main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Lest Ye Be Judged--Vader war crimes trial--Voted Best All-Around, thanks!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by DarthIshtar, Jun 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashamaphone

Ashamaphone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    Hey, DarthIshtar! I'm sorry for not posting any replies lately, I've been on vacation and this is the first internet connection I've had in days. I'm glad that the first time I got back online there was a yummy postie just waiting for me!

Leia's revelation moment was well executed. And that roasted Ewok comment is very effective. ;)

2. Sethathoryunet

Sethathoryunet Jedi Master star 1

May 8, 2004
    . . . "having two Rogues will bring this back from the land of the impossible.?
    [face_laugh]

Very, very good!
    Hope the migraine's gone [:D]

I love this story, because I think this is exactly how these characters would've reacted.
    I have read so many that let Leia get over it way too quickly.

=D=

3. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Ashamaphone--Hey, DarthIshtar! I'm sorry for not posting any replies lately, I've been on vacation and this is the first internet connection I've had in days. I'm glad that the first time I got back online there was a yummy postie just waiting for me!

Hey, I totally understand. And I've been off-base/off-line in the last few days. Glad you're still here.

Leia's revelation moment was well executed. And that roasted Ewok comment is very effective.

I remembered after writing it that line in Dark Journey where Han accuses Jaina of being vicious to her mother and he then says "Don't look at me like I just kicked an ewok!" The ewok-roasting was kind of a horror/perverse amusement sort of thing.

Sethathoryunet--. . . "having two Rogues will bring this back from the land of the impossible.?

Very, very good!
    Hope the migraine's gone

I love the line in The Krytos Trap where they're about to convict Tycho for Corran's murder, then Corran shows up to testify and Ackbar goes "This is impossible!" and Corran goes "Impossible is what Rogues do best."

I love this story, because I think this is exactly how these characters would've reacted.
    I have read so many that let Leia get over it way too quickly.

I'm glad you were impressed with the characterizations. I don't always feel comfortable when writing Wedge, especially, because he's very different from any way I've ever talked and has a different kind of maturity. As for Leia, I've always been a fan of Kathy Tyers who had that great scene in the Truce at Bakura, where Leia has a major issue with Anakin as a Force-ghost trying to gain her forgiveness. I write a lot from personal experience and the last time I had dealt with Leia's need to forgive her father was before I had been the victim of an abusive marriage. I knew that it was a hard thing to do, but I had no idea how much something can really torment you or color your perception.

4. RebelPrincess

RebelPrincess Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 6, 2001
    Great post! It was worth the wait :) I think you handled everyone's reactions to the news very well.

?I never knew my mother?s name,? she continued. ?I probably would not have known that I had ever been another mother?s child, except I kept having dreams about a woman. One day, I was in my mother?s room when I recognized the woman standing next to her in a few of the holos as the woman from my dreams. It was, however, too dangerous to know anything except that she had been my mother once upon a lifetime. They told me that this was because she had been a personal enemy of both Vader and the Emperor. That was enough explanation for me.

I loved this part...I thought it served as a very plausible explanation for Leia's memories of her real mother.

Well, I'll say it once again: I loved it and I can't wait for more! :)

5. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm glad you liked the strength of the reactions. I also like Leia's explanation of how much knowledge of her mother she had, how they worked around the fact that she could remember, but didn't know why. I'm glad you liked this, overall.

6. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    Aww, great post!

?I probably would not have known that I had ever been another mother?s child, except I kept having dreams about a woman. One day, I was in my mother?s room when I recognized the woman standing next to her in a few of the holos as the woman from my dreams.

Nice explanation! Dreams are so...knowing...sometimes.

Inexplicably, this gesture of affection inspired a bout of violent trembling instead of the relief that she had expected to experience. Han, in the past, might have withdrawn at this reaction, but recognized instead the need to be held.

I like this line. It's so like Leia.

