main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Let's get it on!: The Mixed Martial Arts Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by ClarkWayne, Nov 16, 2006.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    George is "stepping away" for a while. If this is it, he got a very nice retirement gift.

Edit- scorecards released- round 1 was the difference. Two had it for GSP, one for Hendricks.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    A most irritated Dana White to Ariel Helwani (FOX):

Hendricks won the fight.

Nevada State Athletic Commission is the worst Commission on the planet, "despicably horrible." Afraid to bring fighters to Nevada.

Changes will need to be made for UFC to continue to holds fights in Vegas (after already planned events). Governor of Nevada needs to make changes.

St. Pierre "will not retire." He owes it to fans, company, and Hendricks to provide immediate rematch.

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  4. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I just re-watched the whole fight. George was more active in the first round, but Hendricks did far more damage in the minute or so that they were in the clinch. Rounds 2 and 4 went to Hendricks, and 3 and 5 went to GSP, that's not really disputable. Hendricks won round 2 so decisively that I think it may have influenced many to forget what actually happened in rd 1.

It was a bad judgment, but I guess I can see it a little better now. Champion is going to get the edge in a tight round.

Edit- also very interesting to see what happened after the fight. Hendricks' camp swarmed Dana White to protest while GSP was with Rogan. I didn't see that last night, probably because I was so shocked.

5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Dana's strongly hinted that Hendricks will get a rematch, whether GSP wants to retire or not.

6. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  7. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  8. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Terribly sad. ESPN is reporting he has passed, brought on by massive cardiac arrest.

Not a top of the weight-class guy, but a big name in the sport. Certainly largest that has passed away since Evan Tanner.

9. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Yikes, very sad.

I finally saw the Hendricks-GSP fight. Horrible decision and a mild disaster for the UFC. GSP looked like a gang went at him with steel pipes by the end of the fight.

10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Thankful that Miesha Tate's team swept Rousey's last night. Now if only Miesha can finish the trifecta, I'd be happy to hear a lot less of Rousey for a least a few months, when they'll surely rematch.

One is an adult, one is a child- as shown here:

Not so pleased with Maynard's fight, but Nate was a terrible matchup for him at this stage in their career. Although Gray beat him during his run, this was an expected result.

12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    How much of it is an act and how much of it is Rousey letting the fame get to her head. I guess we'll know in December. Though granted if all the people I coached got beat, I'd probably not be a terribly happy camper either.

13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Juliet did you see the Hunt vs. Silva fight last night? Weird time here in the states, it was in Australia.

One of the best fights I've ever seen. DFW said he might buy them each their own island in addition to the win bonus. :p

15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    NBCSN airs WSOF at the moment- they're severely hamstrung by small crowds and amateur operations at their fights. I believe it was a rerun I was watching the other night, but a fighter was told just before walking out that his trainer had had illegal substances confiscated from him in the bathroom, and they told the fighter he wouldn't fight. The director of WSOF then was interviewed and had no idea what was going on.

They have some pretty solid names, probably as good as Bellator- Arlovsky, Kyle, Rumble Johnson, Fitch, and Tyson Griffin. Perhaps moving to NBC will infuse some money into the promotion for advertising, etc. Bellator is the junior competition, and they're really not very good at all- hard to survive on Bellator's table scraps.

17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  18. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    Incredible fight. I love that it was a draw too. The old saw about there being no losers in a fight is true sometimes.

19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    11 Invicta fighters signed to UFC to form 115 pound women's division.

*For those who don't know what Invicta is, it's an all - female MMA promotion. All eleven women signed will compete on the 20th season of TUF (The first all female season) to determine the first women's 115 pound champion.

I say again - Wow. To go from the belief last year (right around when StrikeForce folded) that there would be absolutely no women's division ever in UFC to having one of the highest profile Women's MMA matches coming up with Rousey/Tate II championship match and another women's division on the way late next year. Again - wow.

GSP press conference announced.

21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  22. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    The MMA message boards have of course blown up over the GSP move.

Call me crazy but Dana should have given Hendricks the belt.
    1. He was robbed with that dec
    2. Even if you somehow defend that dec an immediate rematch was clearly in order
    3. GSP vacating the title absolutely amounts to refusing to defend his belt against Hendricks specifically, not just in general.
    4. Why does Robbie Lawler deserve a title shot?

I completely understand a fight deciding a vacant title 99% of the time but this is the 1%.

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    On the other hand, you'd have MMA's detractors going "OMG, this is proof that MMA is as 'fixed/fake' as boxing/pro wrestling," (particularly as some where saying it when the GSP/Hendricks fight happened and Dana went off on that) so there was really no winning for Dana here as a fight was the lesser of two evils in this case.

24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    No problems with George stepping away. He's one of the greatest legends of the sport, and that will never change. Sure, it looks like he's scared to fight Hendricks again, but he could be having marital problems, family illnesses, etc. I'm not one to judge.

As for Hendricks, I see the logic of your points, KG- however, you set a very dangerous precedent when bucking a trend that has worked. From the business side, by giving the belt away, you also lose the very rare opportunity to create hype for a title fight in a vacated weight division, where each side does have an equal shot (none of those "you have to beat the champ" standards most challengers face). There have been so many awful decisions in this sport- the stakes for this one were just a bit higher, but the decisions have to be respected, for better or for worse.

On your last point- I'm right with you. Condit has been scrapping for that belt for a lot longer than Robbie Lawler has- he took both GSP and Hendricks to decisions, and really inflicted some damage on GSP. Lawler had a very close win over an impressive youngster, but I doubt he lasts a round with Hendricks, who is the more impressive of the two one-trick ponies who possess the same trick.

25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005