main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Let It Snow - (Qui, Obi, vignette) answer to the Obi/Qui winter challenge.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jennifer_Lyn, Dec 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jennifer_Lyn

Jennifer_Lyn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    Title: Let It Snow
    Author(s): Jennifer_Lyn
    Timeframe: Obi-Wan is a teenager.
    Characters: Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan
    Genre: Vignette
    Summary: Obi-Wan's reluctance about explaining a discovery on their mission make Qui-Gon wonder about his Padawan's relationship with Siri Tachi.
    Notes: I don't know enough about Secrets of the Jedi to make the Obi/Siri information completely accurate, so I just made it work for me. Had some fun with one of my favorite holiday songs here as a bit of challenge to myself. you'll find them in italics throughout. Happy holidays!
    Disclaimer: Hi Uncle George! This is not the author you're looking for, move along!

"Oh, the weather outside is frightful, Master." Obi-Wan stood by the window, watching the snow swirl outside. Gusts of wind threw flakes against the transparisteel so rapidly that at times there was nothing more to see than a wall of white.

The teenager turned toward his Master, a furrow in his brow that Qui-Gon often worried would become a permanent fixture of the boy's features within a few years' time.

"Frightful, Padawan?" Qui-Gon chuckled, his Padawan's formality did at times border on the melodramatic. "It is but a storm and we're safely ensconced in this castle. I think you have little to worry about from wind and snow."

"Yes, Master. It just rages so violently outside. It's not often I've seen such a thing. I pity any creature caught in it." Obi-Wan's mind was still chewing over the events earlier that evening as well as those of the last month.

Qui-Gon lay on the floor, his towering frame stretched before a crackling fire. "Come and settle yourself, have some tea. I believe there are some of those berry scones you like over on the table."

"Thank you, Master. I think I would prefer to stay here for now, if it's alright." The slightly-built young man turned back toward the window, not expecting an argument from his Master and so was surprised when the elder man took him to task on his brooding.

"But the fire is so delightful, Obi-Wan." Qui-Gon argued, sitting up and crossing his legs to make room before the fire. "And since we've no place to go, come sit beside me and we shall discuss what you saw this evening. You have yet to tell me and I sense that it has something to do with the Castellan and these negotiations tomorrow."

"Well, as it doesn't show signs of stopping out there..." Obi-Wan's voice trailed off as he reluctantly turned his attention away from the blizzard and moved around the room, gathering a mug of tea and a small plate of scones that the kitchen staff of the castle had prepared for the Jedi.

"Glad you could join me here in the present, my Padawan." Qui-Gon grinned at him, coaxing a small smirk from his apprentice. Placing a packet of large grains on the hearth, he took a tool that sat next to the poker at the side of the hearth. It consisted of a black metal box with a long handle. Opening the lid, Qui-Gon dumped a few handfuls of the grain into it and began shaking it gently over the coals. "Now you've got your tea and I've brought some corn for popping from the kitchens. Tell me what you saw this evening."

"Yes, Master." Obi-Wan began, his obedience to his Master and respect for the man's wisdom outweighing any doubts he had about sharing his information. "I was walking through one of the western corridors when I heard two people laughing a little ahead of me. There was not supposed to be anyone there, so I crept up as quietly as I could to see if I could discern who it was."

"You were not spotted?" Qui-Gon quirked an eyebrow at his apprentice. The situation was delicate, their presence was only barely tolerated by their host. The Castellan of Chateau Briack was locked in a bitter struggle with his own brother over the custodianship of the small moon where their father had reigned before them. The Jedi had been called in to negotiate due to the moons proximity to Ilum. Control over the sector in the wrong hands would hamper the Jedi Order's regular activities there.

"No, Master," Obi-Wa

2. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    Thanks muchly for the PM :D

made Qui-Gon smile to think of what would have become of Obi-Wan if the Order had not chosen him. Paired with considerable diplomatic skills, some called it charm, Qui-Gon could see the young man as a highly successful con artist and cat burglar.

