Arena Let's get it on!: The Mixed Martial Arts Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by ClarkWayne, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Bill-Thompson Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm being nice actually, I've been much harsher on her in the past, but she's just not skilled, in any area of the fight game.

Cyborg knew she had no punching power, that's why Carano was able to land those clean shots because Cyborg knew she wouldn't get hurt by them. Everyone should have known the fight was over when Gina tried to load up on a right hand, connected flush and Cyborg walked right through it like she had just been tapped by a pillow. When you don't have any power behind your punches, and Gina never has, then you need to be extremely technical with your strikes, and she isn't technical at all. Gina is a brawler without any actual punching power, not a good combination.

Cyborg has terrible cardio, but so does Gina. She was gassed even worse than Cyborg, and that's hard to accomplish. If that fight would have continued it would have been just as sloppy and Gina would have been knocked out because she had nothing for Cyborg in that fight.

Actually, that's exactly what they both are. They are both brawlers, only Cyborg has some power, Gina doesn't. Cyborg has always had abysmal ground skills, Gina has never had any. Neither has any wrestling, they both have terrible cardio. Both have proven through their careers that they are unprofessional due to their multiple times of not making the contracted weight of a fight. At the end of the day both are wild brawlers with no other skills in their game outside of brawling.
  2. DRHJ9 Force Ghost

star 4
    ^^

Having no ground skills does not make you a brawler....

Also, you are acting like they can't get better.

Carano has shown the ability to counter punch, and box effectively.

Cyborg uses brute force, and and has shown herself to also be an acurate puncher. Also, we have not really seen both fighter have to fight a whole fight, or the majority of one on the ground. Cyborg more than Carano, but not enough, IMO.

YES, both need ground game work, but they aren't unskilled brawlers. Also, Carano was not breathing as hard as Cyborg....she got caught on her back, and got knocked....after Carano had Cyborg on her back, both fighters got to their feet, and Cyborg was visually sucking air. Carano wasn't. Which doesn't matter, because she got KO'd anyway:p
  3. Bill-Thompson Jedi Knight

star 3
    When you lack any technique standing, yes, that makes you a brawler.

Carano has been training in stand-up for close to four years now and she's the exact same fighter as when she first started. The same is true of Cyborg, it's even worse with Cyborg because she took a few years off to focus on nothing but her ground game and her ground game regressed instead of improving. Sure, they could get better, but if after all this time they are still the same fighters as when they first started training they most likely won't.

No she hasn't, she wings her punches, always has. She doesn't box, she throws a simple on-two combination once in a while surrounded by winging haymakers. She's always been bigger than her opponents so that meant she could bully them around and eventually wear them out with her brawling, when she can't do that she's screwed.

She's not that accurate, she's the same as Carano, she throws a one-two surrounded by lots of haymakers and power shots that she wings over and over again. She fights with the same exact style as Gina, but she will succeed at this higher weight class because she is actually strong and doesn't rely on mass to bully smaller opponents around.

As for the ground, both women have been on the ground plenty in MMA, Cyborg moreso than Gina. Cyborg is horrendous on the ground, she's below a white belt just started out level and that's just sad. Gina's the worst kind of low level white belt, she learned a few high technique moves and she attempts them without having the knowledge to actually properly implement them. Both have been on the ground more than enough and both remain horrendous on the ground.

Watch the fight again, every time they separated Carano was bent over sucking in lungfuls of air, she was just as gassed as Cyborg. Even moreso because the reason she was kept in the hospital for so long after the fight wasn't due to any physical damage, but rather exhaustion.
  4. DRHJ9 Force Ghost

star 4

That is where we differ.....

Both fighters do not lack all technique. They might not have the BEST, but they are not exactly bar room level street fighters.

I have, most likely like you, have watched this sport grow. I have watched most PPV, and a lot of broadcast fights.

If you are looking for great boxing technique....even a lot of the good fighters aren't that great. They can't be, due to the nature of the sport. They can't keep their elbows tucked in, and absorb punches, becasue they have to be more balanced in case someone kicks or shoots. They don't have gloves to block, or limit the damage a punch to a blocking elbow or arm can do.

So you see a lot of fighters wing punches. You can also see a lack of hand speed a true boxer has, since most do not spend an extended part of their camp, in just this area.

Carano and Cyborg are not that bad. I have boxed, and watch a lot.....believe me they are not terrible. I have seen terrible, and boxed against terrible.
  5. Bill-Thompson Jedi Knight

star 3
    I box as well, and compete in MMA, and they are what I would label terrible in the technique department. They move forward and do nothing but wing punches. I don't even look for perfect technique in my MMA striking, but at the very least I look for a little more beyond plod forward and wing punches as wildly as I can on the hope that something will connect. They are bar room brawlers, they would fit in perfectly in MMA circa 1996, because that is how they fight, standing wise at least.
  6. DRHJ9 Force Ghost

star 4
    If you compete, then you would agree that counter punching in MMA is very different than boxing. MMA fighters can't absorb punches to the arms and body, like boxers can...due to equipment, and other aspects of the sports...as mentioned before.

Also, winging punches in MMA can be a legitimate technique, since punches to the side of the head do more damage than in boxing, and can save ones hands and arms from damage.

I am not saying Carano, and Cyborg deliberately do this.....but they are hardly alone in winging punches. In fact, There are very few who show the accuracy and speed of a professional boxer....due to the limitations and differences I mentioned.

No they aren't, but it is pointless to argue, since this is your opinion.

I am not saying they are at the top of the sport in technique, but I think you are exagerating a bit, IMO.

