main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Let's get it on!: The Mixed Martial Arts Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by ClarkWayne, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Somebody was, ahem, 'kind' enough to link me to a twitpic of Jones' nearly severed big toe. (forget 'broke' the damn thing is damn near severed). I'm survived he lasted long enough to beat Sonnen.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I haven't seen it yet, but have read accounts of it causing nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea.

I will stay away from it, that Louisville kids horrific injury was enough for a while.

Who unretires first, Nick Diaz or Chael?

3. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Question....is there REALLY such a thing as "Mixed Martial Arts"?

Because it looks like a couple of drunken rednecks randomly beating the crap out of each other with no real rules or anything.

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  5. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    So Aytee, did you come in here to actually discuss the sport or just troll? It is hard to tell based on how you worded your post.

I was linked to a broken toe picture as well, disgusting. Hope he heals up fast. Not really a fan of Jones the man, but the athlete is amazing. Rumor has it they are really trying to push for Silva vs Jones now.

Juliet316 likes this.
  6. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I think Gustafson and Glover Texiera are the only threats to Bones at 205.

Rumors always going around that Dan Cormier could cut to 205 and give him a fight, but I can't see him comfortable at that weight, given how he looked against Mir. I think Silva is much more likely to fight Jones than GSP- one, Silva has fought there before with great success, and two, GSP is in a more competitive class and is not reliable for a super fight, health wise.

Aytee, I'll assume you were genuine in your question. I'll say this- worldwide, people have devoted their lives to the art (Google the Gracie family to start) and made lots of money off of the resulting sport. Sure, its an acquired taste, much like boxing, but I highly recommend taking in a fight or two. If its not your thing, then you're probably in the majority.

And if it was not genuine, I wish you well- I enjoy your posts.

7. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    heels1785: Diaz, he's whining too much about how Jones cheated with the weight to stay retired. I say we're looking at Jones/Diaz II down the road. Also Jones has apparently said he'll take a paycut to fight Silva on FOX if that's what it'll take to make the match happen. We shall see.

And yes, stay as far away from that Jones pic as possible. Unfortunately it was literally as I was about to eat dinner, and yeah, dinner had to wait awhile until I got that image out of my head.

Aytee-Aytee I would suggest to you that you look up pro MMA matches (Specifically UFC, Bellator, Strikeforce, etc., most you can find on YouTube), then come back with a more informed opinion. The sport is much more than just two people beating the crap out of each other, and yes there are rules, especiall with UFC level fighting.

8. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    Yeah, I just couldn't tell based on how it was worded so if it was a serious question Aytee I have to apologize for being snippy.

It is a very technical sport, don't let the blood make you lose sight of the many disciplines being used. Most fighters seem to use a mix consisting of wrestling, judo, boxing, muay thai, jujitsu and tae kwon do or kickboxing these days.

It isn't the wild west like it was back in the 90s, now those were some no rules fights going on.

I wouldn't mind seeing Cormier go down to 205, would love to see Roy Nelson do so as well but am not counting on that happening.

9. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Exactly, Mikaboshi.

Now Tank Abbott? He was a massive slobbish looking fighter, that's the image Dana, Liddell, Shamrock, and Ortiz gradually shed the UFC of. These days its one of the most technical sports I can think of.

Juliet, curious to see what you think- would a Diaz/GSP II be any better than the first? I want Nate to fight Rory or Condit, and then maybe Hendricks. Some real stand up wars possible.

10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    And people like Sonnen, Diaz, and Rousey are adding colorful characters while at the same time bringing skills to the table.

11. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    That actually was a genuine question. I've tried watching the fights, but there seems to be no real art or etiquette to it; just two brutes beating the **** out of each other until one taps out.

Boxing and wrestling I understand. (speaking of wrestling, I actually enjoy watching sumo tournaments).

But MMA is this whole other beast which seems to be geared more towards bloodlust instead of any actual sport, like a modern version of gladiatorial combat.

12. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    I used to hate the Diaz brothers, but they do bring some drama to the fights. They octagon ability is amazing as well, they never fail to entertain or challenge the opponent.

I don't want to see Nate go up in weight though. He got tossed around by Rory badly, couldn't imagine it going any better the second time around.

PS: The common fan does seem to like the blood and brawl aspects of the fights more, but educated fans really enjoy the ground fighting which more often than not is a very strategic match heavily utilizing jujitsu and wrestling.

Try finding some grapple tournament matches, much more like wrestling. You might like that a bit better.

13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    What MMA are you watching. Actual UFC/Strikerforce fights or fights that are outside the UFC sphere and thus likely unregulated?

UFC has a channel on YouTube if you want to sample some of those fights.

14. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005

Check that out, it isn't MMA it is a world class grapple event. This is a very old one but a good one, showcasing Frank Mir vs Roy Nelson (two top MMA heavyweights).

