main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Let's get it on!: The Mixed Martial Arts Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by ClarkWayne, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    It's what makes people like John McCain call MMA 'human cockfighting' and manage to nearly get it banned in the US (it's still banned in several states, including NY)

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Same for me, that was savage stuff. Winslow had two really bad stoppages in SF- Cyborg (female version-loosely) and King Mo, the latter even called her out. Mirgliotta in the Mir-Carwin fight was bad too.

I agree, its the worst mistake imaginable. We may hate the early stoppages from the usual suspects, Yves and Mazzagatti, but at least nobody's getting hurt.

3. Amatsu Mikaboshi

Amatsu Mikaboshi Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 7, 2013
    True. I would rather see one stopped a hair early than to see someone permanently hurt by waiting and watching him/her get beat up when they can't defend.

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    They're pushing so hard for NY, I think they'll eventually get it. Lots of economic benefit, Lorenzo F said 100 mil over 2 yrs for the state, and the UFC may guarantee 2 fights a year. Northeast and Canada such a huge market, NY is just a matter of time.

The problem is states like mine, where some backwoods non-sanctioned fight in SC gets a guy killed. Often there is very poor organization in the smaller market states to regulate safety.

5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    It does seem like they're pushing ever so much closer that if legalization doesn't happen in NY in the next couple of years, I'll be shocked. Especially as UFC appears to be regaining the upswing in popularity again with the exciting matches the last couple of MEs on PPV have been (For some reason I managed to get a PPV freeview on my cable system and was able to see UFC 158. GSP/Diaz was as awesome as everybody said it was and LOL at the crowd clearly chanting FU Diaz when Rogan was pretending to not know what they were saying), as well as the rising popularity of several stars especially GSP and Rousey. If MMA did get legalized this year and UFC got their wish to use MSG for their 20th anniversary event, I suspect the reaction would far surpass what I suspect this year's WM at Metlife will get.

6. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  7. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Good lord, that author is a turd. He is the athletic equivalent of a political knuckle-dragger like James Dobson, does not care to entertain any facts whatsoever, simply plays to the emotions of his audience of mouth-breathers that he assumes is uneducated in MMA and will agree with him after he scares them with words like "rap music" and vaguely references the ring fatalities without any detail, or even the slightest hint of a comparison to the brutality in boxing that has resulted in over 900 deaths in sanctioned fights over the last 120 years.

Juliet316 likes this.
  8. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Especially the fact that the MMA deaths happened in venues where the sport is unregulated, and not in UFC (and Bellator and Strikeforce when it existed), which often goes to places where the sport is highly regulated (even if Dana White may sometimes ***** about it) and has over the years made safety and drug testing a high priority. UFC has even gone so far as to completely eliminate exceptions for TRT (Testostrone Replacement Therapy), in recent months.

heels1785 likes this.
  9. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Well, to be fair, there have technically been 3 deaths in "regulated fights." The most recent one, in Mt. Pleasant, SC, was completely unrelated to the fight, the coroner determined. There was another in SC and one in Texas fighting in promotions that surely can't afford experienced referees, likely they were glorified street fights. Still, you make a good point- Dana White's chief concern has never been questioned, and that's why is so vocal against garbage commissions and referees- he knows that one late stoppage gone bad at a top level competition could mortally wound the whole sport, with the microscope it's under.

Heck, on a different note, look at how CBS reacted when Mayhem and the Diaz posse brawled in Nashville- completely severed ties and banished SF back to Showtime, just out of fear that the "thug" image that many have created fictitiously would hurt their brand. It's a growing sport that is constantly being hacked at, and that has forced Dana and others to overcompensate on issues like safety, which make claims like those of the Post writer utterly absurd.

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I hadn't heard that was the real reason CBS never broadcast another Strikeforce event (they gave 'ratings' as the excuse), but given that it's CBS, that doesn't surprise me (which is also why I was surprised it was willing to get back into bed with MMA via Bellator on Spike TV). And your right, with the spotlight the sport is constantly under, the UFC has had to work overtime to make sure the integrity of the sport is hardly ever questioned by the fans and the media (except for those who are hardcore anti - MMA and working to try and bring it down).

