main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Let's get it on!: The Mixed Martial Arts Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by ClarkWayne, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    I think Machida would win that fight, but a nice addition to the card nonetheless if it's true.

2. ForceJumpAnakin

ForceJumpAnakin Force Ghost star 4

Dec 24, 2006
    WOW. Silva delivered another highlight reel knockout. He should fight the winner of Shogun vs Jones next!

3. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    Anderson proved again he is the class of that division. It was also good to see Forrest Griffen get back in the ring. Hopefully he's sharper for his next fight.

4. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Rashad injured himself, it's Bones v Shogun.

Bones is impressive and all but I see Shogun winning if he can come back at a decent level from his latest injury.

5. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    I would put my cash on Jones...just because he is more exciting.

6. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Exciting =/= winning. :p

7. ForceJumpAnakin

Dec 24, 2006
    Not to completely discount Jones, but I believe Shogun has the striking advantage. While Jones takes the center of the Octagon, I see Shogun landing kicks and punches circling him. If Jones gets too comfortable being flashy or waving his arms and such, he will get knocked out.

It is rumored Matt Hamill will be the one to fight Rampage next.

8. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    Sounds like that isn't a rumor any more, hope Rampage takes a win...really like that dude.

So, Fedor lost again. Too bad, kinda felt he was overrated for the past 2 years (cause he fights losers)...but I still like him. Just wish he could somehow ditch M1 and get his career back on track.

9. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Hamill is one of my personal favorites. And, as much as I've gotten out of following MMA recently, he's been about the fighter I've continued to quasi-follow. Hopefully, he can take down a "name" like Rampage and continue his climb.

10. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    GSP won tonight, but man Sheilds made him work for it, GSP's left eye was beaten shut. Still you got beat the Champ and GSP won the rounds. Machida levelled Cotoure with the karate kid's finishing move, it was awesome, front kick to the face. [face_beatup] 55,000 people in Rogers Centre here in Toronto. Impressive.

11. ForceJumpAnakin

Dec 24, 2006
    Oh man Brock got that illness again. Carwin vs JDS will happen next month I guess. Injuries are happening a lot more this year...

12. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    That whole card got shifted around in terms of the heavy weight fights. At least that is still a pretty good main event, UFC 130 was ruined IMO with the loss of the Maynard v Edgar fight. I love Rampage but I was looking forward to Maynard and Edgar III.

13. ForceJumpAnakin

Dec 24, 2006
    Yeah baby, GSP vs Diaz in October! I could be wrong but the upside of these fights getting delayed is it will make the end of the year cards more exciting. Basically, we've seen these events without the mega fights, but it will only get better from here on out.

14. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    I am looking forward to that fight as well. We will finally get to see if Diaz is able to live up to the hype he created for himself. They way GSP dealt with Shields, I am guessing he will take a win over Diaz as well (most likely by decision...because they all are :p).

Really looking forward to the freshly announced Fedor vs. Henderson fight as well.

15. ForceJumpAnakin

Dec 24, 2006
    War Hendo! Epic Win!!

16. Dinkus_Mayhem

Dinkus_Mayhem Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2006
    Any thoughts on how Zuffa is dealing with top Strikeforce talent? Cutting Fedor, cutting Overeem.

Fedor, meh. I can take him or leave him. Yes he at one point was the greatest fighter in MMA, but that era is long gone IMHO. His place in MMA history is secure, it will be some time (if ever) before someone rivals his achievements. That being said, he hasn't fought real top talent in some while...and the times where he did try to pick it up he got handled.

I have for 2-3 years thought he was overrated and don't really mind seeing him cut.

Overeem on the other hand. While I am tired of his apparant pleasure at avoiding fighting to defend his title (ie 1 title defenses in 4 years) and fighting a lot of no talent fighters in the meantime, I would have liked to see him in the cage against the worlds best to either prove or disprove his ranking.

I have watched a lot of his fights, both MMA (Dream & Strikeforce) and in K1...and I am just not sure if he is the real deal or not. He has a great record, though sometimes against less than impressive opponents, and he wasn't very impressive at all against Werdum. He just didn't dominate that fight like people thought he should have.

Oh well, Dana White seemingly let his ego get in the way of that one. He could have put the question of where the Reem should really fall in the HW rankings, but he let some potentially cool fights slip out of his fingers when he let Overeem go.

17. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I think the Overeem cut had a lot to do with disputes that his promotion, Golden Glory I think is the name, had with Zuffa in the past. I also have heard that Scott Coker pretty much forced him to fight injured against Fabricio Werdum, with the promise that his next fight would occur in "late fall." However, with the mess that is the Strikeforce Heavyweight GP, his fight against Bigfoot was moved up to September, which would not allow him time to heal. Overeem recently said that he would like to fight in the UFC, so I'm not sure his fight with Dana is as personal as Fedor's.

I think they both involved some politics actually. While cutting Fedor was business-he is clearly in decline now- he too brings the M-1 Global baggage to every card he is on (which is another promotion that Dana White can't get along with), as they have to be co-named in promoting every fight. I'm sure there were plenty of other reasons, this is just what I have read over the last few weeks.

It really looks like Zuffa is preparing to disband Strikeforce a bit sooner than they said, with some of the biggest stars either headed to or looking like they're going to the UFC (N. Diaz, Henderson, probably Melendez), and some others going their own ways, like Fedor and Overeem.

18. ForceJumpAnakin

Dec 24, 2006
    Hands down UFC Rio was one of the best events ever.

19. ForceJumpAnakin

Dec 24, 2006
    I am now a Frankie Edgar fan for life. That guy is awesome! Gray Manyard beat the crap out of him in the first round again, and not only did he survive, he knocked him out! Not bad for a jersey shore kid.

20. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    It is very rarely that I am so much more hyped for an undercard fight than a main event.

Chael Sonnen vs. Michael Bisping has been hyped like crazy, Phil Davis vs. Rashad has not, and even though they will most likely turn out to be a 15 minute grappling matches, I can't wait to see which loudmouth wins (and what they have to say afterwards-especially if its Chael).

Edit: Well, Davis-Evans might be a 25 minute grappling match. They've gone with the 5 round non-title setup for FOX.

21. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Well it was close, either could've won I think.

However nice loudmouth effort from 'THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME' Chael. He's gonna get murked by Silva again if he puts in that performance.

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I agree, that shtick is annoying. Didn't understand his strategy, trying to trade with Bisping early on, Chael is not a striker in any sense of the word. I know he was preparing for Munoz, and they said he had a tough weight cut, but he still has solid cardio in a 3 round fight.

That being said, Bisping looked really good, and should be taken very seriously in that weight division. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dana bring Luke Rockhold over from Strikeforce to fight Bisping next.

23. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Is Phil Davis coming out to a Rihanna song?

24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Dana is 0/2 on UFC on FOX cards, after the 1:00 Junior dos Santos knockout and now this.

What a boring card.

25. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Once it became clear that Davis could do nothing, Rashad was content to bounce around and LnP to victory. Pretty normal for a dual wrestler main event.