main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Let's get it on!: The Mixed Martial Arts Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by ClarkWayne, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    UFC is also apparently doing a 1/4/14 show in Singapore.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    :rolleyes:

Surprised Pettis beat Bendo. Good for him, so much talent.

3. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    *snickers quietly*

Edit: Apparently Pettis suffered some sort of knee injury in the fight with Henderson

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I wouldn't be surprised if he got it on one of those body kicks- those looked devastating. Should give Dana time to set up a solid eliminator between TJ Grant and Gil Melendez to decide the next challenger.

Pettis is also open to a superfight with Aldo. That would be a doozie.

5. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    The stoppage in Mir-Barnett was absolutely awful. Mendes-Guida was early, too.

6. JangoMike

JangoMike Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2003

[​IMG]

Yes, I realize that I am biased......but the way MIR drops and makes no effort to defend himself, his right hand just drops down, not making an effort to cover up....yeah it was quick, but its the refs call, I think it was legitimate

7. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I can see that, sure. I am just of the belief that if it's going to be called after a one-shot/flash, the loser should be unable to stand right back up. But there is plenty of evidence to the contrary.

JangoMike, who do you like next for Barnett?

8. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  9. JangoMike

Jan 13, 2003

Excellent question....Well if you take a look at the rankings I think the best match to make would be against Bigfoot, Werdum or Cormier....

I don't want to see Barnett fight Dos Santos or Cain just yet.....I think Bigfoot would be a great next fight, if not Werdum. Barnett has alreayd been ragdolled by Cormier, so I would say if he gets past Bigfoot/Werdum, then Cormier next...THEN a title shot against Cain/Dos Santos, depending on who wins.....

heels1785 likes this.
  10. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Nice, I agree totally. I think Bigfoot is the more interesting of those matches, but both he and Werdum are enormously inconsistent. I like Barnett to win each of those fights.

JangoMike likes this.
  11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Yushin Okami..wow. Bad loss tonight.

JangoMike likes this.
  13. JangoMike

Jan 13, 2003

He lost bad....but it makes sense Jacare is a freaking MONSTER!!!!!!!! His striking and movement were so precise, powerful and crips.....it was scary to watch him destroy Okami....

14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    It looks like Mir vs Overeem is a go for November's 20th anniversary UFC show.

15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Hopefully as an undercard or Facebook fight. Mir has got little to nothing left and can't strike, and Overeem gasses 2 minutes into the fight.

16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Nate Diaz vs. Gary Maynard will headline the 11/30 UFC event in Las Vegas

17. JangoMike

Jan 13, 2003

This should be an interesting fight because Nate Diaz has been training with Team Alpha Male recently. Team Alpha male is a premier fight camp with SOLID wrestling and NOW SOLID striking. As a team, they have gone 17-0 in the UFC!!!!! An absolute great choice for Nate to be training with them before fighting a wrestler like Maynard.

Wrestling has always been the Achilles heal for the Diaz brothers. Im excited to see Nate taking the initiative and going there to train.

18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    BJ Penn is back in the UFC. He's going to coach against and then fight Edgar again on TUF.

One of my favorites of all time. That being said, the beating he took from Diaz is hard to forget, and not something I want to see again. I hope he knows what he's doing.

19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  20. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    OMG, this is the one thing that could get me actively engaged with the sport again. BJ is my favorite fighter of all time although its a painful process due to his insane fight selection. He should have won the dec against Frankie in the first fight, just check the stats. Of course he lost the second. I can only pray this motivates him.

21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Anybody get a chance to see Bones-Gustafson yet? I know the outcome, but still want to see it, because I hear it was a real good one. Clearly the best test Bones has gotten.

22. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    That fight was awesome. So nice to see a JJ fight and not feel like you know how it's going to end.

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Whew. You weren't joking. I'm not surprised Jones won, but it was not convincing- man, he was really beat up.

Both fighters will probably on long medical probations, but their next fight is surely against each other. Glover Texiera is the only other fighter at LHW that I could see even being near those two, unless Cormier were to drop/Anderson comes up.

Also, I haven't seen this many times since they changed it, but how awesome is the Hans Zimmer-scored opening? I remember Randy dropping Sylvia like it was yesterday, Mike and Joe had barely gotten through the sponsorship piece.

24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Jones vs. Teixeira official, likely at the Feb 1 UFC event in New Jersey.

25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Texiera could and should beat him. He has the best chin in the division, and is a bull in the same mold as Cain. I think Johnny's best path to victory will be outpointing him, just as he did Gustaffson.

Also, if Bones beats him he needs to head on up to fight Cormier. The cupboard will be bare at LHW.