I love this match because most people forget how great Roy is at wrestling and jiu-jitsu.

heels1785 and Juliet316 like this.
  15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I thought it was. Sorry for questioning it, just threw me off on the wording. Its a very common criticism of the sport, and sometimes it can be REALLY brutal (Fedor-Bigfoot Silva), I agree. My take on why it makes many uncomfortable is that its not as restrictive as boxing (you can kick your opponent in the face, or hold them down and beat them), and much more bloody than grappling or wrestling. I will champion the refs of MMA, for the most part- most of them are gurus and/or athletes themselves, and the role they play in officiating is unparalleled in any sport. Juliet and I discussed fatalities in the sport a few weeks ago, and it is truly remarkable how few there have been, given the rise of minor promotions with the sports popularity. Its hard to think of such a brutal sport as being safe, but the rules in place really are effective.

But it really is a technical sport, and from the sound of it, you can appreciate that from wrestling. Joe Rogan can be weird, but if you listen to him talk through the ground moves of a true artist like a Damian Maia, Ronda Rousey, or Kendall Grove- fighters who made their name through technical prowess- you begin to see the intelligence and strategy behind the cauliflower ears.

Always happy to talk the sport here anytime with anyone, I completely understand its perceived and real shortcomings (equal fighter pay and insurance, for one), but I do believe in its legitimacy and longterm success.

16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    heels1785 because I missed your Diaz/Jones II question while focusing on Aytee-Aytee, but to answer question, I don't know if Diaz/Jones II would be any better, but my gut is that with Diaz going overboard with whining about it and Jones admitting that yes, he did miss weight slightly, that we're heading for a rematch sooner or later.

17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Diaz/GSP :)

If Diaz fought Jones, it'd be a quick affair.

Diaz is a less likeable version of Chael- however the biggest difference they have is that Chael is a company man, and Diaz is a major pain (problem showing for promos, conference calls, etc.). Dana won't do any favors for him if the rubber hits the road, as he's done for Chael.

18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, I keep waiting for either Diaz brother to write a check their mouths can't cash enough for Dana to cut them loose. I think the only reason he hasn't so far is perhaps a fear that Bellator might make the Diaz brothers an offer if UFC terminates them.

19. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    I didn't know Senator McCain had an account on these forums...

20. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    Now lets chat about the recent PPV... As a fan I was not impressed with this card at all.. The Bisping/Belcher fight was embarrassing to watch. Belcher cant go 3 rounds even at a moderate pace and this match didn't include any ground work at all.. Bisping used his technique and his endless gas tank to outwork Alan in every facet of the standup game. Belcher better do something soon because if you cant go 3 rounds hard youre done in this sport (see BJ Penn).

And the main event was a complete waste of time.. I don't watch a 5 round main event to see the challenger beaten to a pulp within the first 3 minutes of the fight. Pretty anticlimactic. I wanna see at least 3 rounds before a finish.

Now Jim Miller and Pat Healy, very disappointed in Jim Miller getting beaten by Healy. Not to knock Healy at all cause hes very much talented and has lots of experience.. Also to note Josh Tompson, who recently KO'd Nate Diaz has a great rear naked choke win over Pat Healy from a Strikeforce event. Shows that Josh can hang with any UFC LW.

21. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
  22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    No, thank you. The still photo I was linked to was bad enough.[face_sick]

23. JangoMike

JangoMike Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2003
    Such a loaded question.........I don't know where to begin.

All I can really say is I used to think the same way. Then one day, i sat down and watched the show, The Ultimate Fighter. It really gave me an insight into the discipline and dedication to all the different fighting styles to be able to compete on this level.

Its just a fascinating sport. The term mixed martial arts implies that you have to know many styles of martial arts to compete and its true. As you start to get familiar with different fighters you start to see the advantages and disadvantages of the different styles. You see where some guys are stronger in some disciplines and weaker in others and how that can be used against them.

You have to have good ground game skills like Jiu-Jitsu and Wrestling. You have to have good stand up skills, Kickboxing, Boxing, Dirty Boxing, Muy Thai, hell even Karate as foundations!!!! Not only that, you got to fight smart. You need to know how to use all those tools to win. You need to be disciplined to sit there and train and train your a** off. You have to have great cardio........

I can go on and on...but trust me. This is coming from somebody who pretty much hates all professional sports and the whole "jock" culture. MMA is pretty awesome and unique. Give it a chance....

24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    GSP is going to be on Last Call with Carson Daily at 1:35am this evening/tomorrow morning depending on how you look at such an hour.

JangoMike likes this.
  25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    JangoMike, do you train? Just curious, I couldn't quite tell from your post- I never have tried it (just a geek who watches it), but I have some buddies who have hit local gyms around here. As unfortunately shown by having 2 of the 4 deaths in the history of the sport in our state, it's kind of a big thing in South Carolina, especially on the minor circuits.