main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Lessons

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by snowspeeder_gunner, Nov 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowspeeder_gunner

snowspeeder_gunner Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Name: Lessons
    Author: snowspeeder_gunner
    Disclaimer: Not my characters, just playing with them

He opened his eyes slowly, savoring the last vestiges of sleep that gradually slipped away.
    Yawning, he slid out of bed and began to prepare breakfast. As he set the table, he stretched out into the Force. He could sense his trainee, still sleeping soundly after his first day of training.

Another hour for his sleep, the Master thought, deciding to use the extra time to plan for the day?s lesson.

He sat down and ate the warm meal he had made. He leaned across the table and pulled the well worn datapad to him, vaguely pushing away the wistful memories it invoked. He turned his thoughts back to his young trainee.

So inexperienced, he thought. Most temple children had had a better grasp on the Force than this one.

He pulled up The Standard Temple Lesson on The Force. The words on the screen blurred by as he skimmed them, more for routine than anything as they had long since been engraved into his memory.

Midichlorians?Unifying Force?Living Force...metaphysical...non corporeal?

The words ran through his mind down the old familiar paths, bringing up even more old memories that he did not wish to dwell on.

He tried to refocus and get back into planning for the lesson. For some reason, these same words that he had heard for years, words that had defined his very thoughts and soul, felt cheap and wrong today.

Foolishness, he admonished himself. Who was he to question the traditional and well used way of teaching? There was nothing wrong with this lesson, nothing at all. He was just nervous.

?Keep telling yourself that,? a painfully familiar voice spoke.

The Master sighed, conflicted.

Qui-Gon gave him a crooked smile. ?Do you still believe in the Force?? he asked.

?Always,? the Master replied softly. He looked down. ?These words?this lesson, though,? the
    Master muttered, starting to feel more foolish, ?Not sure if I?? he trailed off.

?Believe them? Understand them?? Qui-Gon prompted.

The Master looked up, ?Feel them,? he replied.

?Then don?t use those words,? Qui-Gon replied, his thoughtful eyes staring, as knowing as ever.

The eyes slipped back into the Force, where the Master could still feel them, always watching.
    He looked at the lesson plan again, with its large words that conveyed so little of the miracle he experienced every day.

The sun had risen, but the large clouds would not let the slightest bit of light even try to fight its way through the dense trees.

The Master felt his apprentice wake up, and the young man came into the room, awaiting instruction. Wordlessly, his Master indicated that they would be going on a run.
    The young man was strong, and the physical part of training was not a serious problem. But when it came time to concentrate, it quickly became evident that the apprentice did not have a wealth of patience.

?I can?t! It?s too big!? he yelled in frustration.

The Master first got the young one straight on the size issue, or non-issue rather. That was easy, but the difficult part was approaching. Here it was, the time for the grand old lesson, time to use the mighty words he had spoken to countless other initiates. Time to instruct another youngling in the ways of the Force. But the Master hesitated, remembering Qui-Gon?s advice.

His heart ached, still, after all these years, and somehow, midichlorians weren't going to suffice for an explanation.

So Yoda took a deep breath and instead spoke the deepest feelings of his heart to his apprentice, ?For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. ..?

He didn?t use a single word from the Standard Temple Lesson on The Force. For the first time in a long time, he felt peace.

2. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Thats excellent! =D= I've never thought much about conventional Jedi teachings myself. It's nice to see Yoda thinking outside the box a bit.:)

3. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Sounds like ghosty Qui-Gon teaching Yoda how to teach Luke.:D

Very interesting to think Yoda needs advice.=D=

4. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    It's nice to see Yoda still open to learning at his age.

He didn?t use a single word from the Standard Temple Lesson on The Force. For the first time in a long time, he felt peace.

And willing to make the necessary changes in training.

Great job on this

=D= =D= =D= =D=

5. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Lovely piece of writing. Loved to see Qui-Gon teaching Yoda.

=D==D==D=

6. snowspeeder_gunner

Apr 10, 2007
    Thanks guys! This has been stuck in my head for awhile, so it was good to finally get it out. :)

Robimus- Yeah, I don't know if Yoda would really think like this or not, but who knows!

Gkilkenny- Haha, Luke got taught by quite a few old ghosties. :p

KELIA- Thanks for reading! I like to think Yoda always wanted to learn.

earlybird- Thank you so much for reading!! I like Qui-Gon teaching Yoda, too. :)

Thanks again for reading! [:D]

7. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    Wow, I really enjoyed this piece. :) Really well done! =D= I liked seeing Yoda remember Qui-gon's advice, and using it in his training of Luke, and I liked him being open-minded as well. Very, very nice!! @};- [:D]
    =D= =D= =D= =D=

8. snowspeeder_gunner

Apr 10, 2007
    Thanks, dancing_star!! (you always put my name in such pretty colors, I wanted to do it for you, haha! :p)

I like to imagine Yoda as pretty open minded, too.

Thanks for reading![:D]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.