of serious explanation to something so simple is inane).

19. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    I think both explainations are valid, it just depends on which one you'd like to believe is true. Stuff in the EU doesn't get published with out GL's premission though.

20. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    What difference does it make? AOTC essentially confirmed the entire EU stance on what a parsec is.

21. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Actually, nothing was changed or clarified in AOTC. Parsecs have been and always will be a measure of distance.

22. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    The EU explanation isn't ludicrously complex. It's as simple as the one given by Ask the JC. Please let's not let this thread devolve into an EU-bashing thread :)

EDIT: Thanks, MeBeJedi [face_blush]

23. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "It's as simple as the one in the movies."

Actually, it's been giving in lieu of a non-existant explanation from the films.

24. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Personally, I think Obi-Wan's expression says it all. He has this look of "What are you trying to pull here?" The idea that Han was just talking BS makes more sense, I think. Personally, I find the EU's explanation to unnecessarily convoluted. Han means this statement to be a simple measure of how fast his ship is, by giving its speed in a slightly roundabout fashion, like saying "I can run the mile in 4 minutes". The EU idea, however, means that Han is taking an awfully complicated way of saying it. If I wanted to tell you how fast I was, would it provide more information to you if I said "I can run the mile in 4 minutes", or if I said "I can run through that forest with the bears, and only have to go two miles"? The second doesn't really say anything, the first can actually tell you how fast I run. Han, in order to impress these local yokels, would not assume that they would know that 12 parsecs is a good score on the Kessel Run, or what that implies about his ship; rather, it makes more sense if he simply gives them some numbers that sound nice.

25. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "like saying "I can run the mile in 4 minutes"."

Actually, he's saying something more long the lines of "I can run the mile in less than a mile". ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.