main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Lessons in Discovery (Luke and Jacen)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Revanfan1, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    It seems a staple of entertainment for someone in a life threatening situation to yell/cry out that they are going to die.

Kinda sweet that Tenel Ka fell asleep in Jacen's room.

Sent from my PADD using Tapatalk

"The Starman and Moon Goddess." Han Solo - Dark Angel

Gemma likes this.
  2. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    He told her he was going to Coruscant. But she could probably sense he was elsewhere in the Force, and was wondering.

3. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Sorry I haven't updated recently, everyone, but I'm back! Lady_Misty

Chapter 9

It had been a long time since Jacen had been this wet. Stripping off his jacket, he began wringing the water out of it as he stepped onto the shore. Luke followed, grinning from ear to ear. Jacen knew his uncle had grown up on a desert world and cherished the water whenever he got a chance. Jacen grinned back at his uncle and pulled his jacket back on.

"Where to?" Jacen asked.

"I got directions from one of the secretaries this morning," Luke said. "We're headed due south until we find a hilly region. There should be a cave of some type, apparently, but no one's been able to find it for decades."

"So why are we looking?"

"Because we have the Force, and whatever is inside was important enough for General Kenobi to want to hide, and we should see what it is."

"All right," Jacen replied.

"Ready to go?"

Jacen nodded. "Just one sec."

He walked over to a tree, activated his lightsaber, and cut a long limb off a nearby tree. Deactivating his saber, Jacen pulled out his knife and began whittling the branch into some semblance of a walking stick. He passed it to his uncle, and then made one for himself.

"Ready," Jacen said.

Luke grinned at his nephew's ingenuity, and they set out together. Soon enough, the cliffs surrounding them cut off and they were walking in the wide open plains. Jacen passed the time by seeing how many different kinds of birds, snakes, and other animals he could see.

After several hours of walking, Luke abruptly stopped and threw his backpack onto the ground. Jacen frowned and stopped beside Luke, dropping his own pack. Luke began rummaging in the pack.

"What're we doing?" Jacen asked.

"Lunch!" Luke replied brightly.

Jacen grinned and sat down beside his uncle. His uncle handed him a rationed lunch and Jacen tore into it hungrily.

Jaina awoke in the middle of the night with a curious sense of hunger. She licked her lips, pulled herself out of bed, and reached for her gray jacket. She pulled it on and walked out of her quarters in the direction of the kitchen. She thought it was probably Jacen's hunger she was feeling but sometimes it was hard to tell; this wouldn't be the first time Jaina got the urge for a midnight snack.

She reached the Jedi academy's kitchen and looked through their scarce provisions. Finally settling on a small package of processed fruits, she walked into the dining room and sat down at a table. She tore open the package and began eating in silence. Or at least, mostly silence.

She heard footsteps outside the dining room and frowned. Who else would be up at this hour? Even the Masters would be in their quarters meditating. A moment later the door slid open and Kyp Durron walked in. It took a moment for him to spot her.

"Jaina?" he asked. "What are you doing?"

"I'm hungry," Jaina explained.

"Ah." Kyp walked over to the table she was sitting at and stood there for a moment. "It okay if I sit down?"

Jaina nodded hesitantly. "Sure, Kyp. Sure."

He took a seat and smiled at her. "So, how do you like the academy, Jaina? I heard about that thing with the Imperium that happened a while ago. I'm sorry I couldn't have been here."

Jaina scowled a little. "Kyp...you would've been here if you weren't off chasing smugglers with your squadron." She paused a beat. "What's it like to fly in combat?"

"It's great," Kyp replied. "The constant rush...the feeling that you could be annihilated at any moment but being good enough to avoid it, and hopefully keep it from your squadron-mates...there's not a feeling like it in the galaxy."

Jaina nodded enviously. "I have flown a few ships, and Mara's let me sit in her Z-95 before, even taxi it out of the hangar...but I've never done a combat mission."

Kyp stood suddenly and pushed his chair back under the table. "Pray you never have to, Jaina Solo. Because when you do, you won't be a kid anymore." He forced a smile and nodded politely. "Good night."

"Uh...good night, Kyp."

Finished with her snack, Jaina threw the wrapper in the nearest trash chute and returned to her quarters to snuggle up under her blankets.

