main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Let's get it on!: The Mixed Martial Arts Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by ClarkWayne, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Yeah, I think more than a few fighters will be gone. Which is good actually, it would be nice to see one sport get really serious about this.

So was GSP working to make a comeback? Odd that he hurt himself training for nothing.

Juliet316 likes this.
  2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I'm thinking it was likely for a film role. Just a hunch, though.

3. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Well, GSP wanted a break from the sport...

Juliet316 likes this.
  4. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  6. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I hope its to take a position similar to Liddell's current role to help spearhead the women's divisions administratively. Dana desperately needs another face besides Rousey's, and as an executive within Zuffa, she'd be it- she's a savvy businesswoman, as shown by her parlaying an unimpressive end to her career in SF into a second career in films.

She would be absolutely useless in the octagon, I hope she doesn't sour her reputation with a post-prime comeback. She's 32, could give plenty to the UFC and build the women's divisions from an office.

I fear I am wrong, though.

8. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    I know this is lame nit picking but Gina going into movies only proves she's hot and has an agent. I don't know we have any evidence she has any business savvy at all. I guarantee when she started to become famous through fighting that agents came calling.
    Sorry again, I could never stand her because IMO she was never a serious fighter (Gary Shaw hand selecting easy opponents, not making weight, etc.) and got out as soon as it got tough.

9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  10. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Chael better wreck him.

11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Gotta be it for Big Nog. That's 5 losses by early finish in his last 8 fights, he didn't belong in the cage with Nelson. A great legend, but like Chuck, he's stuck around far too long.

13. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    No doubt, I'm sure he could still pull off some wins but he needs to retire.

14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005

The hell? They just sent him back in after that?!

15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Can't see the video, but know what it is from Deadspin.

If its not UFC/Zuffa, Bellator, or WSOF, assume that the people running the organization and sanctioning the fights are basically Joe the Plumber and his brother Rusty. That's where MMA gets its reputation torn down, even from these pseudo-reputable obscure national circuits that have been around for awhile. WSOF is pretty bad, but their NBC deal props them up.

16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, and those organizations being so loose like that doesn't help, especially in places where MMA is still banned (like New York).

17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Jake Shields got cut after one loss. Odd, but he was making a lot of money.

Already signed muti-fight deal with WSOF.

18. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    Anyone else watching the new season of TUF?

Just saw the 1st episode. I haven't watched in a while but BJ Penn makes it a must see for me.

19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Forgot about it. Will try and catch it later.

20. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    It was your typical premiere... Bunch of fights to cut the number in half and decide who goes in the house.
    BJ did one funny thing and I saw a kind of knee bar that I've never seen before.

21. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    So I know nothing about MMA or the UFC, but I just found out that the dad of one of the girls in my daughter's preschool class is a recently retired MMA / UFC fighter (his name is Brian Stann). And apparently her mom (his wife) used to be an NFL cheerleader.

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Brian Stann is one of the baddest men to ever fight in the UFC, and he also served in the armed forces. Great fighter, and from all evidence, great human being. That's cool that your daughters are in class together.

Juliet316 likes this.
  23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Oh OK, that's cool that you know him then. I met him once at the school (before I knew this about him) and he seemed nice.

24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Yoel Romero is going to be really good in the next few years.

25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Tate vs. Carmouche was pretty decent.