main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Let Kenobi Be Kenobi

Discussion in 'Archive: Cleveland, OH' started by Krash, Jul 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    "If we're going to walk into walls I want us running into them full speed. We're going to lose some of these battles, and we might even lose the White House, but we're not going to be threatened by issues. We're going to bring 'em front and center. We're going to raise the level of public debate in this country, and let that be our legacy." - Leo McGarry

I got this from one of my favorite episodes of "The West Wing" titled Let Bartlet Be Bartlet While it's based on White House politics, I think it says alot about what a group like ours can do in this area. We've talked about doing all kinds of community service and possibly fundraising events for ourselves. And in terms of getting out in the public (where other SW fans might find out about us) this is how you do it...by getting out in public!

I've got info on a couple possible ideas:

*American Heart Association "Heart Walk" (9/18)
    *London Symphony Orchestra Concert (9/19)...this one has to be for members of Rebel Legion and Ohio Garrison ONLY, but you get the point!
    *BOWL FOR KIDS' SAKE 2005 (oh boy, do I have an idea for this one!)
    *Episode III opening day! (see above...more on this later)

Anyone who hears about other kinds of events we can volunteer with...don't hesitate to mention them! Most of these aren't going to take a huge turnout for, sometimes a group of 4-5 can be enough. And for you JEDI who need experience that looks good on college applications OR resumes...these are good things to have participated in ("if you take my meaning sir" ;) ) All this is on our website, and as more details come forward, i'll post then in "EVENT PLANNING"

Time to "Let Kenobi Be Kenobi"

2. JediKnightPasJoDacle

JediKnightPasJoDacle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2002
    getting out in the public

Eeck! You mean leave the safety of our basements?
    [image=http://www.onlinexpress.net/pic/eek.jpg]

3. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    Yes, we're going to have to be brave and face the outside world. Alot of other Fanforces do stuff (Indy Knights recently worked a booth at the Indy 500 race) in their community.

Cleveland Air Show is sending me a couple copies of a form they use, including what kinds of stuff there is to do. IF it includes free(or cheap) admission to the air show...it's worth doing something!

4. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    :p I guess no one sees the pattern with Let Kenobi be Kenobi other then helpers of the POTUS!!! :D

All those ideas seem like great ideas...my tennis team worked at the air show in Cleveland last year...so other things like that would be cool!!

5. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    Ok, most of us have heard about the LSO concert (Kim is "General" for this project) but I have an invite for another event that same weekend. This one doesn't require membership in RL or OG...but anyone from those groups are welcomed to join us.

American Heart Association - Heart Walk
    Saturday, September 18, 2004
    The University of Akron ? Athletic Field House

Here's a list of some jobs they need volunteers for:
    * Set-Up: 7:00 a.m.
    * Greeters: 8:00-9:30 a.m.
    * Finish-Line Greeters: 9:30-11:30 a.m.
    * Registration/Pledge Collection: 8:30-10:30 a.m.
    *Coffee Distribution: 8:30 a.m.
    *Pick-up and Deliveries of Food: 9:30 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
    *Drop-off and pick-up Water Station Volunteers along Course: 9:30 a.m. & 11:30 a.m.
    *Water Station Volunteer (4 stations, 3 people per station) : 9:30-11:00 a.m.
    *Distribution of Certificates: 9:30-11:30 a.m.
    *Distribution of Post Walk Food: 9:30-11:30 a.m.
    *Clean Up & Take Down: 11:00 a.m. - ?

I think "Water Station Volunteer" is the best one for us! And Julie (who I worked with on B4KS last year) saw what our dressing up in SW costumes could do for moral, and thinks it's a great idea. She'll have to run it by her office, but the option to either costume or go in JKOC shirts (or both) is out there.

I have the official sign up sheet, with room for 8 people! PM me with a phone number and e-mail address and I'll send it in!

AHA Heart Walk - Saturday, Sept 18th
    Krash (costume?)
    Padawan92
    ???

6. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    Also, Michael/Beltayn is participating with Ohio Garrison in the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Walk on October 9th in Cincinatti. I plan on donating to Michael, he came through HUGE for us on "Rebel Strike Team" (as did folks from Ohio Garrison) so it's time to cover the Imperial's wing on this one!

Beltayn doesn't post here, so check with him on our website forums. Maybe a bunch of us can chip in and make a bigger donation to Michael's efforts. I know many of us are struggling with "expendable income" at the moment...that's why pooling together (and some ideas I have for the August Meeting discussion) can make this easier!

Beltayn webpage

7. TK-P01

TK-P01 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 1, 2003
    Big Ficker (Lonewolf) is the primary contact for the JDRF walkathon, he is the team captian for the Ohio Garrison. For information on this even please vist the following tread on the Ohio Garrison Board: http://ohio501st.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=890

You can go to this link http://walk.jdrf.org/index.cfm which is for people people making donations and they can make a secure payment online for you. They just do the search for a particular walker and then donate. Click on "Support a walker."

You can join the team at: You can sign up as a member of the walk team at this address: http://walk.jdrf.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=extranet.personalpage&confirmid=85801915

EDIT by Krash: Link doesn't work...just opens another page of this topic. Can you try it again.

This is a very worthwhile cause, and we were a huge hit last year, and we appreciate your generosity to all team members.

8. gbonkers

gbonkers Jedi Youngling star 2

May 31, 2004
    The airshow sounds good...

or when Halloween comes along we can have a Hunted Death Star or something like that....

9. TK-P01

TK-P01 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 1, 2003
    If you just copy those links, and then paste them inot the adress bar on your browser, they will work just fine, don't know why clicking doesn't work :/

10. _-Reborn_Jedi-_

_-Reborn_Jedi-_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2002
    Krash (costume?)
    Padawan92
    Reborn_Jedi (costume?)

Hopefully I'll have my TIE costume done by then. Had a good time helping and participating in previous events, such as Bowl For Kid's Sake 2004, and wouldn't mind helping out again. Of course, this all is tentative, considering I could possibly be working that Saturday (my boss has me work weekends on the fly sometimes) or I could end up with a pile of homework, considering I'm starting college soon. I should be able to make it though!

And wow, tons of other events popping up! Not sure if I can make all these, but I'll definately try/help any way I can.

11. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    No problem Will, and you can ride with us down to Akron. We don't need a TON of people for this event (a couple more will be plenty) but there is nothing wrong with having more then 3-4 people. Wonder if any of our resident STORMTROOPERS are available that day? Cindy, we're on your home turf (Akron U)...and it would be good to have a couple JEDI as well.

Yeah, there's alot of event ideas being kicked around, so planning ahead of time allows more people to free up their schedules Saf to say, there will be plenty of things to discuss at the August meeting.

12. JarJarJedi

JarJarJedi Force Ghost star 6

Feb 6, 2001
    Athletic Field Building... Wait a sec, they are finally done with that thing? (I though that they were done at the end of the winter Semester, but nope, they were still working on it.

Well... there is a craft show that day (Mapleside Farms), but it starts at 10. I'll ask my mom if I can come, since I can't make it to the LSO event. :mad: (Damn carft show and wood booth that takes us an hour to take down... but the show is over at 6 on Sunday.)

I'll look into it.

All I have to say is that I'm glad that I don't have classes on Saturday because of events like this... it would be a pain in the butt to find a parking spot... and speaking of which, I probably wouldn't have to pay for parking (if you do have to). :D

13. Darthvaderocks06

Darthvaderocks06 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    Krash (costume?)
    Padawan92
    Reborn_Jedi (costume?)
    DVR

14. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    I'll call Julie and make sure she knows we have at least 1 group of 4. There are 2 water stations total, and other jobs to do...so no problem if we get a few more people. Also talked with Coyote, from Ohio Garrison, and he's agreed to be our "designated trooper" so all we need is a JEDI and we're in business!