AzureAngel2 and Gemma like this.
  4. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Kyp is right that Jaina will no longer be an innocent child after her first firefight. May the developers at Del Rey and Lucas Books burn for putting young teenagers through what they put them through. War is one thing but that kind of war is another thing entirely.

Sent from my PADD using Tapatalk

"The Starman and Moon Goddess." Han Solo - Dark Angel

AzureAngel2 and Revanfan1 like this.
  5. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    Kyp is a bit contradictory here. 'It's great...the constant rush....' but then tells Jaina, '...Pray you never have to..'. Kind of a 'Do as I say, not as I do...' statement.

LM, I would argue that ALL wars are 'that kind of war'.

Nice update.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  6. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    SiouxFan, Kyp doesn't want Jaina to go through what he has; but having already gone through it he might as well enjoy it!

Lady_Misty

Chapter 10

If these were hills, Jacen mused, then he didn't want to see what the Yalarans considered to be mountains. They had finally located the cave, but it was over halfway up the rock "hill" and it was almost dusk now. Jacen reached in his backpack and pulled out all the climbing gear Luke had packed for them. Strapping the belt around his waist, Jacen looked up at the cave.

"This is going to be a long climb, isn't it, Uncle Luke?"

Luke grinned. "You bet, Jacen. Let's get started."

Luke pulled on thick climbing gloves and fired his grapnel launcher. The cord just reached the cave and latched on. Jacen fired his own cord. Together, they started toward the top. They were halfway up when Jacen's danger sense tingled. He reached down and grabbed his lightsaber worriedly. Luke motioned for him to be still.

What is it? Jacen asked through the Force.

Force trap, Luke replied. Probably planted by Obi-Wan.

Luke reached out with the Force and Jacen watched him, worriedly. Luke touched the rock wall with the Force, and Jacen's danger sense evaporated. Jacen blew out a breath of relief, and continued climbing.

They finally reached the cave and clambered inside. The sun had finally set, and Jacen blew out a tired breath. He rolled onto his back, unclipped his cord, and just relaxed there for a moment. Luke sat down across from Jacen and grinned.

"Tired?" Luke asked.

Jacen blew out a breath. "Ah...nah...just getting started!"

Luke laughed. Then they lay there for several minutes, regaining their strength. Finally, they stood together and entered the cave. The first thing Jacen noticed was that everything had a strange, golden glow. He looked down at his body. He, too, had a golden glow. So did Uncle Luke. At the end of the room sat a large box.

Luke took a cautious step toward the box. Finally, just before he reached it, a third golden figure appeared. Bearded, with shoulder-length hair, and clad in Jedi robes, the figure stepped forward. Jacen recognized him with a start as Obi-Wan Kenobi.

"Luke," Obi-Wan said.

Luke's eyes widened. "Obi-Wan? I thought...you told me you couldn't appear to me anymore."

"This is a special place, Luke," Obi-Wan replied. "Here, I appear as I imprinted myself upon this place. My imprint has been here since before the Clone Wars, waiting for a Jedi to find it. When it did, I felt the summons from within the Force. I am glad it was you, Luke."

Luke grinned. "Well, I found it. What is it?"

"It...is a decoy," Obi-Wan said with a sly grin. "It does have a Force connection within it, but it is a decoy for a truly powerful object held on another world."

"Where?" Luke asked.

"A planet called Voss," Obi-Wan said. "A planet of Force-seeing Mystics who have been hidden from the galaxy for over three thousand years. Only the Jedi knew about them."

Luke and Jacen gaped at the same time. "How do we find Voss?" Luke asked.

"Inside the box," Obi-Wan explained, "is a datapad containing the coordinates for Voss. Go, Luke. It is time for the Voss to rejoin the galaxy."

Everything went suddenly back to normal, and Obi-Wan was gone.

"Well," Luke said, "we're off to Voss."

7. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Sounds like home; the hills and mountain thing. The Appalachian Mountains are big hills compared to the Rocky Mountains.

Now they are headed elsewhere.

8. SiouxFan

Mar 6, 2012
    Man, that was a lot of work to go through just to be told to go somewhere else! And going down is a lot tougher than going up…at least it is for me. They'll probably just float down.

9. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    Oh, wow, a Jacen and Luke adventure! Colour me interested! I love seeing pre-NJO Jacen. And I really love seeing Luke be an actual Jedi Master instead of just leaning back while the kids gallivant around the galaxy getting into trouble. :p I'll be following this for sure - PM/tag me when you update, please?

