main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LET IT BEGIN Metroid Prime Hunters and Tetris DS online battle royals

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Soontir-Fel, Mar 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    For MPH:

You better believe i'm adding your code, Quest. I only really get online on weekends, though.

And the rest of you folks, go and get Metroid, already! The online (especially when you have 'friends' to be able to play all of the modes) is a ridiculous amount of fun.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Good, I have time to try and not lose 0-7 like on my first match ;)

3. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I was going to pick up Metroid, but no so sure. I'm not the greatest in FPS games and I'd be the guy who always dies :(

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Then we encourage you to buy it and play us ;)

5. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    I may end up getting Hunters, because I have a Wal-Mart $20 gift card to use. I'm not sure if I want to wait for Worms instead, though.

Opinions?

6. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    Ha, you and me both. When i first tried logging into just a random deathmatch, I was destroyed. Especially when it's one on one. When there's more then 2 of us in a game, i seem to have better luck (still haven't finished 1st, though), but when it's me vs. someone else, mono-e-mono, i just get owned. At first it just seemed like I would shoot and shoot and shoot and shoot someone, and they would turn around, take 3 shots and i'd be dead.

I'm starting to figure out the way the game is played now, though. Seems as if most people don't even THINK about attempting to engage you in combat until they've completely maxed out their health at 199 (i had just been charging into battle at the starting level of 99).

I managed to land some friends off of the gamespot message board, though, and the real meat of the game is completely in the other game modes that you can only access thru your friend/rival network.

My favourite two games were Prime Hunter (where each player has a countdown clock of 2 minutes. The first player to get a kill is designated the PRIME HUNTER, and so long as you're the prime hunter, your clock will countdown.. If you get killed, the person who kills you becomes the PRIME HUNTER, and THEIR countdown clock starts going. Goal of the game is to be the first person to get their Prime Hunter clock to count all the way down), and this capture-the-flag sorta game where the goal is for you to grab an Ocolith (basically a flag) and get it back to your ship, while avoiding all of the other Hunters (I actually won that game!)

Two favourite Hunters so far are Spire and Weevil. I still have one left to unlock, though. (I had unlocked Spire, Weevil, Sylux and Kanden thru the single player game. Last night, I beat someone who was using Trace, and thus unlocked him, too. That's a pretty neat addition to the game).

7. SkyeLightrider

SkyeLightrider Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 12, 2003
    Got Metroid Prime Hunters.

Friend Code:

Username: Skye (yeah Quest I changed from Zero)

BTW Quest and Drew, your codes are entered.

8. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    I'll enter your's as soon as i can (at work right now. Probably frown on me pulling out my DS :p )

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Moreso than the fact that you bring your DS to work? [face_mischief]

10. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    ...haha :p

You never know when you're gonna have a free 15 minutes to get in some gaming :p

(Though, man, i really mucked up THIS weekend. I finally have time to get online for some Metroid, and i completely forgot my USB Wifi connector thingy in my desk at work. D'oh! :p )

11. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Hunters, hands down. I believe it's better designed than the original Metroid Prime and think it's the first game that feels specifically designed for the Nintendo DS from the ground up (since it was).

12. SkyeLightrider

SkyeLightrider Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 12, 2003
    Well, I played a few rounds of multiplayer... I got spanked.

7 kill limit. score 0-7 against, every time.

:[face_sigh]: I stink at multiplayer. I dunno, this Metroid is leaving me a bit disappointed. Granted I was a little dumb buying it right out knowing it was mostly multiplayer (I rarely play multiplayer, I'm more a casual gamer) but I thought the single-player would be cooler.

maybe it's just the controls. I use the stylus to aim and it works okay, but holding the DS cramps my hands badly. maybe I could try the thumb pad.

[shrugs] oh well. I'll beat the single player, but I much prefer the GCN prime series. and Super Metroid. mmmmm Super Metroid....

13. skywalker001

skywalker001 Jedi Youngling

Nov 27, 2005
    My name is Live4Jesus and my tetris code is 012329

14. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    ...see, i'm finding i'm starting to really enjoy the multiplayer of Metroid...

I played the Single Player for about a week, on and off, and got the point where i had unlocked 4 of the 6 Hunters for multiplayer, but then i just got a bit bored with it.. Since then, i've been using the game for the multiplayer, and i'm actually starting to have alot of fun with it.

This evening, i finally beat a Noxus user, so now i do have all of the Hunters available. I also had my first 7-0 win against some poor schmoe who i'd imagine was playing for the first time.

Don't worry, though, cause then i went up against some 3-star maniac who totally spanked me for 3 straight rounds :p

15. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    ...ha, slowly but surely getting good online at Metroid... Earned my second star, this evening..

My Hunter of Choice is Weavel (mostly cause everyone online seems to hate him, and you almost NEVER see anyone using him). I've won something like 12 matches in a row, now. The only two players to beat me in the past day and a half (i haven't been playing THE WHOLE TIME :p) are a Noxus user who was BLOODY good with his freeze shot, and another Weavel user (and we had quite the titanic struggle :p )

I don't understand why so many people hate Weavel online. His attributes just fit my fighting style SO well!

16. ShiriKeiCelisoe

ShiriKeiCelisoe Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 8, 2002
    Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I just got Tetris yesterday. I haven't played it online yet and the only friend code that I have is my brother's.

It's been a very long time since I have played Tetris because I can't seem to clear 200 lines. :oops: [face_laugh]

I have been getting angry and frustrated with myself because of this. But if anyone would like my friend code, let me know.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It took me awhile to get to 200 lines myself but I finally got there. Go ahead and post your code- I won't be playing today but maybe I can catch you on sometime.

