main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Let's all watch Aliens..

Discussion in 'Community' started by Healer_Leona , Feb 16, 2013.

1. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    First two done, onto the 3rd!

2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    If it's seventeen days, what's the point of a hypersleep chamber? If it's relativistic travel, then that makes no sense at all. Not that I really care. Also, Newt had access to food I think. By malnourished they probably meant she might have been getting a bit vitamin deficient from an unvaried diet of freeze dried food/emergency rations.

3. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    My own soft spot is for Alien3.

David Fincher was able to polish a turd into...something less turdish. :p

R2-DK likes this.
  4. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    They play around with it a bit. In Alien, Lambert says LV-426 is approximately 10 months away from Earth.

However....Aliens takes place 50 years after the first movie and technology has moved up several notches. (though still not to the level as Prometheus-era technology....which begs the question...what happened in between Prometheus and Alien to create such a downtrend? WWIII?)

I'd wager that the reason the marines are in cryosleep has to do with efficiency. Stick them in a tube and slow down their metabolisms to near-dead....three weeks worth of boredom and provisions are thus eliminated.

EDIT -- This person cites the novel for 3 weeks....
    In the ‘Aliens’ novel Hicks and Hudson mention at various points that the trip between Earth and LV-426 takes 3 weeks. Hicks also mentions that the earliest rescue would be expected after 17 days (nearly 3 weeks). Possibly a rescue ship would be faster than a troop transport, or the rescue ship could be stationed a bit closer to LV-426.

EDIT II -- Also, when asking Google "How long was newt by herself?", be sure to add "in Aliens" to the end of it, or else you get the biography for Newt Gingrich's unwed mother....

RC-1991 and Jabbadabbado like this.
  5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I've only watched the Director's Cut of 3 which I thought was just ok. I fear what my reaction would be if I watched the theatrical cut.

6. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    It's not that bad. There are a few WTF moments, but its more than made up for by the actors.

Fincher really did save it from being complete rubbish.

At least until Aliens: Colonial Marines screws with it. Guess who
    Hicks. Apparently, Weyland Yutani agents kidnapped him and shoved someone else's dead body in his cryotube because they were psychic and knew that the body would be mangled beyond identification when it crashed on Fury 151.

Yah. Srsly.

7. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    That's.....quite possibly the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I wasn't planning on getting the game, but now I'm going to actively boycott its existence.

8. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    You and everyone who's read a review of it. :p

Darth_Invidious and Master_Jacen like this.
  9. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I thought the AVP game that came out a couple years ago was pretty terrible, but reviewers are saying that Colonial Marines makes it look like Legend of Zelda in comparison. That's a very very scary thing to say.

10. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    i've only been waiting for that game since they announced it. i am so distraught by what has happened to it. rawwwwwwwgh it had such potential

11. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Well thankfully that's one mistake they've fixed that Alien 3 screwed up.

12. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
  13. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    Aliens, or Alien 2, is much more "shoot em up," much more of the "action" genre.

While Alien, the original, is the far superior of the films.

14. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    "You know, if I go on to make 10 great movies, this'll probably be looked upon as my first bungled masterpiece" --David Fincher on Alien 3, 1992

15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Alien 4 is watchable right up until the pirate capatin gets killed. *runs from the room*. And even then the underwater scene isn't bad either. *ducks, dodges*

16. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    The underwater part is okay. The part right after is what gets me. You know the scene. Christie on the ladder....he gets a bit of acid in his face. But it's not a lethal wound.

And then its like that little voice in the back of his head starts screaming "HEY WAIT IM A BLACK GUY IN AN ALIEN FRANCHISE MOVIE! THAT MEANS I NEED TO KILL MYSELF NOBLY SO I CAN SAVE THE WHITE WOMEN!"*** So he just unbuckles his harness and drowns himself.

For no good reason whatsoever.

*** see also, Parker in Alien who attacks the alien while trying to save Lambert....Dillon in Alien3 who voluntarily turns into an alien chew toy so Ripley could hit lead drop....and Janek in Prometheus who decides to ram the Engineer Derelict-type, but inadvertently crushes one of the women he was trying to save.

EDIT -- I mean sheesh of all the black dudes in the Alien franchise, the only one not in "save the white women" mode was Apone. And unfortunately he was one of the first to get captured and coccooned.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I remember watching the original Alien on Halloween my freshman year of high school. Ahhh those were the days.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
  19. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    SO....what did you think?

Veronica Cartright earned her pay on that day. :p You can see in the director's cut, when she jumps backwards, she slips down.

And...just for the heck of it...

Water, my ass! Bring this guy some Pepto Bismal!

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It's been a very long time since I saw these movies. Adding to my re-watch list.

I watched it on a double date at a guy's house my freshman year. Video games, Alien in the VCR, and hooking up later.

Those were the days indeed.

21. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    O, opinions.

Alien - [face_love] John Hurt. [face_love] John Hurt. [face_love] John Hurt. [face_love] John Hurt. [face_love]
    Aliens - Not as good of a film as the first, but more entertaining.
    Alien 3 - The **** did I just watch.

I'll watch the rest tonight.

Darth_Deception likes this.
  22. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    The thing that gets me about Alien 3 was they killed Newt just because the actress who played her got older. I saw someone online critiquing the Alien movies ask, why didn't it occur to the film makers to use some kind of technobabble explanation for that, like her cryotube malfunctioned, causing her to age slightly?

The Alien 3 producers also seemed to be working from a Viewers Are Morons mindset, because during production and someone asked how a facehugger got into the Sulaco, they were like, "The audience isn't going to care about that".

23. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    See now judging from his conversation with Ripley, it seemed to me that Bishop had smuggled it onboard during his absence.
    "It was with us the entire time."

Granted, that still doesn't explain how TWO facehuggers came out of just one egg....other than the "twin egg" fan theory where a queen facehugger egg would have a normal hugger and a Queen hugger (built and filmed, but cut from the final) so the adult drone would protect the queen.

Would have just been more plausible to simply have a pair of huggers fall from the dropship and scurry off into the bowels of the Sulaco.....
    But I guess that would have cost too much money for visual effects, so they went with a static prop egg.

24. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Well, when I heard that
    Michael Biehn
    was in it, I figured that that character would be alive somehow, so that whole revelation didn't "shock" me that much. I agree that it's dumb, but so was what happened in the start of Alien 3, imo. Personally, I think if they wanted that person, or any of the others on the Sulaco alive, they should have made the game an alternate canon from everything post-Aliens and not work in Alien 3.

You know what makes that video even funnier? Guess what one of the easter eggs is? [face_laugh]

Aytee-Aytee likes this.
  25. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    I always thought it would be DLC, like the Apone and Hudson skins available for multiplayer.

EDIT -- And apparently one of the game testers is speaking out. Or at least he did before deleting his Reddit account.
    Aliens: Colonial Marines was a scam from the get-go. All of the money slated for the project instead went to Borderlands 3.