Revanfan1 and SiouxFan like this.
  10. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Lady_Misty, Iverna

Chapter 11

Luke and Jacen returned to the Yalarans' city and stayed the night. They left in the early morning, thanking the Yalarans for their kindness and promising to tell them what they found on Voss. Then, taking off, they prepared to enter the coordinates for the mysterious, lost planet.

"What do you think the Voss are like?" Jacen asked. "I read up on them last night before I went to bed, and apparently the Empire conducted business there for a short time...before the end of the war. Then they pulled out. They didn't realize the Force significance of the planet and pulled out because there was no strategic value. That's why it doesn't appear in any records; no one cares about it anymore."

Luke nodded. "We'll change that," he said with a smile.

Hovering above Yalara, the rusty brown freighter floated where no one could see it. As Skywalker's ship came up, the captain bit her lip and grinned. Finally, the break she needed. Snapping her fingers, she gave her crewmen a quick set of orders. The freighter shot forward and powered up its weapons.

Jacen jerked in alarm as the ship's early warning systems blared. He swung around to look at the security feed. A decrepit old freighter was coming up on them, shields and weapons powered. He turned to warn Luke, but his uncle had already powered up their own shields and was coming about.

"Who is it?" Jacen asked.

"I'm not sure," Luke replied calmly. "Don't worry. We'll figure this out." He keyed the comm system. "Unidentified freighter, this is Jedi Master Luke Skywalker. You have powered up your weapons toward my ship. Be advises, my nephew is aboard, and I will not hesitate to defend him."

"Shut down, Skywalker," said a female voice. "We've got you cold. We have conner nets trained on you now. You even think about bringing your weapons to bear and we'll shut you down before you can blink." There was a brief pause. "Now, please, power down your shields and prepare a docking tube."

Jacen had no doubt the 'please' was anything but. She was serious. Without saying a word, he moved back into the passenger bay and picked up his lightsaber from the countertop. Luke followed him, the shields already powered down and the engines killed. The freighter moved alongside them and extended its docking tube to meet the Sabre's.

"Should we fight?" Jacen asked.

Luke jerked his head sharply. "No. I don't want you getting hurt."

Despite this statement, Luke took several long strides in front of Jacen and put his hand on his lightsaber so he'd be in a prime position to defend his nephew. Jacen fingered the activation stud of his saber nervously and assumed a fighting crouch his aunt Mara had taught him. The docking hatch opened, and a pair of skeletal aliens entered, training large blaster pistols on Luke. In their other hand they held stun batons. Obviously not here to kill, then, Jacen decided.

"Handsssss up, Ssskywalker," rasped one of them.

Jacen studied the aliens. They seemed so familiar...and then, with a start, he remembered. Yevetha! The xenophobic aliens had once tried to conquer the New Republic, and had very nearly killed Jacen's father and disgraced his mother. A surge of anger built up inside him and he nearly charged forward...until a third figure entered the cabin.

Female, green-skinned–a Mirialan–and wearing tight black pants and a cropped top with a plunging neckline, and a blaster holstered at her hip, the woman stepped toward Luke with a stride that was so feminine it belied the threat of the blaster. She faced Luke, a hard glare on her face.

"Skywalker," she said. "You have what I want."

Instead of answering, Luke glanced over her shoulder. "You have Yevetha officers. You must be quite the captain for such xenophobic aliens to serve you."

One of the Yevethans snarled and stepped forward, raising his stun baton, but the woman held up a hand, gesturing sharply. The alien backed down. She turned back towards Luke.

"They serve well enough. My name is Captain Katya Cohl. Again, you have what I want."

Luke gazed impassively into her eyes. "And that would be?"

"Whatever was in that box in that hill down there. I sent countless men up that mountainside, and they were all killed by Kenobi's trap. Give me what's in the box, and you and your nephew can live. If not..." She gestured casually to the Yevetha. "They can have their way with you."

Luke, still impassive, nodded. "Very well. Inside the box was a datapad with coordinates to the planet called Voss."

Katya twisted her lips wryly. "Really? Well, then. Since we both appear to be headed in the same direction, why don't you come aboard my ship?"

Luke shook his head. "No. No, Jacen and I can manage alone."