Funny though, you should mention the Diaz camp: Nick is already complaining that the fight with GSP was unfair because GSP didn't make it at exactly 170.

-- Nick Diaz's lawyer has a statement on the front page regarding the weigh-in incident we talked about on Observer Radio last night. Basically, it sounds like they either want a title fight rematch or for GSP to vacate the title. A UFC rep was filmed before the fight telling Diaz's camp, "Here, they're going to allow you and Georges to have an extra hour. Just in case somebody doesn't make it. But the good news is, they don't count the decimal. If you're 170.2 it's 170. If it's 170.9. it's 170." He said Diaz's camp hadn't been told earlier because it was "an off-the-record type of thing". Obviously, the controversy is that in title fights there is no one-pound plus-or-minus, you have to make weight exactly for a title fight otherwise you forfeit 20% of your purse and the fight is non-title, and the belief from the Diaz camp appears to be that UFC was concerned that GSP couldn't make 170, so they allowed for an 0.9 pound overage, which is completely unfair.
    -- The Quebec Commission is denying any wrongdoing, or that anything out of the ordinary occurred. They claim their rules have always allowed an overage in title fights and that it is uniformly applied.

Credit: WrestlingObserver.com/F4wonline.com

11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I think the Bellator move for Spike was more to fill the vacuum left by the UFC- that relationship was long and good, and I guess Viacom thought that since Spike is a "guy" network, that was the appropriate place to put it. I just remember how much CBS promoted Dan Henderson for that Shields fight, and then Gus Johnson giving his now-infamous line during the brawl, "Sometimes these things happen in MMA."

That's not surprising from Diaz, although I thought he was retired- so why would he even care? :p

Juliet316 likes this.
  12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  14. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    No one else thinks a trans gender fighting is beyond the level of whats normal?? I mean youre taking a guy and cutting his junk off than letting him fight women..

This doesn't seem bizarre to anyone.

Trip and Mikaboshi like this.
  15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Ellenburger vs Rory booked for UFC on Fox 8 in Seattle. FOTY contender I think..it will be a brawl.

16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Should be a good one.

17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Ronda Rousey's next opponent (and co - coach of the next Ultimate Fighter) will be...

Cat Zingano

19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Watching the card on delay.

Can't believe Nick Diaz got knocked out- Thomson caught him flush with two head kicks, great performance, always a good night when a Diaz loses.

20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Mir needs to be done, he was awful, again. Cormier isn't ready for the big guns yet, but he's getting there, and he thoroughly beat up Mir tonight.

I thought Gil Melendez won the first three rounds, but as they always say, can never rely on winning split decisions as the challenger. Unless Aldo moves up, there should be a rematch, nobody else up there with those 2, especially with the Diaz loss. Good to see Bendo's proposal as well, he's a good guy and always a gracious winner.

Chael ready to go, just one week to go. Can't wait.

21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    heels1785 likes this.
  22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Awesome, I can't wait to listen to that. Thanks.

Chael was in full form at the end of the broadcast, some line about applying to college while Jones was sitting on his dad's lap asking for quarters. Deadspin rapped him early in the week for race relations, since he's gone after Jones and Silva hardest, so I don't know how that comment will go over. He's a talented fighter, and sells PPVs, but I think Jones is going to make a fool of him.

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    The podcast is even richer, considering he claims at one point during it that he's never had a UFC contract and never had one to fight Anderson Silva.

24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I read that on the UG forums this week- that would greatly surprise me if true, Chael spews a lot. I think the NSAC refuted the claim about not being contracted for the Silva fight today, too.

After Maia beat him, when Chael then mowed through Dan Miller, then Okami, and then Marquardt on his way to fight Silva the first time, I can't see businessmen as disciplined as Dana and the Fertitas not having him under contract. He was a good fighter rising through the ranks, but not at the stage where he could make demands of them. Silva, and then the drug suspension, put him on the map.

25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, Sonnen's blowing smoke out of his butt on that one. Still it's always interesting to read/hear what he has to say. And him + Steve Austin [face_devil]