main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Let me know what you think

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by Synth, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Synth

Synth Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2006
    I've been on it for a couple of months. Need some feed back:)

My first site

2. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    First off, "For the Fans, by the Fans" has been used on another website in the past (JediNet, maybe?).

Second... what is the focus of your site? Is it just general SW stuff?

Third, that rotating "Star Wars" animated .gif might look cool at first, but it really can get annoying. I'd stick with a simpler static image, preferably one with a transparent background to blend in on the page easier.

3. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    A few things to add to what Jeff has said:

1) The front page is way too cluttered. You don't need to have everything enabled on the front page, especially on a smaller site. Having all those various statistics down the left side shows how little traffic your site currently gets. That is likely to put people off since obviously the higher trafficked the site, the better and more reliable the information that it will hold. You don't need the calendar since it isn't showing anything to people, and they have their own computer info if they want to see what day it is. The "HyperWave Communication" I'm thinking is a chat thing? Get rid of it. It's something that is specific only for those that already know about it and use it, and having it on the front page really isn't needed as what that is all about is getting people to want to keep looking at the various sections of your site.

2) Think about the size of things that you use on the front page. Your side banner graffic is 134 pixels in width. Now, while on a monitor with a resolution of over 1000 it isn't too bit a deal, those who still view with an 800 will find it taking up nearly 20% of the page. Even on the higher resolutions, it skews the entire page to the right, making it look a bit off. Also, news stories on the front page do not need large images. You want people to go into the section of your site that carries the news, so you only need a sentance or two and maybe a thumbnail pic, but otherwise leave it all for the news area. Especially if you are going to put the image by itself without the text wrapping around it.

3) Sponsor stuff. If you have banners across the page, either centre them, or find some way to get them to fill the entire section no matter the screen resolution. It looks untidy otherwise. Also the scrolling sponsor section is completely annoying. Make it static and just have them listed either beneath each other, or if there are too many then randomly selected to appear.

4. Lord_Synth

Lord_Synth Jedi Youngling

Dec 3, 2005
    Just when you think your original:)

Pretty much right now. It all started with me just wanting to have pictures of my collectables for my own inventory purposes. That has expanded to FanFic, Collection Galleries, etc.

Thanks for reminding me:D

5. Synth

Synth Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2006
    Cleaned it up a bit, I actually like it:)

6. Patreektherodian

Patreektherodian Jedi Youngling

Jan 31, 2006
    Spamvertiser.

7. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Yes, you are being very rude.

If you want to advertise your website, create a new thread about it, don't spam other user's threads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.