main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LET IT BEGIN Metroid Prime Hunters and Tetris DS online battle royals

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Soontir-Fel, Mar 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    MARCH 20TH....

METROID PRIME HUNTERS

Kick ass video

[image=http://dsmedia.ign.com/ds/image/article/691/691796/metroid-prime-hunters-20060227003814484.jpg]

[image=http://dsmedia.ign.com/ds/image/article/685/685692/metroid-prime-hunters-20060203055627756.jpg]

[image=http://dsmedia.ign.com/ds/image/article/685/685692/metroid-prime-hunters-20060203055641755.jpg]

Experience the ferocious first-person action of the Metroid Prime universe on the Nintendo DS, Metroid Prime Hunters. Hone your skills against a slew of enemies in single-player training modes like Regulator, Survival and Morph Ball, then put them to the test when you compete in Death Match arenas with your friends over a wireless connection. Multiple control schemes take full advantage of the DS touch screen, giving all gamers an ideal way to play. With voice chat and bots over local connections.

IMPRESSIONS

From Zachstroum.com
    "For one thing, there�s no auto-aim. So unlike the Gamecube version, you can�t lock onto enemies and fire. You have to do it the old school way. Second of all, the enemies move around�a lot. You can�t hold still and fire at them or you�re a dead man (woman?).

The first level�s got a few nasty surprises. All of which are designed to get you more used to the control scheme and play mechanics. But I was pretty stressed out by the end. Ghost Recon aside, it�s been a while since I�ve had to replay an early level several times to get the hang of it."

Penny Arcade
    " I said that I would discuss Metroid: Hunters, and I will, but if you're interested in nut slash bolt information, I'd recommend you check out Jeremy's write-up here. I'm not very good at making previews, I'm afraid - but I can tell you if a game is fun or not. This one is. If you would like to know how it plays, cast your consciousness backward in time, and imagine this alteration to the world you know: that Nintendo approached id Software in 1994 with the rights to Metroid. Instead of Quake, with its mushmouth dimension hops and nonsense, Samus Aran and a catalog of rival bounty hunters put that technology showcase through its paces.

When I say the game isn't very Nintendo, this is what I mean: it is a balls-out paean to skill-based, PC deathmatch. I don't understand what it is doing on the DS. No auto-aim, no lock-on. It is not a party game tarted up with go karts or some ****. You do not bury fruit in Metroid: Hunters. It is, for some reason, a portable, online capable shooter on Nintendo's defiant, two screen mutant handheld. The real alteration to the old formula is the addition of "alt modes," like Samus' morph ball. Every character has an alternate form with its own (sometimes) strange function: laser tripmines, a turret, all kinds of weird crap.

If you have played any Mario Kart DS, you know that it can be difficult to settle on a hand position that is not excruciating after awhile. You may find that here as well, at least initially. There are several control options you can use, and settings to tune them further. The one I settled on was called "Dual Mode," one that features no stylus input: the four button quad on your right handles all look functions. It works surprisingly well. It's not what I think of when I picture the DS, and the sometimes unorthodox gamers that are drawn to the system don't seem like a good match for an unapologetic FPS experience. The renaissance gamer for whom the DS is part of a larger collection may well find something to adore. "

TETRIS

[image=http://www.gamerankings.com/screens5/930648/1.jpg]

[image=http://www.gamerankings.com/screens5/930648/6.jpg]

[image=http://www.gamerankings.com/screens5/930648/9.jpg]

IGN review 9.0.

Each of the six modes of play features a theme based on a classic Nintendo game, such as Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda or Metroid. The traditional Tetriminos (falling blocks)

2. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    UK realease dates?

I NEED RELEASE DATES......

3. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Release dates? In the UK?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Good one.

Reminds me, mods? Edit the first post to say release dates March 20th.

4. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ...yes, release dates are March 20th, but every place i've called says to look for it on the 21st (the old "release date is actually ship date" deal).

I am so stoked for Metroid.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm looking forward to both of these a great deal- some of the new modes for Tetris sound really bitching, and Hunters should be pretty sweet.

6. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Did you just say "bitchin'"?

[face_laugh]

1985 called...

;)

Sorry. Couldn't resist :p

I say it too :D

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    o_O That phrase has not fallen out of popular use in my experience.

Now, had I said "gnarly", you might have a case.

And if you wish to make an issue on my occasional use of "groovy", well I have a friend who'd like to speak to you- you can find him working in the sporting goods section at S-Mart.

[image=http://home.swipnet.se/~w-12947/Gfx/AoD/army12.jpg] [image=http://www.evildeadites.homestead.com/files/boomstick.jpg]

;)

8. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    They shop smart.

9. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

If Armies of Dead is so classic, why hasn't Campell made more movies?

10. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Yeah, all movies should have dozens of sequels! What the hell is up with this Citizen Kane crap? One movie? SUCKS!!!

11. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    Our world was not ready for the greatness that is Bruce Campbell.

Only the lucky few possess the faculties to fully appreciate his talents.

12. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    How exactly does multiplayer tetris work?

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There's several modes- there's a basic competitive mode, but another that I find more interesting seems to be something closer to a sorta reverse tug-o-war- trying to push the bottom of your stack onto the opponent's side by clearing lines.

14. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

How will this double screen work, gameplay-wise?

15. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Which game?

16. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Lets say Hunters. What purpose does each screen butler for you?

17. SkyeLightrider

SkyeLightrider Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 12, 2003
    Top screen is the visor, just like in the Prime subseries.

Bottom screen is your radar, as well as weapon selection and the "mousepad" for aiming (if you choose to use that control scheme)

18. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    ..well, i picked up my copy of Hunters, this morning..

Didn't have a whole lot of time to play it, but i did manage to defeat my first hunter and make it to the first boss in Adventure mode.

Probably won't be able to try out the online aspect until this weekend, but i'll definitely post my friend code once i have it! We're gonna have to get some tf.net games going! Find how who the PRIME HUNTER is....

19. SkyeLightrider

Jan 12, 2003
    I bought Tetris DS. Fun as heck, but that's expected. it's TETRIS!

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Picked both up today- the new Tetris modes are pretty fun (especially the push and tower-sliding ones). Got killed when I tried online play, though I did ok in Push Mode. Hunters is very sweet- I beat the first boss, and I'll probably fire up the wifi later tonight. I'm also glad Hunters utilizes the DS Rumble Pak as well.

21. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Friend codes people. Otherwise how we gonna play each other?

22. SkyeLightrider

Jan 12, 2003
    Yet you don't post yours Soontir

mine for Tetris DS is

23. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    You silly fool, I have no money for games.

/cries silently to self.

24. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    My Tetris DS friend code:

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    My Tetris DS friend code:

Where do you find your friend code for Metroid? It doesn't seem to be listed in any obvious place.

EDIT- Nevermind, you have to choose "add a friend code" to view yours.

My MPH code:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.