main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Let's explain each of the Prequel titles

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by EternalStutter, Jan 6, 2015.

1. EternalStutter

EternalStutter Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2015
    Phantom Menace - I'm assuming its referring to either Darth Maul or Palpatine
    Attack of the Clones - This ones pretty boring...referring to the battle at the end or their inevitable turn on the jedis in Sith?
    Revenge of the Sith - Palpatine again? Maybe Anakin? Him seeking revenge on the Jedi?

Your take on it?

2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I think the first is Sidious

The second I agree is dull and it seems to be speaking of their 'betrayal'

The third seems to be both Sidious and Vader, though I think they had legitimate grievances with the Jedi as did Dooku.

3. Delta-7

Delta-7 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 24, 2002
    The Phantom Menace - The obvious answer is Palpatine, but might also refer to Anakin
    Attack of the Clones - (sidenote least favorite title of the saga so far) Means the Clones attack...maybe it can be seen as foreshadowing
    Revenge of the Sith - Palpatines revenge...although I would be really interested in learning more of the Canon Sith backstory now. Including the time that the Sith ruled the galaxy.

4. EternalStutter

EternalStutter Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2015
    Could the "Plapatine's revenge" refer to his one line in Phantom Menace? "We shall finally get our revenge" or something along the lines.

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The Phantom Menace refers to the Darkside starting to cloud the abilities of the Jedi.

6. Mindless Monster

Mindless Monster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 4, 2014
    The Phantom Menace - Is referring to the Sith pulling the strings behind the scenes, and that the real conflict is with them and not the Trade Federation.
    Attack of the Clones - Pretty self-explanatory, but so is The Empire Strikes Back. It's a fun b-movie title that sets up the tone of the film perfectly.
    Revenge of the Sith - Is referring to the Sith getting revenge for being driven to near extinction. I'd also like to add that it's a boring title and the least inventive of the Prequel Trilogy.

7. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    This.

"Hard to see, the dark side is."

Attack of the Clones - Quite straightforward and direct, just like The Empire Strikes Back. I don't think it had anything to do with Order 66. It's meant to recall the old sci-fi serials.

Revenge of the Sith- The Sith, as an order, take revenge. Not just Sidious. All of Palpatine's machinations culminate in the formation of the Empire and the near eradication of the Jedi.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  8. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    Yeah the titles are pretty self explanatory really. The only one up for debate is TPM. But it seems that Palpatine is the phantom menace. His character and actions fits the words in the title.

9. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    Phantom Menace: The Battle of Naboo was in truth inconsequential, because Sidious used the invasion to secure his election as the Supreme Chancellor. As Mace said to Yoda, "Which was destroyed, the master or the apprentice?"

Attack of the Clones: To save the Jedi on Genosis, the Clones attacked the CIS army. On a larger level, it foreshadows the real threat the clones would later pose. As Yoda said, "Victory you say? Master Obi-Wan, not victory. The shroud of the Dark Side has fallen. Begun the Clone War has."

Revenge of the Sith: After hiding for a millenium, the Sith have finally usurped the Jedi. Moreover, Sidious has won over the Chosen One, the person whom the Jedi believed would destroy the Sith menace. As Sidious said, "Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy."

10. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    I figured Lucas was trying to do a mirror version of the titling from the Original Trilogy, where it was Good-Bad-Good by having it be Bad-Good-Bad. More specifically,"The Phantom Menace" was an ambiguous reference to the villains we're about to meet while "A New Hope" was an ambiguous reference to Luke, and possibly the motley crew of heroes who help him in his journey. "Empire," "Clones" though the Episode II title was a little too straightforward in this case, I would have preferred a reference to the Republic, but I can't do anything about that. :p

enigmaticjedi likes this.
  11. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    Pretty simple I guess on the face of it:

'The Phantom Menace' - There is a evil menace in the galaxy who is unknown, nee: a phantom, and that has to be Darth Sidious.

'Attack Of The Clones' - The clone army attacks the CIS and begins the Clone War

'Revenge Of The Sith' - Darth Sidious, Sith Lord, takes revenge on the Republic and the Jedi finally and creates his Empire and Sith apprentice; Darth Vader.

Done. :)

12. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Ingram_I likes this.
  13. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    The titles are all very self-explanatory, but I do wish the films delved a bit further into why the Sith wanted revenge. Sure, we can assume the Jedi defeated them at some point in the past, but beyond that, we really don't know anything about their history, and I think it would have been a worthwhile backstory to include (and I'm not saying I wanted detailed flashbacks or anything, but just a nice little scene in which two characters talk about what transpired between the Jedi and Sith in the past, kind of like the scenes we got in Ben's hut in ANH, and on Dagobah in ROTJ, which fleshed out for the audience what happened with Anakin/Vader.)

Delta-7 likes this.
  14. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    to me The Phantom Menace can be taken different ways. The Trade Federation could be 'the phantom menace', meaning they aren't the True Menace.
    Or Sidious could be a 'phantom'
    Attack of the Clones, will it's a much discussed title.
    Revenge of the Sith refers to the revenge of the Sith Order more than one or two people .

15. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    The titles are all very self-explanatory,
    ------------

this, pretty much :p

Cushing's Admirer likes this.