Pfft! If I didn't like the idea of sneaky obi so much, I think I'd curse you for your rabid unloading of plot bunnies at inopportune moments! :p

Awww! I loved the last few lines- that was such Qui-Gonnish attitude to jedi love and obi's reaction was completely true to him as well! =D=

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Absolutely beautiful! [face_love]

"The storms of life will pass in time, Obi-Wan." he reassured his Padawan. "Sometimes there is little we can do, except wait for tomorrow and let it snow."

"Let it snow, Master?" The idea was too simple, too easy, for Obi-Wan right now. To just let all of his thoughts drift with the wind was an enticing idea, but seemed to belittle the strong feelings he was experiencing. Yet, that was not the Jedi way and he knew it. Closing his eyes for a moment, he gave his pain and heartbreak to the Force and felt his heart lighten a little. Even if it was just for the evening, it would be a relief to release those burdens and gather the strength to work through them from a place of power when they returned.

"Yes, Padawan," Qui-Gon replied with a gentle smile. "Let it snow."

As lovely as always! =D=

4. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    This was really sweet and in character. I loved it

5. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    Ha! This was really top notch! I loved the way that you played with the snippets of the Christmas song (sorry, I can't think of the title 'Let it Snow'?) all the while crafting a very keen vignette. You're still the master of Obi-Wan characterization and yet I can also see the influence of some of your original work and the research that you've been dabbling in/obsessing about ;) for the past months.

Brilliant!

I loved this, "The storms of life will pass in time, Obi-Wan." he reassured his Padawan. "Sometimes there is little we can do, except wait for tomorrow and let it snow."

=D=

6. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    "The storms of life will pass in time, Obi-Wan." he reassured his Padawan. "Sometimes there is little we can do, except wait for tomorrow and let it snow."

Aww! Ingenious idea for a viggie, Jennifer! :D Not only did the story touch on the angsty topic of Obi-Wan's love for Siri - which was well done, by the way - but you included all the lyrics to Let It Snow! In order! With three "let it snows" at the end! ;)

Great job! Lovely challenge response! =D=

*dances off, humming*

7. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    "Frightful, Padawan?" Qui-Gon chuckled, his Padawan's formality did at times border on the melodramatic.

[face_laugh]

Lovely m'dear - great job with this! Wonderful to see you writing these two again.:D

Beautiful descriptions and enough mush to keep me happy!

Bravo =D=

8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I must agree, this is terribly delightful. The use of the song lines kept me smiling.

Fabulous line!

9. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    That was a cool way of using song lyrics in a story. Poor Obi-Wan, to feel so strongly and yet know he couldn't feel that way, that it wasn't allowed.

Good job with this.

10. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    Ooh i'm loving this Obi/Qui vignette[face_mischief] [face_skull]

It made me laugh when Qui Gon considered Obi could have had a criminal life if he wouldnt have been found by the jedi [face_laugh]

It was really cute how u used xmas songs lines as part of the story...very fitting for the holidays =D=

Tnx so much for the pm :D [:D]

[face_peace]

11. Jennifer_Lyn

Jennifer_Lyn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    Stella: you know this is all just part of my evil plot to overrun you with bunnies until you actually write something, right? :p glad you enjoyed it!

Vadey: thanks, ma'am. your replies always give me a smile!

Valairy_Scot: thank you so much! I love writing Obi and Qui and truly appreciate it when my work is well received.

oqidaun: heh. thanks. [face_blush] the castellan stuff comes rather naturally now.

Nienna: never used to like the Obi/Siri pairing, but the fact that it ended so tragically draws me to it now. so glad you liked it!

Kes: hi! thanks for your kind words, hon. it felt good to write these two after such a long break!

Leona:
    thank you so much! seems to be many folks' favorite line and it was a pleasure to write this.

dianethx: thanks! i figured i needed to add an extra layer to the story to tie it into the challenge and that song just worked.

Veloz: :oops: i have to stop using that slash as it can get misinterpreted. that Obi as cat burglar idea just kinda showed up, made me laugh, too as i could really picture it. thanks for reading!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.