side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubba_the_Genius

Bubba_the_Genius Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2002
    "Letting go" seemed to work very well for Luke Skywalker - when he turned off the targeting computer in the Battle of Yavin, when he defiantly fell from out of Vader's reach in the bowels of Cloud City, and when he tossed away his lightsaber before Emperor Palpatine.

It worked well for him, and I would think it would work well for a few people in this forum.

I am undoubtedly looking forward to the official release of Wizards of the Coast's Star Wars Trading Card Game, but I sympathize with those who are still upset at the fact that Decipher lost its license with Lucas.

Believe me, I sympathize. I was thoroughly enjoying Marvel's Star Trek: Early Voyages when the deal between Marvel and Paramount apparently unraveled - in the middle of a critical cliffhanger. And before that, I was one of the few fans of My So-Called Life, one of the best dramas in my lifetime, cancelled suddenly at the end of the first season. I really do sympathize with you guys.

But when my favorite things disappeared, I didn't suddenly start acting like a two-year-old who wasn't getting his way.

Certainly, most of you here are being quite civil. Many appear to be open-minded enough to actually try the new game, and some who dislike the game are at least going to the effort to establish a reasonable discourse to explain why.

But not everyone is being quite as decent, and I now wish to speak directly to the uncivil:

This continued implication that the SWTCG is somehow illegitimate, that the SWCCG is and will forever be the "One True Game" (TM), is simply ridiculous.

The incessant comments that the SWTCG is terrible, comments that offer no real reason to pursuade others to agree, are insulting to those who think the game has potential, who have ample reasons to think so, and who go out of their way to give those reasons.

And the effort to sneer at every individual that shows even a moment's interest in the game - such as Saturday's comment, "Why would you want to do anything related to SWTCG?" - is too petty for words.

Don't like the new game? Fine.

Some of us do like the game, and I believe I speak for most of the fans when I kindly ask you to LET GO and let us enjoy the game in peace.

2. Kenix Kil

Kenix Kil Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 7, 2000
    You know what? Topic has been long overdue. Thats all I need to say.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    ::considers adding a "tm" to his sig::

[face_batting]

4. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    But like I've been saying, why support the new crappy game when you can support the older, better game?

5. Bubba_the_Genius

Mar 19, 2002
    "But like I've been saying, why support the new crappy game when you can support the older, better game?"

You don't see the above statement being a TAD bit presumptuous? You not only call the SWCCG a better game, you call the SWTCG a "crappy" game - all without a word explaining why you think either.

The comment is not pursuasive in changing the minds of SWTCG fans and it enforces a stereotype that SWCCG fans are irrational, immature, and arrogant. It's not helpful to anybody.

(Comments like this are UTTERLY useless in discussing religion, politics, movies, music, and sports teams. Why on Earth would this comment suddenly become useful when it's about card games?)

In response to your question, IF we thought the new game was crap, there certainly WOULD be no reason to support it.

But we simply do not think the game is crappy.

To me, the game is a lot like a turn-based strategy game - a game like Axis and Allies or Advance Wars (for the Game Boy Advance). Those games are a LOT of fun, and I see no reason why the new game can't be fun too. Surely other fans have their own particular reasons to like the game.

You and I clearly have a difference of opinion. But the fact that my opinion is different than yours doesn't make it so invalid that you can dismiss it this casually.

So, please, be more civilized to us SWTCG fans or limit yourself to discussions about the SWCCG.

6. Bacabachaui

Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    RE:"But like I've been saying, why support the new crappy game when you can support the older, better game?"

Just ignore him. He's just trying to push your buttons. It's all he has left in the face of overwhelming evidence of what a great game SWTCG is. So he's resorted to childish tactics the rest of us left behind when we moved on to 4th grade.

7. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    You see the game as a fantastic new window into the universe of Star Wars card games. I see it for what it really is: A poorly thought-out game that does not provide a "Star Wars feel" like the one true SWCCG did and still does.