"That wasn't a request, Skywalker. You will accompany me. I do not trust you to give me the correct coordinates. The only way to guarantee you do is to make sure you have reason to. That reason being, I'm your only way there, now."

"What about the Sabre?"

"We'll tow it with us. Our tractor beam can more than handle it."

Luke nodded. "Very well. But I should warn you, my wife would be most displeased if any harm came to her ship. If something happens to it...well, there would be nowhere safe enough for you to hide."

"I'm not scared of your woman, Skywalker." She gestured. "Come. My guards will arrange quarters for you and your nephew, but for the time being you will accompany me to the bridge. Now. Oh, and hand over your lightsabers."

Jacen, reluctantly, handed his lightsaber to one of the Yevetha–the ugly one, he told himself, I'll remember that so I know who to go after–and followed Luke and Katya aboard the smuggler's ship. Aboard the bridge, five more Yevetha began maneuvering the ship to tow the Sabre. One walked up to Luke and held out a deadly-looking hand. Luke handed him the datapad.

"Stand behind me," Katya told them. "My Yevetha are well-trained, but if you get in the way...I cannot stop them."

Jacen, standing there, found himself having a curiously hard time looking away from the V-shape of Katya's neckline. He felt curiously guilty about it, but something made it almost ridiculously hard to look away. He'd never quite felt something like this before; not even his feelings for Tenel Ka were similar. This felt more...primitive, somehow. He saw Katya look at him, and his cheeks flushed red. He turned his eyes away.

"Coordinates entered," rasped one of the Yevetha.

"Go," Katya said.

Jaina had just finished lunch and was walking down the hallway when she felt a rush of desire and embarrassment from the Jacen-part of her mind. Frowning, she stopped in her tracks. She reached out with the Force to touch Jacen. He felt confused.

He's near an attractive woman, Jaina realized. Stars, didn't Dad have that talk with him yet?

Jaina's mother had, just before the last time she'd come back to Yavin IV. Maybe she was worried that, with Zekk there, Jaina would give into the wild hormone imbalances of teenage life. As if, she grumbled to herself. Still, it would be just like Dad to be too shy and embarrassed to have that talk with Jacen. Somehow, Mom was better with that kind of thing. Dad had better get the ball rolling, Jaina mused, or Jacen would be behind the other students.

Stars, even Lowie probably knows...ah, forget that line of thought!

Sending a sense of reassurance and don't-give-into-that-feeling to Jacen, she turned the corner and caught up to Tenel Ka, who was walking ahead of her. Tenel Ka turned her head and smiled at Jaina.

"Headed for lightsaber practice?" Tenel Ka asked.

Jaina nodded. "Yeah."

She decided against telling Tenel Ka about her sense of Jacen. The poor girl wouldn't feel good if she knew Jacen was looking at another female. She had a terrible crush on Jacen–even if Tenel Ka herself didn't know it yet. Jaina did, though, so she kept quiet. She forced a smile.

"Let's go," she said. "We've got a Wookiee and a tall boy to beat up."

11. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Sorry that I am late, my laptop was in the shop for a long time and just got it back an hour ago and then I realized that I missed an alert. :(

This is bad but Jaina's thoughts are funny.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  12. SiouxFan

Mar 6, 2012
    "I'm not afraid of your woman, Skywalker." You'd better be, Captain Cohl…she's going to be pretty p@@#ed when she hears what you said!

Uh-oh, Jace--hormones…forever will they control your destiny. (Yoda voice)

I know Tenel Ka is pretty good in a fight, but I'm not sure her or Jaina can beat a Wookie! Fun stuff.

13. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Lady_Misty, Iverna, sorry for the delays. As I said in my Happy Birthday, Ben thread, my family recently moved to a new state and I really haven't thought about updating this lately. Finally have time, so here we go.

Chapter 12

Jacen paced the small room the pirates had given them and tried not to think about Katya Cohl's appearance. He wondered why his body had reacted to her the way it had; was it natural? Some special power that she or her species had? Something Force-related? Luke, the next cell over, leaned through the barred window as far as he could.

"Jacen, what you felt was totally natural," Luke said. "Trust me."

"What was it?" Jacen asked.

"Well, uh...it was..." Luke stuttered. "It was sexual desire, Jacen."

"Sexual desire?" Jacen asked. "Why did I feel that?"

