main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Let's get it on!: The Mixed Martial Arts Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by ClarkWayne, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Hopefully Dana White doesn't ever take a cue from Vince McMahon and decide to kill himself off on live TV.

2. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    UFC Fight Night tonight at 9pm on Spike. Headlined by Sam Stout and Spencer Fisher.

3. JediCouncilMember

JediCouncilMember Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2003
    I thought last nights event was pretty good. Lots of finishes and a action packed main event. And with all the first round finishes they got in quite a few fights for the typical 2 hr Spike event.

Next up the Ireland PPV.

Edit:

Corretion, TUF 5 semi's on Thurs, then Ireland.

4. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    It was a good main. Fisher was landing at will, but Stout can sure take a punch. The funniest part was Joe Rogan saying that you don't get to be a kickboxing champion being a p****. Classic.

UFC Unleashed will air the Randy Couture/Tim Sylvia fight tonight for those of us too cheap to buy that PPV. I never did see that whole fight. I've seen parts, but I was on vacation at the time and couldn't get it.

5. JediCouncilMember

Jul 15, 2003
    Nate vs. Manny on the 23rd.

Nate cracks me up with his commentary and when he is talking to the camera.

Should be an action packed final since Manny seems to be a machine, I mean he was all over Joe.

BTW, anyone know what is up with Nick Diaz, where's he been?

6. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    Nate is pretty funny. He's close to Dana when it comes to dropping the f-bomb every other word. The way he was working all those submission attempts from his back last night was great.

I think Nick is serving a suspension for a positive marijuana test.

7. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Royce Gracie has been suspended for one year and fined $2000 for a positive steriod test.

8. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    Well the two mains for the TUF Finale were kind of anti-climactic. Penn pretty much had his way with Pulver and Manny just had some tough luck in his fight with the separated shoulder. I still can't believe that Maynard/Emerson ended in a no-contest. I'm not denying Maynard looked totally out, but once Emerson tapped, does it matter whether Maynard can go or not?

9. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    Wanderlei Silva has backed out of his Sept. fight with Chuck Liddell and now that show is in dire need of a main event.

Silva-Liddell fight quashed

10. PerfectCell

PerfectCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2005
    No, it's not. Fitch/Sanchez and Machida/Rua are marquee fights that are very main event worthy. While Liddell/Jardine is more of a worthy main event in the US than Silva/Liddell could ever hope to be.

11. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    Those first two might be good fights, but they aren't gonna get a lot of buys. Nobody cares about those guys other than Sanchez and he lost a bit of shine in his last fight. As for Jardine, you're nuts if you think people would rather see him fight Liddell than Silva. Silva and Rampage are probably the only two Pride guys that casual UFC fans are really concerned with, with Crocop and Henderson probably a distant 3rd and 4th. Hardcore MMA fans that followed UFC and Pride prior to the latest resurgence are a lot more knowledgable about who would make great fights, but casual fans only know a few names at this point with Silva being close to the top one. Nobody cared about Jardine before he beat Griffin and whatever rub he got off that he immediately lost when that Alexander kid knocked the snot out of him in his last fight. Liddell will draw buys regardless, but a Silva fight would easily outdraw a Jardine fight.

12. PerfectCell

Jun 3, 2005
    Silva means nothing to the US market, nothing. People need to get over this thought that because guys were big in Pride they will be big in the UFC. Cro Cop has gotten the reactions of crickets chirping so far, they could bring over Fedor to fight tommorow and he wouldn't see a dime. Jardine is a recognized fighter bhecause of his time on TUF and he would bring in a lot more people than Silva would. Just look at the complete silence that Silva was met with when he met Chuck in the cage back around UFC 66.

13. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    Now Silva is saying he wants to do the fight in November.

Silva by himself doesn't mean as much to the US market, but Silva/Liddell means a lot. Everybody knows they've been trying to put this fight together forever. Jardine means nothing at this point. Who cares if he's recognizable from TUF. There are lots of guys recognizable from TUF. That doesn't mean anybody wants to pay to see them. You've got the guys that have been good fighters after TUF like Sanchez, Koschek, or Evans. Then you have the guys that are marketable because they have interesting personalities despite their questionable post-TUF careers like Leben, Bonnar, or Griffin. Jardine has not proven himself a consistent top-level fighter yet and he has less personality than a heavy bag. He just isn't marketable yet; he's not gonna sell a PPV. You'll probably get a good fight out of him somewhere way down on the card against the right guy, but his face won't be on the poster.

