main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST TLJ Trailers and TV Spots Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Nipuhanipera, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    It's going to be interesting. I mean what will basically equate to 15 months of production/post-production, just does not feel to me like they've been granted adequate time to hone and polish the film before release. Having another 6 months of breathing space to create will surely be a blessing to those involved.
    I say stick to one Star Wars film a year Disney..

Guidman likes this.
  2. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I feel like it is way to early even in December for the Han Solo movie but yeah the movie seems to be keeping its release date. I feel like we will get a Han solo tiny tiny teaser during TLJ but that might be to much so im not really sure.

Jaxxon- likes this.
  3. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Maybe HS will get a trailer before TLJ. Celebration will show HS trailer, no TLJ till later.. BIG TWIST!! :p

4. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Let's just say we had a film being released May this year. We've had the massively successful December film,and now it's all beginning to calm down 3 months into its run. Guess what folks!? You've got another feature coming in May! How do they work the promotion out for both films? Come March the May release then gets heavily pushed. I'm sorry but I think that's overkill

5. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    It's really not that hard, you go see The Last Jedi, and you get to see the trailer for Han Solo before the feature film. It's a teaser trailer, by then there really is no need to keep promoting The Last Jedi once December 15th comes, although, there will still be tv spots I'm sure.

Why is it so hard to accept that you could get two promotions at once for the Star Wars franchise. Star Wars fans and the general audience are not idiots, I mean, one trailer says May 2018, the other says December 2017, duh.

WHY would you NOT attach it to The Last Jedi?

6. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    How long will TLJ be showing in cinemas? Until the end of Feb I'd assume. Then three months later..
    Look, what I'm trying to say here, is if Disney are actually looking to go with two SW films per year? Then they'll have to come up with a clever marketing strategy, so as to not let the films inadvertently bump into each other during promotion..

7. AdamSkywalker

AdamSkywalker Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2014
    Is Ep9 still set for December of 2019? Or could they be releasing HS in May so that they can release Ep9 the following May?

8. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    I'm willing to start a keep it in December petition. There's something about the summer blockbuster season that encourages (and excuses) mediocrity, and so I hope they stick to the higher-standard winter schedule.

9. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    IX is staying in December for continuity sake. Season change can affect the boxoffice and SW is doing stellar during holidays when competition is less than in summer but legs are longer. That's why I'm not sold on HS staying in May either, unless they are prepping for inevitable more-than-one-SW-movie in the future. So lock May spot (spin offs) and lock December spot (Episodes).

DaddlerTheDalek and Gigoran Monk like this.
  10. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    Jcuk If the film is released in May 2018, then we currently have 15 months to go. I think that timetable is comparable with Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight, which began principal photography in April 2007 for a July 2008 release[face_dunno]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Knight_(film)#Filming

But then I guess that depends on whether you like The Dark Knight:p

Jcuk and ThreeDeathstickProblem like this.
  11. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who like the Dark Knight, and those who haven't yet seen it.

12. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I hope SWCO gives us a decent amount of TLJ content. Fine, they want to keep the secrets hidden and so on, but the movie is pretty much completed. There is a cut, music conducted for it... Surely there will be reshots, but even with that I believe the teaser should be generous in terms of content.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  13. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    Since the title was released its been a confuse a tron.
    The internet exploded with theories regarding Luke as being the "last" jedi, then we find out its plural so basically kylo and snoke as we found out from TFA are not sith and then add that to the speculation that theres not really a jedi way or a sith way or thats theres other "ways" but the very first trailer snoke asks ..."the dark...and the light"...so there is a light side and a dark side as opposed to one force and theres no light and dark according to the bendu on Rebels. Then you have the Oh Luke aint training any more jedi camp and rey is lke a new kind of jedi but not a jedi camp..Then we have the oh by the way the jedi term is plural from LFL. Then we hear of Leias expanded role....so how do you wrap up leias character a la Fast Furious style? I fully expected her to make her arc as jedi twin of luke skywalker that we never got to see in the OT but can they go with that if her character cant appear in episode 9?.....and thats just over a single concept of force/luke/jedi.

This ping pong theorum thats being going on as of late.....im so all over the place i just wanted to thank you all for making episode 8 as much of a mystery as ever. I havent the foggiest bloodiest idea of what to expect for episode 8 - I expect the trailer to confuse me even furthur.....but more realistically i expect i will find myself uttering..."oh...i didnt see that coming....thats an interesting direction" .....Whatever the voice over story is...i bet its gonna be a doozy.
    I sure wish the trailer would pop out now!!!!

Mostly Handless likes this.
  14. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    There are??[face_hypnotized]

15. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    Grilled Hutt I suspect 'The Last Jedi' is referring to Luke and Rey. Obviously by the time the film comes out, people will have overthought that so much that they will be surprised when this turns out to be the case:p

16. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998

EP9 is still at May 24, 2019 according to what Disney released last April. They have another live-action version of a Disney animated movie set for the December date. In 2018 Han Solo is still set for May 25 as Disney has Merry Poppins Returns set for Christmas Day. All of that could change, but Disney is slotting their big live action remakes in December for the foreseeable future, and after Beauty & the Beast makes a billion in March they're going to really go for the Christmas family cash even bigger than before.