?Good,? Leia said curtly, throwing him a grateful look at last. ?I?ve asked you here because there are few that I can trust this far and this deeply to do the job as it is required. Besides which, having two Rogues will bring this back from the land of the impossible.?

I like how she can trust these people at least, so she's not doing this all alone. :)

7. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah, dreams do tell a lot. I'm glad you liked the paragraph that starts with the word with "Inexplicably." It was hard to write. And I like having certain people always be trustworthy.

8. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    This will be updated tonight. I have 6 pages so far.

9. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Her feet beat the same harried rhythm as her pulse as they approached the cabin once more. She had been tempted to let Luke lead the way, since she wasn?t sure that she could have found her own face with both hands at that point, but he hung back, automatically fitting into the role of wingman to Wedge.

She envied that habit, envied the fact that he could still find something familiar as an anchor when he had casually dismantled so many things that she had long considered constant. Of course, when he had been in the same transitional period, she had been virtually unable to cope in the same way that he was now. She had lost too much, suffered too much, and she had begun to forget how to hope.

And it was all at the hands of the man he expected her to call father.

In the long, lonely hours following the battle, she had come to realize that his uncharacteristic melancholy had everything to do with what Vader must have said to him at Bespin. The debriefing he?d given on those events, spoken in a tremulous voice as his hands twisted around a handkerchief, mentioned that the had been offered an alliance with Vader. The fact that the Falcon had retrieved him at the bottom of a ventilation shaft was evidence enough that he had not accepted.

She had never forced herself to learn what exactly the terms of the alliance had been, because his torment was ample explanation.

Did he offer you my freedom if you became just as much a slave as he is? Did he threaten you? Did he torture your mind the way he did mine?

Judging from the amount of time that had passed between her screamed warning to him and the moment when they turned the Falcon on its heel for the return trip to Bespin, the conversation could not have lasted more than a few minutes. The devastation to his spirit was comparable, however, to what she had suffered in three weeks on the Death Star.

Either Vader had learned to aim more effectively or the weapons he used against Luke were much more powerful.

Before she allowed justice to claim him, she would ask this man who claimed to have given her life what precisely he had done to the one person she loved most.

?Charges?? Rieekan inquired quietly as he checked the power pack on his blaster.

?Keep it simple,? she counseled. ?He has committed crimes against civilization. If we went into specifics, he would die of old age before we got through the first five years of the war.?

He smiled tightly, then raised one smudged hand to cup her cheek as he kissed her forehead. ?Crimes against civilization it is.?

Her eyes drifted closed against frustrated tears, blocking the sight of the wary procession from her mind. By the time her emotions had been restrained, she was the last to enter the room. Luke and Wedge automatically took up post on either side, not quite blocking her view, but keeping her out of the proverbial line of fire.

Darth Skywalker was more conscious this time, but there was neither condemnation nor contempt in those eyes. There was no hostility or aggression.

The only thing Anakin Vader seemed to be capable of was a heartfelt resignation.

Either he?s a very good actor or he has his cooperative days.

?Are you Anakin Skywalker, alias Darth Vader, Dark Lord of the Sith?? Rieekan asked unnecessarily, for procedure?s sake.

The voice was reedy, spoken as though struggling for each breath. ?I am he.?

?Anakin Skywalker,? Rieekan began quietly.

Rieekan faltered, then straightened his shoulders and began once more with his customary steadiness of voice and clearness of mind. This sort of calm was the exact reason why she had asked him to come.

"Anakin Skywalkar, alias Darth Vader,? he repeated, ?by the graces of the Rebel Alliance of Free Peoples, I charge you with crimes against the sentient beings of this universe, including but not limited to murder, treason, sabotage, and war crimes to be determined at a future date."

He had more calm than she could muster and more eloquence than she could have summoned at such a time.

10. skywalker64089

skywalker64089 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Tying in to one of your other stories. I like that.

S.

