main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:SA Lest we forget

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by TK1571, Nov 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TK1571

TK1571 Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2003
    Just thought i would pay my respects to those older than me who have fought and given up their lives for our freedom and also those who still serve in the armed forces...

I have no relatives who fought in any of the wars but i still would like to say thank you.

2. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    I lost 6 great uncles in WW1 - one a state champion marksman who was deployed to the beaches of Gallipoli, sadly he died before he got to shoot his rifle. :(

3. TK1571

Sep 10, 2003
    sorry to hear that AD turns out that i had an great uncle who died in WW1, sad part, he died coming home.... but i have uncles and other relatives who fought in the Colonial Wars that Portugal was involved in the 60s and 70s....

4. Nawara-Ven

Nawara-Ven Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2004
    weird....

I tried to teach my year 3/4 class about rememberance day today, just to give them some background as to why we stop for the minute silence and to educate them about how lucky they are to be living in Oz...
    I was a little disappointed that they really weren't interested and showed little respect during the minute's silence - 'specially considering we have 3 kids in our class who have come from Iraq in recent years.

I guess wisdom does come with age, huh?

:)

5. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condem. At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we will remember them.

6. oz_skipp

oz_skipp Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2004
    We had a minutes silence with my year 8 class early in the morning because even though we were due to have an 11am service, it was rained out. I was quite impressed with them because at 11.05 they gave me grief because we missed the real minutes of silence time. Oops. I think that they were genuine and not just saying it to get out of work!

7. milney

milney Jedi Master star 5

Aug 21, 2003
    My great grandfather fought in WWI, I have his medals somewhere.

Lucky for me, he survived the war. He died a long time ago though, I never knew him.

8. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    I am sorry you never knew him Milney, listening to old people tell their stories is wonderful. My step grandfather-in-law (yeah, you read right) has told me some amazing stories about WW2 - he served in England during the blitz. He is a brave man and I admire him.

9. I_am_Kooky

I_am_Kooky Sth Aust. Chapter Representative star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    I am not sure how many of my family was in the wars but

My Grandpa was in WW2 he was a mecanic, and returend home, he died when i was 8 or 9 when he died. I have fond memories of him. I miss him too, I wish we would come back and give my brother a little bit of grif for taking down my most fave tree. :mad: Only me and popa like the fruit it produced. YOu cant buy fejouios. (sp?) They have anouther name, but you cnat buy them. :(

10. milney

Aug 21, 2003
    My grandfather was in WW2.

He was a member of the special Z unit. I've got his medals too. I did know him though. I was so upset when he died. I was about 11 at the time.

11. evil-incarnate

evil-incarnate Jedi Youngling star 7

Jun 30, 2004
    My father was in the Clone Wars- I was told he was a navigator on a freighter.
    Oops, multiple personality disorder again.
    Whilst I respect the fortitude of those who sacrificed their lives in order to give freedom to the rest of us, I still can't see the wisdom of fighting for Religion, or land.
    We've got a damn small planet that we're ruining daily & kids starving so some pathetic "warlord" in a African nation can get rich & powerful.
    Basically, we're all pathetic.
    To quote the Matrix - "Mankind is a disease, a cancer"

12. Nawara-Ven

Sep 19, 2004
    =D=

well said, E-I. I totally agree.

This is why I am not a religious person myself - my opinion is that religion causes war and enforces judgement of others, even if it claims that it doesn't. It's one thing to believe in an entity that may or may not exist to enforce one's own existence - it's another to believe that those who don't believe the same are below you or should not exist.

just my opinion.

:D

we should all be putting our energies into making the world a safer and healthier place for our and others' children to grow up in..for they shall inherit what we leave behind.

13. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    sighs and dreams of the Star Trek world, no war, no money, no hunger and freedom and equality for all...

Well, I can dream can't I?

14. Nawara-Ven

Sep 19, 2004
    yeah.......

can we go live there? please?

:)

15. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Yeah, but we have to wear them 'Trekkie uniforms' and that has to be a concern......some of my 'bit's' just won't cut it in that clobber...

16. Darth_Meanders

Darth_Meanders Jedi Master star 5

May 23, 2004
    I'm glad you expressed your post as an opinion N-V, and of course I would agree the enforcement of one's views on another is undesirable. But I'm also of the opinion that the goals you express (that of making the world a better place) and those of many religions are not necessarily mutually exclusive. Its just that the nutters are the ones that end up getting all the press.

So we won't be seeing you as Lt. Uhura A-D? ;)

17. Nawara-Ven

Sep 19, 2004
    I totally agree A-D...ALL of my bits just wouldn't cut it in one of those outfits...

:D

18. TK1571

Sep 10, 2003
    Well it is time to pay my respects to those that have fallen...

Thank You

Lest We Forget [b/]

19. DarkDisciple

DarkDisciple Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 20, 2005
    Here Here,

Thank you.

20. MsWinter

MsWinter Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    okay, my thoughts may or may not count (as noted by previous posts)

but

lest we forget.

thankyou to those men and women who gave their lives for us to live in the 'lucky country'....

and hoping that we or our children never have to face such atrocities or bloodshed....

peace out.

21. milney

Aug 21, 2003
    "They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the yeras condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them.

Lest we Forget."

22. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    I was going to say that Milney :)

Dad is picking Cassie and I up at 5am on Monday, and my brothers...we are going to dawn service at Brighton - the war memorial at the jetty. It was lovely last year, the ocean in teh back ground. Very proud of my father. [face_love]

23. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    Both my grandfathers were in the Air Force in WWII. Though I don?t believe in war, I respect those with the courage to serve their country and defend our way of life.

We will remember them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.