main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Let's get it on!: The Mixed Martial Arts Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by ClarkWayne, Nov 16, 2006.

1. JediCouncilMember

JediCouncilMember Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2003
    Yeah, I think GSP takes it, he's just so good at game planning (as well as great all around skills) I'm not sure if he is going to make a mistake. I wouldn't might seeing an upset just to shake up the divison a bit, but then again if GSP wins we might eventually see a GSP vs. Anderson Silva match. =P~

Overall picks, I'll be taking Lesnar, GSP, Hendo.

I watched the Countdown show last night and Lesner was cracking me up with his comments about Mazigatti. The overall trash talking between Frank and Brock was also great! [face_laugh]
    I definitely recommend watching the Countdown when it is replayed if you missed it.

2. Kimblee

Kimblee Jedi Youngling

Jul 9, 2009
    Thanks for the heads up.

Forgot it even came on.

I'm taking Thiago/Lesnar/Hendo.[face_peace]

-KB-

3. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Lesnar, GSP, Bisping for me.

4. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    PS: PPV reserved, pizza's purchased, beer cold. I am ready. :D

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I am 1000% psyched for tomorrow night. any of the big three on the card would be enough to get me up for the night. All three of them? Wow. Should be great.

Mrs. Inty and I are going to go to B-Dubs to catch it. I like Lesnar-GSP-Bisbing to win the big three matches.

6. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    I'm so excited for tonight. This is by far the best UFC card I've seen. It's just stacked from top to bottom.

Although, I'm of the opinion that Dana should just have Sanchez and Guida fight each other on every card. That would be entertaining. :p

7. TK-2432

TK-2432 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2005
    I want to see what else Jon Jones has up his sleeve, he is such an exciting fighter and I believe he has the potential to be a headliner.

8. JediCouncilMember

Jul 15, 2003
    Hendo just destroyed Bisping! Yikes!

[face_beatup]

Edit:

GSP vs. Alves coming up.

9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I hate Brock Lesnar, even moreso after the crap he pulled tonight after he won..but he looks almost as unbeatable as GSP does at this point. Both were extremely impressive, but Mir looked pretty ragged from the start. I do want to see GSP step up and challenge Silva at middleweight, that would be an incredible fight.

Hendo shutting up that loudmouth was the highlight of the night, without a doubt. Solid card.

10. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    I don't mind how Lesnar acted at all, Mir was such a turd nugget for the past few months that a little in your face attitude was called for. Mir smack talked him every chance he got when a camera was around prior to the fight, Lesnar didn't say squat until the fight was over. Sounds fair to me.

I really liked his comment about having a Coors rather than a Bud because they wouldn't pay him, classic. :p

Oh yeah, and Guida vs Sanchez every card...hell yeah!

11. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    Lesnar and GSP are pretty untouchable, but expect to see Alves back in the running soon.

As for Sanchez v. Guida, it was an awesome fight, but Sanchez dominated and was in control for most of it.

So unless you enjoy seeing Guida being elbowed to death, then that would be a sad series.

-B-

12. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    I don't mind seeing that, would feel bad for Guida...but it entertains me so too bad. :p

Anybody else think it is about time Diego Sanchez gets a title shot? Regardless of who wins the Penn v Florian match ($ on Florian), Sanchez should definately have the 1st chance at that belt after UFC 101.

13. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    So, the UFC's top 100 fights. Anyone else a little disappointed that UFC seems to have cherry picked the fights eligible to be voted on? The UFC didn't allow any of the fights that Tito Ortiz actually won, they only made eligible the ones he lost. Also, they excluded all of Frank Shamrock's fights.

I feel cheated. It is very low of the UFC to exclude people from being eligible simply because Dana White doesn't like them. How childish.

14. JediCouncilMember

Jul 15, 2003
    Lots of news last week, Tito potentially back in the UFC, Barnett testing positive, cancelled Affliction show, then Affliction folds.

This is probably the best chance of bringing Fedor to the UFC. There are quite a few high profile fights for Fedor that would do huge PPV buys if he landed in the UFC.

15. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    So apparantly rumor has it that UFC has picked up all of Afflictions fighter contracts, meaning that UFC now has Tim Silvia, Andre Arlovski and.....Fedor.

That begs the question...how long is it going to be before we see Fedor vs Lesnar?

I hope this rumor is true, it would be cool to see Andre back in the UFC....and Fedor dominating the heavyweight division.

Also....Tito being resigned kicks ass.

16. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    And Silva performs another ownage. Who now?

17. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Take a hint from pro wrestling: Handicap matches. :p

But, seriously, Silva is a beast. No one is close to him in my mind for the P4P title.

18. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I did sort of get a feeling of arrogance from him though, since he didn't even bother to guard Griffin's strikes.

I guess Machida is the logical opponent but all indications are that he doesn't want to fight him at all.

19. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    And yet from the reviews Griffin only really hit him 1 time with authority, so why bother to defend against that?

So up next apparantly for Silva is Henderson? What is the point in that? Silva already beat him, and had little trouble doing so.

I would like to see him stay in the Light Heavyweight division and take on people like Tito Ortiz, Quentin Jackson and Lyoto Machida....but the way things sound that last match won't be taking place any time soon.

It would also be nice to see Wanderlei Silva stay at Light Heavyweight and fight Anderson, but apparantly Wanderlei is bound for a lighter division (Middleweight), which makes sense if Anderson is moving up Wanderlei could very easily dominate the Middleweight division and it's less than impressive fighters. It makes me wonder how many Light Middleweight fighters are going to drop weight and go into the Middleweight division.

20. JediCouncilMember

Jul 15, 2003
    I think it'd be cool if Silva did stay at 205 eventually, but not right now. He said he won't fight Machida, but Forrest was essentially a top 5 UFC Light Heavyweight and a former champ so that means the next logical fights for Silva (at 205) would be Machida, Rampage, Rashad, and Shogun and they are all pretty much tied up until the end of this year. I think the Machida fight is in Oct. That means Silva could fit in the Henderson (at 185) fight in say Oct./Nov. and then be prepared to go back to 205 for 2010. If Shougun wins you can potentially do Silva-Shogun in Feb, otherwise he can face the Rampage-Rashad loser in Feb/March. So either way he's got time to fit in one more 185 fight this fall.

Although since he never takes any damage, he can still probably jump between weight classes and defend the 185 belt frequently enough.

21. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    That is kinda what I envision happening, he will not put down his belt and fight in both weight classes.

So, anybody going to watch the Carano v Santos fight this weekend? I am probably not going to, don't want to pay for it.

Instead I will probably watch the free reairing of UFC 100 on Spike Saturday night, they are airing it in hopes of drawing some attention away from Strikeforce's PPV, which thanks to Carano is getting some serious attention.

UFC should just invest in some world class women fighters and create a woman's division of it's own, it would be nice to see IMO.

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    If I can find it for free, I'll probably watch, but only the Cyborg-Caranno match.

And, Dana White discussed the possibility of a UFC Women's division a little while back. They seriously looked into it, but there are only about 4-6 serious women out there right now. They're content to let someone else develop the division, and then when there's enough talent to support it, start to gobble it up and incorporate it into UFC.

And, seriously, who can't wait for The Ultimate Fighter 20: Estrogen!

23. Bill-Thompson

Bill-Thompson Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 4, 2008
    Patently false, there are around 100 legitimate female fighters out there, far more when you count the scrubs. Unfortunately the two that StrikeForce is choosing to promote happen to be two of the less talented.

Gina Carano is devoid of any actual talent, she only entered MMA because after a few muay Thai fights where she beta up on girls that she was three weight classes bigger than and who were also first week people training at gyms she faced a legitimate muay Thai fighter that was her own weight and she was beat so bad that she quit the sport on the spot. She has no ground game to speak of, her striking is below mediocre, she has no gas tank. She just has a pretty face and has benefited from fighting women she usually outweighs by 20-30 pounds come fight time her entire career, mostly due to her inability to ever make the contracted weight.

Cyborg isn't that much better, she's terrible on the ground, has no gas tank and is an average striker at best. She's nothing more than a roughhouse brawler, just like her husband.

If SF wants there 145 division to be taken seriously then legit talent like Marloes Coenen needs to be brought in stat. But, if they really want women's MMA to be taken seriously they need to forget about 145 and start up 105, 115, 125 and 135 divisions. Those divisions are full of talented fighters, from Megumi Fujii to Tara LaRosa and everyone in-between, who are leagues more skilled than either Gina or Cyborg and would actually make women's MMA seem worthwhile to the casual fan. But, most importantly those divisions have enough talented women for interesting match-ups, whereas 145 has maybe four or five fighters who can be legit challengers and that's it. It's even worse when you move to 160, there's only maybe one or two legit fighters that high up.

Women's MMA can be done tight, HooknShoot did it and so did BoDog, unfortunately Strikeforce appears to be on its way to being another EXC, ignoring the talented fighters in favor of the pretty faces, except Cyborg winning tossed a wrench into all of that but they have no one but themselves to blame for tossing someone as unskilled as Gina into a fight like that.

24. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    I think you are being a little harsh on Carano....

She might not be one of the best, but until the last 30 seconds, she gave almost as good as she got. If you watch that fight again, she actually landed some pretty clean punches. IMO, if she survived that round, she might have won the fight, since Cyborg looked to be breathing heavy at about the 1 min mark. Cyborg would not have had the stamina to last in a lengthy fight.

You are right, that there are fighters better than both, but it is not like they are unskilled, toughman competition brawlers. They are skilled women, that SF chose to promote.

25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Sorry, should have put the word "marketable" in there.