Krash (costume?)
    Padawan92
    Reborn_Jedi (costume?)
    DVR
    Jade-Walker
    JarJarJedi
    Coyote850

15. JarJarJedi

Feb 6, 2001
    I'll be in costume if I come. (Still have to bug my sister to get off work. ;))

16. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    Just FYI, this thing will run from 9:30AM-11:30AM, we lost Kim because she didn't know it was in the morning. So everybody check your schedules...

AHA Heart Walk - Saturday, Sept 18th (9:30-11:30AM)
    Krash (costume?)
    Padawan92
    Reborn_Jedi (costume?)
    DVR
    JarJarJedi
    Coyote850 (trooper)
    BMack

17. JarJarJedi

Feb 6, 2001
    Schedules... thanks Geoff... gotta request off that weekend for the craft show... so I'll be off work... meaning if my mom has help, I'll be able to come. (must remember to bug sister on Friday morning when she comes to drop off Cassie...)

18. _-Reborn_Jedi-_

_-Reborn_Jedi-_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2002
    Update - Got an email today from Jennifer Potocnik of Bowl For Kid's Sake, cordially inviting me to a luncheon for the kickoff of B4KS 2005! I guess I recieved it due to me being involved in the last event, and I'm surprised they seem to be getting ready for 2K5 already. But anyways, if any of you other participants from last time didn't get the email, here's a copy:

Bowl For Kids' Sake

2005 Kick-Off Event

Big Brothers Big Sisters

of Greater Cleveland

Cordially invites you and a guest to join us for free food and fun!

Thursday, October 14th, 2004

at

CARRABBA's

ITALIAN GRILL

5030 Tiedeman Road

Brooklyn, OH 44144

(off I-480 at the Tiedeman Road exit)

Lunch

12:00 noon - 1:30 pm

Seating is limited, please RSVP by October 1st, 2004

EDIT by Krash: Removed phone number, no need to advertise a free lunch (just ask for it via PM)

Please feel free to send someone in your place if you are unable to attend.

Cool stuff, providing that Carabba's is just up the road from me :D Except I'd have to leave work to go to this thing, but no biggie. Sounds like a good time!

19. JarJarJedi

Feb 6, 2001
    Phoey, I have class until 12:35, I don't think I'll be able to go, considering it'll take me like a half an hour to get up there from campus.

20. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    Yeah, that's about the same time they had the kickoff luncheon at Carrabba's...good food BTW!

I'll be there, as a member of the PR committee and as a team captain (from last year). If this time-frame gives you any idea on how long I'd been kicking around the idea of putting a team together (I mentioned it at the Christmas party)...now ya know!

21. MasterOfPupets

MasterOfPupets Jedi Youngling

Aug 23, 2004
    About the AHA walk, I'll be a student at UofA come the 18th, and hopefully my new stormtrooper armor will be in by then (waiting on shipping of everything.) If it does and you still nedd someone, I can volunteer as another "Resident Trooper".

22. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    You're taking Stormtrooper into your dorm room?

That is insane. Welcome to theforce.net, Master. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you're a Metallica fan.

23. MasterOfPupets

Aug 23, 2004
    Yeah. Hard guess, huh?

And I'm gonna be living there for a few monthes, and just spent a cool grand on a costume, so I may as well find time to enjoy it. Besides, it seams most of the events I find are in Columbus, which is closer from my dorm room than from my home in Youngstown. We'll have to see though.

24. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    Sure, you can wear your armor at the AHA walk...PM me with your name/phone#/email to add to the registration form for AHA.

Alot of events are in Columbus, and (if you haven't already) you should contact Ramdac over at Ohio Garrison. We try and work with them as much as possible...and a few of us are members of all 3 groups (501st, Rebel Legion, JKOC). OG is cool about allowing people with armor to "troop" with them (even if they're not members) at conventions and such...and we're all about bringing SW fans from the area (including Youngstown) together!

25. MasterOfPupets

Aug 23, 2004
    Actually, I've already been in touch with them. My sister is the one getting me into this, and she's a member. I think she met some of you at a few events. Her name's Danielle (some of you came to the 4th of July Parade with her). I got the link to the site from an OG post, and thought I'd put up my interest (since I'll be there anyways). It's good to meet you all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.