main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Let's all watch Aliens..

Discussion in 'Community' started by Healer_Leona , Feb 16, 2013.

1. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Just finished Prometheus. Obviously the writing + character development was a problem, but I wasn't expecting anything on the level of Alien... so I thought it was great otherwise. But maybe that's because I just sat through Alien 3 + 4 the other day.

DarthTunick likes this.
  2. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    I remember seeing Prometheus at the drive in (yes, they still have those here :p ) with my younger brother, younger sister and her quasi-boyfriend. Think the very first thing any of us said afterwards was me going "Well, that just happened." I didn't hate it, but I didn't really care for it much either. I guess part of my issue was that I thought it would be an Alien prequel, not "prequel to Alien but doing it's own thing," if that makes sense.

3. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    I liked Prometheus. Did it answer my questions? No, but I wasn't promised all the answers. Heck watch Alien, that introduced tons of stuff that weren't answered until other movies.

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  4. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Yeah, we kind of were. Ridley "Questions Will Be Answered" Scott said so himself.

Not really. There were only two introductions that were explained in other movies; where the eggs came from and what the derelict was. Other than that, Alien was all self contained.

Prometheus was.....a two hour long teaser for Prometheus 2.

Plus, none of the characters made any damn sense.
    1. The presence of oxygen on the space jockey ship leads to everyone taking their helmets off. Hey geniuses, you know what else lives in oxygen? BACTERIA, VIRUSES, and other NASTY MICROBES THAT WILL ROYALLY **** UP YOUR LIFE. Perhaps Vickers should have torched them all just to be on the safe side.

2. So the biologist guy freaks out when he sees dead space jockeys. Yet...when he encounters a creepy looking alien vulva-cobra....he becomes enchanted with it and tries to handle it?

3. You find a severed alien humanoid head. So you take it back to your ship, plug some wires into it and pump it with electricity.....WHY? "I'll try to see if I can make it think its alive". What purpose does that serve?

5. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    I don't remember Ridley Scott saying Promehteus was going to answer all the questions we had. I always felt it was more of fans deciding that this was an alien prequel movie even though he constantly said it wasn't and it was the start of something new. And when fans found out it wasn't an alien prequel meant to answer their questions, but instead the start of a new franchise they were dissapointed.

As for what Alien introduced and failed to answer.
    1. What is that alien ship?
    2. Why is this alien ship full of eggs?
    3. Did that alien make those other aliens?
    4. What was that alien?
    5. Why is the company so interested in these aliens?

Yeah but that's something everyone in sci-fi does. Hollywood would never allow their characters to be in space suits that long. We should be happy they were in them at all and not just say 'hey the planet has oxygen we don't need space suits!' like all the characters in Aliens did.

Admittedly a dead body would freak me more out than a live animal. And the snake was kind of cute.

They are scientists. They do what they must, because the can. :p