11. Siaynoqsbride

Siaynoqsbride Jedi Master star 4

May 17, 2005
    Oh, wow. This was such a powerful post! From arresting Vader to his simple resignation... this is amazing! *Love* how you are tying it into In Sickness and In Health. I loved Anakin's recounting of their marriage, and Leia's skepticism. I actually winced at the line where she askes him ?I hate to wonder what she fell in love with if beating and mind-raping me inspires nostalgia.? That was really good.

12. Sethathoryunet

Sethathoryunet Jedi Master star 1

May 8, 2004
    "Us. At least now I can pinpoint a time when he wasn?t Vader. It was too long ago."

I like it. She's bending. Very slowly, but surely. . . :)

Nice going with the 'realism', still nothing out of character!
    And don't let Leia get too mad, because that's really not her, she's got way too much control
    for that.

Next post please! =D= ;)

13. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Thanks, Skywalker.

14. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Siaynoqsbride--Oh, wow. This was such a powerful post! From arresting Vader to his simple resignation... this is amazing! *Love* how you are tying it into In Sickness and In Health. I loved Anakin's recounting of their marriage, and Leia's skepticism. I actually winced at the line where she askes him ?I hate to wonder what she fell in love with if beating and mind-raping me inspires nostalgia.? That was really good.

I'm glad that you like the tie-in to ISAIH. I really winced with you at the mind-raping line.

Sethathoryunet--"Us. At least now I can pinpoint a time when he wasn?t Vader. It was too long ago."

I like it. She's bending. Very slowly, but surely. . .

Yes. There will be much to bend her.

Nice going with the 'realism', still nothing out of character!
    And don't let Leia get too mad, because that's really not her, she's got way too much control
    for that.

Next post please!

Don't worry, it will take a lot to get Leia very mad.

15. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Very nice rewrite thus far, and I love how you're tying this in neatly into In Sickness and In Health.

16. Lucid_Lady

Lucid_Lady Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 28, 2002
    :eek:

Edit: I like this. It has this edge of realism that is refreshing. Keep up the good work.

17. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Thanks to you both.

18. Laura_Anu

Laura_Anu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    Just a quick post so I don't lose this...but I'm reading this, and I'm looking forward to seeing all your changes! I loved the first one, so I'm sure the "remake" will be absolutely fantabulous!

19. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Thanks, Laura!

20. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    Wow. That was an awesome post.

I liked your version of Padmé's story better than what happened to her in the movie.

It was the first time that two enemies by principle and family by birth allowed themselves to grieve for the same things.

Great line. I can't wait to see what's next!

21. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Thanks. That version of Padme's story, if you didn't know, is from In Sickness and In Health.

22. Ashamaphone

Ashamaphone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    I really liked where you interchanged his names from "Darth Skywalker" to "Anakin Vader". I also like Leia's reactions to what he was saying about Padme.

Things are just going to progressively get more difficult for her as time goes on.

Poor Leia. Well, at least I get to enjoy her emotional Hell. ;) :p [face_devil]

23. Laura_Anu

Jun 27, 2002
    I just finished catching up...and is Padme still alive??? I must know! Hahaha...sorry, I love to quote movies.

24. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Ashamaphone--I really liked where you interchanged his names from "Darth Skywalker" to "Anakin Vader". I also like Leia's reactions to what he was saying about Padme.

I probably mentioned this elsewhere, but I have a friend who once referred to her OC Caleb Skywalker as Caleb Vader when the Jedi Council was judging him. I really liked that idea of interchanging the name for that meaning.

Things are just going to progressively get more difficult for her as time goes on.

Poor Leia. Well, at least I get to enjoy her emotional Hell.

Yes, things will get very much more difficult. And I hope you do enjoy my sadistic tendencies.

Laura_Anu--I just finished catching up...and is Padme still alive??? I must know! Hahaha...sorry, I love to quote movies.

Well, this is in the same universe as In Sickness and In Health, where she is reported dead ten years after ROTS, but in the original version of LYBJ, she lives. So, you'll see!

25. Laura_Anu

Jun 27, 2002
    I guess I should go over and read ISAIH, so then I could understand what the heck was going on!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.