14. PerfectCell

Jun 3, 2005
    People will pay to see Jardine take on Liddell because Jardine is recognizable face with a story behind him. People will pay to see Liddell fight Silva, because Liddell is involved, they could care less about Silva. Once again, take a look at the reaction that Silva was met with in the cage when he challenged Chuck back around UFC 66. That was supposed to be a huge moment for the UFC where the supposed fan dream of Silva/Liddell was finally realized, but you know what happened, no one in the arena made a sound because no one knew or cared about Silva. That hasn't changed today, Silva is a nobody in the US MMA scene and he adds nothing to a fight with Liddell.

15. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    Jardine's story is he lucked up and beat Griffin and then got his @ss handed to him in his next fight by a guy nobody ever heard of. The only difference if he fought Chuck would be he would be getting his @ss handed to him by a guy that everybody has heard of this time.

And just an opinion on my part, but I'll be curious to see if Chuck still draws like he did before Rampage "whupped his @ss." His perfect world came crashing down pretty suddenly, so he needs to make a strong statement against a big name in his next fight to retain his heat.

We'll just have to agree to disagree about what a Silva/Liddell fight draws. I think it would be huge once UFC marketing can get behind Silva to pump him up to what he is (or really, was).

16. JediCouncilMember

Jul 15, 2003
    I think Chuck will still draw people, I mean he still had a nice 2 year run and the UFC will still want to promote the heck out of him. So he lost to Rampage, that is not a terrible loss, Chuck still knocks people out. If you can do that, you'll draw viewers.

If the Silva thing doesn't happen, who would be worthy enough for a main event type fight or co-main event.
    He's basically beaten every other 205er. I mean I suppose Forrest might stand with him, but it's still might be too early for that. Jardine might be okay as well, although I really think they should take their time with Keith. Set him up with a rematch with Bonner or something.

Actually where is Brandon Vera? Is he hurt, suspended, gone?
    I'd like to see him come down to 205 and fight Chuck.

I also read it looks like BJ will be taking on the Muscle shark in Nov. That will be a heck of a card if it has the Hughes-Serra fight as well. Another 2 belt ppv. I think that is the one in NJ.

Also any word on Silva-Franklin? I'd have to say Oct. ppv since Sept has Rampage and Nov looks to be book with 2 titles as well.

Chuck could co-main event in Oct with just about anyone if you have Silva-Franklin as well.

17. JediCouncilMember

Jul 15, 2003
    I just saw this sherdog story linked from ESPN's MMA page.

Sherk

I guess BJ and Sherk is now off.

18. PerfectCell

Jun 3, 2005
    Jardine didn't luck into beating Griffin, he's a better fighter than Griffin, Griffin fans need to realize this.

Sherk versus BJ isn't off yet because Sherk is appealing the suspension, and testing positive for nandrolone doen't always mean you are actually on steroids. Out of all the roids, nandrolone is the one that's component parts most frequently appear in over the counter supplements, and because of that nandrolone cases are overturned the most out of any roid.

19. surfnazi

surfnazi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2005
    Brandon Vera has been off doing personal things (traveling etc) he's aiming to get back into things this fall. he's gonna stay in the HW division for now and plans to go LHW later on.

20. JediCouncilMember

Jul 15, 2003
    I just read on UFC's site it looks like Chuck vs. Jardine is official for Sept. 22 with Shogun Rua vs. Forrest as the other big fight for the night.

21. PerfectCell

Jun 3, 2005
    Hey everyone, I'm just checking in real quick to let everyone know that I might be on TV next week. There's this show on Versus called TapOut where these three idiots scout the country for young and promising fighters. Well, a while back they came to my gym, Curran MMA (Crystal Lake, IL) and were filming while I was rolling with the fighter they came to look at, Matt Fiordirosa. So there's a chance I may be on TV, but I'm not banking on it since while I was rolling with Matt they were taking to the owner Jeff and the main cameras were on them while only the B camera was on us. Still, this Wednesday at 9 central on Versus Cell, or Bill, himself may be on TV, cool, huh?

22. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    So did anyone watch Couture beat the **** out of Gonzaga?

Although I still believe that if Coutute's head wasn't in the right place at the right time, when he took down Gonzaga, the fight could've ended differently.

23. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I watched the pre-show buildup but not the show. Hopefully the replay will be soon. Is Couture the baddest man on the planet right now or what?

24. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    no, that would be Fedor.

25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005

From Wrestlingobserver.com:

Randy Couture suffered a fractured left forearm in blocking a kick by Gabriel Gonzaga in the third round of his UFC championship match in Las Vegas on Saturday night. According to an article by Loretta Hunt of The Fight Network, Couture never even made mention of it in the press conference after the fight except noting his arm felt sore.

He will have to have his arm put in a splint for six weeks but won't need a cast. It should not affect his filming of a "Scorpion King" movie starting in late October in South Africa.