Anyway....I guess differences of opinion are to be expected....since the saying goes that two people can see the same thing completely different....[face_peace]
  7. Mikaboshi Force Ghost

star 6
    Well, it is almost time. TUF 10 starts in 3 days. Me = excited. [face_dancing]
  8. Mikaboshi Force Ghost

star 6
    ~Wonders if anyone else is watching TUF right now~

I for one am excited to see how this fight goes.
  9. Mikaboshi Force Ghost

star 6
    Not too much longer before we see Machida destroy Rua ([face_dancing]).
  10. IntyMobile Jedi Master

star 1
    Cannot wait for Machida to whoop him.
  11. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    Did I watch the same fight as the judges?

I mean, I picked Machida to win by decision, but he lost by decision. Only he didn't. Ugh.
  12. Mikaboshi Force Ghost

star 6
    You watched the same fight as I did then. No way in hell did Machida deserve to win that, especially by a unanimous decision. Rua should have walked out wearing that belt.

The way I saw it, rounds 1 and 2 were as close as they come in MMA and I don't think either really won those rounds. Machida won round 3, but from then on out it was all Rua.

Blech! The one good thing about this is that Dana White thought Rua won that as well, and has already said there should be a rematch. Hopefully we get it. I will still be cheering for Lyoto, he is a great fighter and didn't preform up to the level we have seen him in the past, and if he can get back to that level he should be able to legitimately beat Rua.
  13. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    Neither guy looked like he wanted to win. Both were way too passive, and neither fought their game. You need to have the rematch, thanks to the controversy of the decision, but it can't headline again. I wouldn't plunk down money to watch that again.
  14. Mikaboshi Force Ghost

star 6
    Agreed. If they fight again it should not be as a main event, possibly a co-main event, but not as the top billed fight of the night.
  15. JediCouncilMember Jedi Master

star 4
    I didn't think it was that horrible a decision. I rewatched it without volume and you can certainly make a case for Machida in rds 1-3. But If you look at the fighters at the end it looked like Shogun won. It's funny I think the order of the rounds really makes a difference in the scoring b/c while Shogun was doing good in rds 1-2 the effects weren't really seen until rds 3-4-5. I think if this fight went in this order: 3,4,5,1,2 it is 4-1 Shougun but having 1-2 right off the bat helped Machida in the scoring since he was the champ.

I think Shougun probably should have won, but I don't think this ranks up there with the absolute worst decisions ever.

Actually this works out good for the UFC in that they can do a rematch and have the built in hype for it plus they are severely lacking in 205 challengers with Rampage out. Rashad has already lost to Machida, Griffin got smoked by Silva, Liddel has lost a few in a row, Tito hasn't had his comeback fight yet, Silva won't fight Machida, Franklin just lost. It gives them a little time to sort out the next contender, plus Shogun comes out really well even with the loss since many people think he won.

I would get this fight again on PPV, but then again I get them all. :D
    Having a solid co-main event or stack card would certainly help overall buys. I do love the Spike pre-lims though hope they keep that up.

As for TUF, it is clear why it is so tough to find good Heavyweights. I understand most of these guys are green but they have absolutely no gas tanks. Last nights fight was painful to watch at some times, but at least they got in some good flurries.
  16. Mikaboshi Force Ghost

star 6
    Wow, this thread seems to have been forgotten about.

Anyone going to watch UFC 111, St-Pierre vs Hardy? I was considering watching it in the local theatre, but they are trying to charge $20 seat for it....so yeah....not going to happen.

If you get two people together who want to watch, after tickets and snacks you are better off just paying for it at home on PPV...or going to a bar that shows the fights.

Anyway, loving Hardy...though I am having a hard time convincing myself that he could actually beat St. Pierre., should be fun to watch though. Mir vs Carwin as well, really hope that Carwin KO's Mir, it would be rewarding to see.

So, anyone watching the free UFC Live: Vera vs Jones event on the VS. Channel? I am definately sitting down for that one. Vera v. Jones, Dos Santos v. Gonzaga, Kongo v. Buentello...all great matches...throw in some Guida just for the fun of it and that is a free event that should not be missed IMHO.
  17. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    Upping so people can discuss the last UFC event as well as the firings of Kimbo Slice for gassing out in his match and Daley for trying to suckerpunch Koscheck after their fight.
  18. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    Good on Shogun...brutal.

I hate Koscheck but Daley is an idiot.
  19. TazzMission2183 Jedi Knight

star 1
    former power ranger jason david frank aka green ranger enters the mma world he is currently 3 and 0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w62hatqbEpA&feature=related

boys nasty in the cage he made his opponent bend
    Juliet316 likes this.
  20. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    MMA has almost completely fallen off my radar of late. There just hasn't been a fight/card to really grab my attention.
  21. Darth_Furio Force Ghost

star 7
    Predictable Evans win over Rampage. I never thought I'd say that Rampage wasn't aggresive enough after he clocked Evans in the thord round. Evans was always going to try to win in a decesion.
  22. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    Who saw Rampage on RAW last night?
  23. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
  24. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    Broken record here, but once again I came away thinking the Iceman needs to retire before he suffers (more) (permanent) brain damage.
  25. DRHJ9 Force Ghost

star 4
    Whoever that Ref was in the Chris Cyborg fight needs to be fired, and not allowed to work anymore...

Finney was not going to make a comeback in that fight....her corner should be fired too! She went to her knees and covered up, and Cyborg teed off! It was only when Finney knew the Ref was not going to stop the fight, that she decided to respond...thus making it look like she was putting up a fight....she traded when she was up, but on the ground it was hard to watch....