8. Kenix Kil

Feb 7, 2000
    All the CCG did was provide a confusing card game. Yes it was good but it wasnt the god game every CCG fan on here says it is. Try giving the new game a chance and dont blame Wizards for getting the license. If you were making card games and were approached to make a Star Wars game would you?

9. Bubba_the_Genius

Mar 19, 2002
    You miss my point entirely, Fortuna.

I'm not trying to pursuade you or any other Decipher purists to agree to any of the following statements:

* The TCG is better than the CCG.
    * The TCG is on par with the CCG.
    * The TCG is an enjoyable game.
    * The TCG is at least worth an honest, open-minded examination.

THIS is the only idea I'm trying to get across:

* Comments like your two posts in this very thread are COMPLETELY useless.

It's a simple idea, and the BARE MINIMUM of ideas that must be accepted so that CCG fans and TCG fans can peacefully coexist.

It's an idea you ignore utterly. You have once again asserted - as indisputable "truth" and without ANY justification - that the TCG is a bad game.

Will your assertion pursuade any of us to abandon the game or this forum? No, it won't.

Does it make you look REALLY childish? Yes, it does.

If you have a LEGITIMATE reason to dislike the game, express it - once and for all time - and move on. If not, I'd appreciate it if you focused on your own CCG and leave us TCG fans to our "poorly thought-out" card game.

(And if any CCG faithful could help me out here and help this guy see that he's making all of you look bad, I'd greatly appreciate it.)

Thank you.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Bib's post may be one-sided/biased (then again, after reading so many of his posts over the past year, I expect nothing less... ;;D) , but he is entitled to his opinion, even if it is out of place in this particular thread[face_batting]

11. Kenix Kil

Feb 7, 2000
    All I would like to see is someone talking about the TCG without seeing the words, "this is different from the CCG" which is followed by an unwritten, "so it must be bad".

12. Bubba_the_Genius

Mar 19, 2002
    The2ndQuest:

Yes, he's entitled to his opinion, but doesn't there come a point where one can say, enough is enough?

Take the reverse of the current situation: let's say some TCG fan keeps interrupting many CCG threads to do NOTHING more than reiterate his opinion that the CCG fans are wasting their time holding on to a dead game?

(To make myself clear, I DO NOT subscribe to such an opinion.)

In that case, I believe that it would be the best thing for this forum if both CCG fans and TCG fans asked the guy to kindly let go of the attitude problem.

Again, simply asserting that the TCG is crappy and not thought-out - AND claiming such an opinion is the "truth" while providing little to support it - is both utterly useless and contrary to ANY efforts to maintain peace between the two fanbases. And doing so TIME AND AGAIN, even when a guy is doing nothing more than asking about TCG web sites, is absolutely ridiculous.

13. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    Ignore him. He doesn't know what he's talking about. On ANY subject.

Bib Fortuna, Twi'Lek, on fiction: "Authors don't 'make up' things for their books."

14. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    You're taking that quote completely out of context. And I do know what I'm talking about in most occasions.

15. Chris_the_jedi

Chris_the_jedi Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2002
    ill say this

many years ago when the ccg first came out i bought the two player starter set at wallmart,tried to play and never could figure out how,even recently.I never could figure out why cause i could play many other games quite well(pokemon,m:tg,dbz,etc...)but never the swccg.Not to say its a bad game but its just not my thing,when it is released i will proudly support and actively play the tcg and i think there is more than enough common ground for the old school ccgers and new school tcgers to stand on as star wars fans in general.

to summ it up in a couple words:peace yall

16. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    Bubba, Bubba, Bubba ...

Take your own advice: Let it go. :)

17. Bubba_the_Genius

Mar 19, 2002
    Let go of what? The expectation that a member can ask about TCG websites without getting needlessly bothered by a CCG fan?

Is that HONESTLY too much to ask of the CCG fans?

18. Kenix Kil

Feb 7, 2000
    The let go comment is coming from the man who did a review of the TCG and basically said, "this is different from the CCG" that doesnt make a game bad.

19. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    I've sent you a Private Message.

And I suggest if you have a beef with Bib, or any other individual member of this board, take it up with them privately. We don't need a whole thread on how you don't like Bib's attitude.

20. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    Yeah, really!

Most of us have agreed to disagree, but this thread is about "I'm right and you're wrong! Quit acting like babies and love this new game!" Even the most hardcore TCGers don't have that opinion. It's people like you, Bubba, that are keeping this whole thing an issue, not Bib. He just gives his opinion... a rather harsh and biased opinion, but it's his right to keep that opinion, so let him.

21. Ocelot_X

Ocelot_X Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2001
    Nobody should expect someone to listen when you tell them to stop expressing their opinion any more than you should expect them to stop having that opinion. Because that's basically what it sounds like is being said. "We don't want other people to not like the TCG, but we'll settle for them not saying so." Bib's not breaking any forum rules with his comments so you can't make him shut up, so he can't really be expected to stop. Just like the TCGers can't be expected to stop trying to get him to stop. ;)

I think that's all that really needs to be said here. Say what you want; don't break the rules. It's what we all do, I don't understand why some people are shocked that others do it too.

22. Darksbane

Darksbane Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 9, 2002
    What is it, pile on Bubba time? Really, is it that horrible for him to ask that if you can't at least give reasons why you hate something then just be quiet? God forbid that someone request that people act civil on these message boards because that would stifle their "opinion".

23. Bubba_the_Genius

Mar 19, 2002
    Yeah, really!

Most of us have agreed to disagree, but this thread is about "I'm right and you're wrong! Quit acting like babies and love this new game!" Even the most hardcore TCGers don't have that opinion. It's people like you, Bubba, that are keeping this whole thing an issue, not Bib. He just gives his opinion... a rather harsh and biased opinion, but it's his right to keep that opinion, so let him.

No, Dude, this thread is NOT about convincing CCG'ers to "love this new game". It is about convincing CCG'ers to ALLOW OTHERS to enjoy the game in relative peace.

My earlier statement bears repeating:

I'm not trying to pursuade you or any other Decipher purists to agree to any of the following statements:

* The TCG is better than the CCG.
    * The TCG is on par with the CCG.
    * The TCG is an enjoyable game.
    * The TCG is at least worth an honest, open-minded examination.

THIS is the only idea I'm trying to get across:

* Comments like your two posts in this very thread are COMPLETELY useless.

It's a simple idea, and the BARE MINIMUM of ideas that must be accepted so that CCG fans and TCG fans can peacefully coexist.

This isn't about suppressing anyone's opinion, either. This is a request to show a little bit of restraint and civility.

Once again, in "looking for SWTCG web sites", a new forum member simply asked about TCG websites. For that, Bib Fortuna immediately replied, "Why would you want to do anything related to SWTCG?"

(The comment was posted Saturday. I don't think criticizing it on Sunday and Monday morning is "keeping this whole thing an issue".)

First of all, Fortuna's comment was not much of an actual opinion: it was simply interrupting a thread to harass people who have an opinion different from his own. And, second, there's ALREADY plenty of threads in which Fortuna can express his opinion, as he already has in the still-popular "The Official SW:TCG Support Poll" thread.

If you guys will notice, when he expressed his opinion in THAT thread, I didn't ask him to shut up - I ENGAGED him in the discussion, under the moniker "Achtung_Bubba." There have been others who have expressed a similar dislike in the same thread, and I have no problem with them at all.

MY PROBLEM is with the unnecessary, uncivil, and simply rude interruption of SWTCG threads that have nothing to do with whether people like the game. This is a brand-new game and there are going to PLENTY of related threads, covering topics like what cards to seek out, deck-building strategies, where to find other players, tournaments, and where to find TCG websites.

I don't believe it's too much to ask that THOSE threads be free of random comments from the CCG fans, comments that say little more than the game sucks.

24. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Bubba,

I understand perfectly what your issue is. It's not about the game, it's about one person's attitude.

You've made your point. It's time for this thread to end.

25. Kenix Kil

Feb 7, 2000
    Gee the thread should end because one person doesnt like a guy not saying bad things about the CCG? Maybe you shouldnt condem his opinion because you dont agree with it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.