I wouldn't be shocked if the December 2019 remake is the Little Mermaid one as 2019 is the 30th anniversary.

17. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Releasing some tentpole films by the same company, in the same month, isn't unheard of. (Usually one is released first week and the other the last week).

But Avengers 4 and Episode IX are going to be Disney's biggest tentpole movies of 2019. Would they really release them so close together?

18. ManaByte

Aug 20, 1998

Because Marvel movies, even Avengers, always fall off by the 3rd weekend. DISNEY IS WELL AWARE OF THIS (which is why Guardians 2 and Pirates 5 both come out this May). If Avengers can manage to hold on in week 3, which hasn't happened yet, and then falls off to #2 in week 4 when Star Wars releases then they'd be #1 at the box office through June when their next animated movie hits.

I think Disney's eventual goal is to dominate the #1 box office spot for nearly the entire year beginning in May with Marvel/Star Wars and then continuing through the rest of the year with an animated movie in June/July, a big live-action remake in August/Sept, another Marvel in November, and then a huge family live action remake in December.

19. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013

I think the May 2019 is still set from the very original release dates when Disney bought SW. They were going to release them in May of 2015, 2017, and 2019. They changed the release date for TFA in November 2013 (needed more time) and for TLJ in December 2015 (for obvious reasons-success of TFA). They probably haven't officially changed the date for Ep9. Still hashing out their schedule. Mulan is coming out in 2018 I think. They have hesitated with Little Mermaid but I don't see why they don't release that in the spring of 2019 or 2020. They have said they need more time to work the technology because it's quite an undertaking. The December 2019 is probably a place holder without a title. I have NO doubt Episode 9 will be released in December 2019. None at all.

20. ManaByte

Aug 20, 1998

Disney's 2018 dates:

February 16: Black Panther
    March 9: Wreck it Ralph 2
    April 6: Wrinkle in Time
    May 4: Avengers
    May 25: Han Solo
    June 15: Incredibles 2
    July 6: Ant Man and the Wasp
    August 3: Untitled Live Action Film
    November 2: Mulan
    November 21: Gigantic
    December 21: Animated Spider-Man (Sony Release, but Marvel involvement)
    December 25: Merry Poppins Returns

Disney 2019:

March 8: Captain Marvel
    March 29: Pinocchio
    April 12: Untitled ToonStudios film
    May 3: Avengers
    May 24: Episode IX
    June 21: Toy Story 4
    July 19: Indy 5
    November 8: Snow White
    November 27: Untitled Walt Disney Animation Studios film
    December 20: Genies (Live-Action Aladdin)

21. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    But if TLJ overshoots TFA's 1 billion plus, you don't think they'll consider keeping Episode IX in December?

22. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    I think they're going to hold to the switch back to May Star Wars releases. For one thing, there's only so many theaters, and they're all super expensive. Which is OK for the studio, and the picture is superior and all that. But late spring and summer releases includes Drive-In theaters, which are substantially cheaper and within the budget of middle and lower income families. My family has stretched resources to make Star Wars movies remotely affordable for us (we're a family of 8 when the kids are all here; that gets expensive!!), most other movies for us are second run or Drive-In only. And while the price per ticket going to the studios is lower, there are probably 4 times as many people in front of a drive in screen as an indoor one. These are packed for the big releases all summer and are really the only way anyone not fairly well to do is taking the whole family to the movies. I think Disney would rather get this money in early as opposed to later with the second-run theaters; and with movies like Star Wars, second run theaters will be fairly well packed regardless with fans who want to see it again. With this in mind, I feel Episode 9 will not only be kept returning to May, but has strong potential to outperform The Force Awakens at the box office...provided The Last Jedi is as fantastic as we are all hoping and keeps the casual Star Wars fans rabid to see the conclusion!

23. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    ManaByte

I know this is a bit off topic but some of those upcoming movies should be consider crimes against humanity. CinemaSins said it best, someone needs to stop these people from themselves before they destroy everything.

And I still think Han Solo could get move to December 2018, Mary Poppins return or not *gags*

Back on topic, who picked February 27th as the teaser trailer release date?

24. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Avengers, SW and Indy all in the same summer? Certainly they can move Aladdin to the spring 2020 and replace it with SW in December. That's logical.

25. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

I bet dollar to donuts that is exactly what happens. Episode IX will go to December while the Aladdin live action film (again *gags*) will get a new release date. Releasing Episode IX a few weeks after Avengers IV (which will be the conclusion to the Infinity Wars) is just insane. You are literally eating your own screen space.

And Indy 5 isn't off the ground yet. I can see that getting move too.

cerealbox likes this.