"Apparently you found Captain Katya rather attractive...whether you knew it or not."

"But how could I not know it?"

Luke smiled. "Well, you were spending an inordinate amount of time staring at her chest, Jacen. It's a natural part of growing up, when the female figure naturally starts to register to a male's senses. It may take a while for the male to...wait, hasn't your dad had this talk with you?"

Confused, Jacen shook his head. "No, should he have?"

"Probably," Luke replied with a chuckle.

Jacen spent several minutes in silence, pondering what Luke had told him. He paced back and forth, hands in his pockets. Finally, he turned back to Luke.

"Have you ever felt it, Uncle Luke?"

Luke chuckled nervously. "Well, uh...yeah."

"When?"

Luke reached down to loosen his collar, swallowed several times, and sighed. "Well, Jacen, that's...it really isn't something you ask someone else."

"Why?"

"Because it's personal, that's all."

"But how can I know when it's okay to feel it if I don't know how it applies to someone else?"

Luke pondered that for a moment and then laughed. Jacen wondered what was so funny. He hadn't done anything wrong, had he? He was just curious.

"All right, Jacen, but you can't tell anyone about this, hear me? Not your sister or brother, not your parents...not Mara."

"Promise, Uncle Luke."

Luke cleared his throat. "Well, I have felt that...desire...most often in Mara's presence, especially when she's wearing an outfit that's especially tight or revealing. I also felt it often around Callista, before I was married to Mara."

"But what does that feeling mean?"

Luke's eyes looked like they were going to bug out of his head. "Well, Jacen, I–that's something to ask your dad when we get out of here."

Jacen hesitated. "Are we getting out of here, Uncle Luke?"

"Of course we are, Jacen," Luke said. "As soon as this ship reaches its destination. We're certainly not letting a pirate captain and a bunch of Yevetha have any kind of Force relic."

Jacen nodded. "All right, Uncle Luke. Just tell me when to make a move and I'll be right with you."

14. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    Isn't Jacen a little too old to be just now learning about puberty? I have to admit that reading the man who said "She's so beautiful" and "But I was going to Toschi Station to pick up some power converters!" is teaching the son of Han Solo about women. lol

15. Ewok_Slayer

Ewok_Slayer Jedi Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    Jacen is 14 and Han didn't give him the talk yet? Hasn't he learned about women the old fashioned way…through holonet porn? :p Sorry…I had to unlurk since an embarrassed, pubescent Jacen is fun to read. :D

AzureAngel2, SiouxFan and Revanfan1 like this.
  16. SiouxFan

Mar 6, 2012
    '...some power that she or her species had?'--Actually Jace...yes, yes it is.

I agree with Windu...getting 'the talk' from Luke is pretty funny...kind of a 'don't be as dorky as I was' sort of talk. Good stuff.

AzureAngel2, Gemma and Revanfan1 like this.
  17. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    I think my youngest brother has been given the Talk.and he's fifteen.

Luke is going to let into Han when they get back.

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi! LOL! This is a rollicking adventure. :cool: I like your pre-NJO Jedi-in-training. Very much IC according to age and personality. =D= I am with SiouxFan on the Kyp perspective. The NR and other official types aren't making anybody safer from the pirates and other low-lifes. Jedi don't need to become political servants - like they were before; so tied to the Republic for funding and missions they got blindsided by who the actual Sith were. :rolleyes: I had a big chuckle over Jacen's reaction and Luke's fumbling over the 'noticing girls' talk. [face_laugh]

AzureAngel2, Lady_Misty and Revanfan1 like this.
  19. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    This is a really great adventure. I loved the mention of practice sabers -- I always liked to call them lightswords. I loved that you included Kyp -- he's one of favorite characters right after L/M. Loved Luke's comments about Mara's ship and that there would not be a safe place in the galaxy if something happened to the Jade Sabre. I thought it was precious that Tenal Ka curled up in Jacen's bed after tending to his animals.

I thought that this was completed. -- If you decide to add more to this please tag me in.

20. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Found this and really like it. Will you be continuing the story?

21. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I'll continue it at some point; I confess I'd completely forgotten about it. [face_blush]

22. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Ups, me too. There has been a lot that sucked me in recently. I am a fanfic addict.

:_|

Ah well, there is worse out there... bad story telling, from official movies for example.

[face_whistling]

So thank you!

Revanfan1 likes this.