main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LET GO

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by thefreshman, May 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thefreshman

thefreshman Jedi Youngling

Nov 21, 2004
    This is a phrase that is used and acted out several times in the saga

ANH
    Ben-"let go your concious self and act on instinct"
    Ben lets go of his physical life in the duel with Vadar
    Ben VO - "Let go Luke"

ESB
    Yoda _ "unlearn what you have learned:
    Yoda _ "your weapons you will need them not"
    Luke lets go of the antena to escape vadar's seduction

ROTJ
    Luke gives himself up to Vadar
    Luke _ "ssearch your feelings.....let go of your hate"
    Luke lets go of his advantage and saber when beating vadar
    Vadar lets go of his life and his son at the end

prequils are a little harder I don't have the screenplays

Anakin however does not let go of anything, his mother,padme,obwan, fear, hate. the jedi even demand that there are no attachments

2. Chameleon102

Chameleon102 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2005
    ROTS - Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose. (Yoda to Anakin)

3. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Well, Anakin had to learn to let go of his mother in TPM. Don't know about AOTC... probably the same thing...

4. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    In a literal sense:

"Anakin, let her go!" - Obi-Wan/ROTS

5. Binkley71

Binkley71 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 2, 2002
    Defintely, it's a theme that defines the Jedi interaction with the world... letting go of physical and emotional attachment, not letting your senses and emotions deceive you, and learning to trust your feelings and instincts, and not to sacrifice where you are, physically and mentally, in the moment... even if it means to sacrifice those people, things and ideas that are most special to you, and who you love the most in life. That's the only way you can find any meaning and peace in the universe, and ultimately become one with the natural order. The violation of this philosophy basically sums up Anakin's fall from grace.... he was a slave when we first met him, then he was taken away from the life he knew... from his home and from his mother. In his mother's absence, he formed attachment to Padme... then he was forced to devote himself to training in the Jedi order for ten years. All the while, he kept thinking of his mother and of Padme, afraid to lose them, and haunted by them. He even tells Padme in Ep. II, when he expressed his love for her, "I will do anything you ask", and was willing to sacrifice his loyalty to the Jedi Order to keep up a secret relationship; then he violates his mandate to try to save his mother. And he finally tells Palpatine in Ep. III that he has nowhere to go and devotes himself to the dark side entirely. It seems for his entire life, Anakin was devoted to loyalty to others.... to Watto, to his mother, to Padme, to the Jedi order, and finally to Palpatine and the Empire. How ironic that when we first met him, he declared, "I'm not a slave. I'm a person, and my name is Anakin." And he was indeed a person.... with love and loyalty and generosity... but he had too much fear, and wasn't willing to compromise for a bigger cause. Anakin kept his attachments dear to him, was afraid to lose them, and that's why he felt revenge, greed, jealousy and obsession. "Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering." Step by step, it was a logical progression to his demise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.