18. ShiriKeiCelisoe

Jan 8, 2002
    I just beat 200 lines like 5 minutes ago. I was so happy that I put my DS on my desk and just fell to the floor. My brother asked me if I was alright. [face_laugh]

My friend code is:

19. ShiriKeiCelisoe

Jan 8, 2002
    I know this is a double post and I'm sorry. :(

I beat my first online person yesterday afternoon. The person had 400+ wins. I had none, but I still kicked their butt. I was quite proud of myself when I beat them. [face_dancing]

20. Revan86

Revan86 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2006
    AVENGED SEVENFOLD LYRICS

"Bat Country"

"He who makes a beast out of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man"

Caught here in a fiery blaze, won't lose my will to stay.
    I tried to drive all through the night,
    the heat stroke ridden weather, the barren empty sights.
    No oasis here to see, the sand is singing deathless words to me.

[Chorus:]
    Can't you help me as I'm startin' to burn (all alone).
    Too many doses and I'm starting to get an attraction.
    My confidence is leaving me on my own (all alone).
    No one can save me and you know I don't want the attention.

As I adjust to my new sights the rarely tired lights will take me to new heights.
    My hand is on the trigger I'm ready to ignite.
    Tomorrow might not make it but everything's all right.
    Mental fiction, follow me; show me what it's like to be set free.

[Chorus]

So sorry you're not here I've been sane too long my vision's so unclear.
    Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem.

Caught here in a fiery blaze, won't lose my will to stay.
    These eyes won't see the same, after I flip today.

Sometimes I don't know why we'd rather live than die,
    we look up towards the sky for answers to our lives.
    We may get some solutions but most just pass us by,
    don't want your absolution cause I can't make it right.
    I'll make a beast out of myself, gets rid of all the pain of being a man.

[Chorus]

So sorry you're not here I've been sane too long my vision's so unclear.
    Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem.
    I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart.
    Scared but you can follow me I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.
    [face_skull]

21. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    OH MY LORD METROID PRIME HUNTERS STARTED OFF LIEK FIER
    It's so much fun. And online is pure genious (for the fact that 8 games in I still had a 100% win average).

At least, that's what I said yesterday.

But Hooray! A brand spanking new Metroid Game! On a Portable Platform? OH MY YES PLZ.
    Sadly, the game instantly lost marks with me for the fact that it's a member of the Metroid Prime family, meaning it's an FPS. Boo. While Samus plays brilliantly to the role of FPS Heroine, I STILL prefer the original style, because that's just how I grew up with Samus, but still, the Prime games are always brilliant for the fact that that you could sit and play it for DAYS and only crack the surface of the game.

And Hunters has offered so much. Online play (which I can't be arsed to talk about again, lets just say that it's really really lovely), and an adventure that spans four planets in a solar system, pitting you against a number of rival bounty hunters, so lots to get your teeth into.

Or so I thought.
    Despite the promise of a more "free roaming" single player mode, Hunters feels really horribly restrictive and really not in the same spirit of the original games, nor the Prime games. It took me awhile to realize it, but everything I love about the Metroid games has been torn out of this game.

The Puzzles are now practically none existant, with the exception of a few Morph-ball based mazes and a few "search for all the hidden switches" instances, most of this is partly due to the fact that Samus's Varia suit seems to be... like, nerfed, the only suit upgrades you can get are the other hunter's weapons, and the only thing you ever end up using them for is opening new doors. Definately no where near as interesting as using grappling hooks, space jumps and perfectly timed leaps to search out suit upgrades and expansions. You can also use the Hunter's weapons to exploit weaknesses in other Hunters. Err... but that's about it.

The Enviroments, while limited by the size of the cart, still feel pretty big, but I really struggled finding secret little areas and niches, making the game feel even more limited. Also, when I first gathered that the game wanted me to find 8 different crystals, I was as excited as hell, thinking that I'd be able to go on a big romp across all the levels, however, in reality things are a little more forced than that. You wander around half the level, collect 3 shield keys, fight the boss, escape. Return a little later on with a new weapon, shoot a barrer, AND THEN the other half of the level opens up for the sole purpose of collecting another 3 keys, and fighting THE EXACT SAME BOSS (again and again and again, JESUS WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO CREATIVITY). Dissapointing.

Overall, it feels like most of what makes Metroid brilliant has been torn out, and replaced by a solid first person shooter adventure. Which is all well and good, but it's really not what I wanted out of a new Metroid game.

BRING BACK OLDSKOOL PLATFORM SAMUS PLZ NINTENDO.

22. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    Metroid Prime: Hunters is ALL about the multiplayer. I agree that the singleplayer experience is hugely disappointing. Some people have theorized that it was an afterthought, and i'd agree. The only reason i found to continue playing it was to unlock all 6 hunters for online play.

However, since you can also unlock hunters by beating other online players..Well, the second i had all 6 hunters unlocked i just haven't even touched the singleplayer experience.

The online is another issue, though. Most fun i've had playing an online FPS since i first started playing Counterstrike. The various alt-forms of the hunters really adds an intriguing dimsension to the whole ordeal (although it can be REALLY annoying when folks abuse Trace or Sylux's alt).

Having gotten used to massive 32 player rounds of Counterstrike, i thought i'd have trouble adjusting to the 4-player max limits of what the Nintendo Wifi online can handle, but it really hasnt' been the case.

And earning those ranking points can be darned addictive (i'm currently a 3 star Elite Hunter. Can't seem to make much progress beyond that, though.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.