main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Let's get it on!: The Mixed Martial Arts Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by ClarkWayne, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Thoughts on last night? Other than it was as perfect away for Faber to go out as possible (even without the submission)?

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Sucked seeing Paige lose. She'll be back stronger, though.

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Paige panicked when she got taken down, you could see it on her face. She managed to calm down when Waterson went for the choke and fought it hard, but it was too late by then. Still, she's 22. She has plenty of time.

Gall got caught a few times and I found myself hoping he would lose just because I don't like his mouth.

Glad to see Mike Perry get flustered, too.

Juliet316 likes this.
  4. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Gall called out Dan Hardy after the fight.

5. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Calling out a former pro wrestler with zero career fights. Calling out a guy coming back from four years off due to a heart condition.

Someone embarrass this guy, please.

Juliet316 likes this.
  6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I don't mind Mickey Gall that much. Certainly preferred seeing him win over the apple ripping gent.

7. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I had to look that up. Indeed he does come off as a powerful douchebro, which I got a whiff of during the fight but thought maybe I was being superficial. Google shows me that it was far worse than I suspected. Jesus, this guy.

I actually considered a glorious double KO for a half second, but such perfect karma is too much to hope for.

Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  8. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    So Mark Hunt has evidently mended things with UFC as he's fighting Allistair Overeem at UFC 209.

9. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Does he still have that active lawsuit, Juliet? He has every right to be angry over the Lesnar thing, though. Hunt is the last guy I'd expect to complain, honestly, so when he does, it means something.

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    It doesn't seem like he actually filed anything official re: the lawsuit, but I'd expect Brock being suspended for one year and their fight ruled a 'No Contest' helped.

heels1785 likes this.
  11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Interesting. I wonder if Dana or the new owners agreed to inflate his purse vs. Overeem if he keeps the legal eagles quiet and the lawsuit off. Would not be surprised - could potentially hit the UFC pretty hard for their perceived unique treatment of Lesnar.

Juliet316 likes this.
  12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    In the least shocking news ever, Cris Cyborg is underwater with the USADA again. Claims it was medicinal to treat ovarian cysts formed as a result of weight cut.

13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    There's apart of me that wants to give her the benefit of the doubt since this is coming off the heels of her Outside the Lines interview and the announcement of the Women's Featherweight division, but the other part of me is like "Once a cheater, always a cheater."

In other news: The Nevada Athletic Commission is refusing to sanction Cain Velasquez for his 207 fight with Werdum. So the match is off.

Also, Brad Pickett says he wants a retirement match at the March 18th Fight Night in London.

14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Heavy rumors online that Mike Goldberg is gone after UFC 207.

15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Hendricks missed weight for the third fight in a row. He's on the undercard, too.

Ouch.

16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Good grief.

17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Watched the weigh ins. Rousey made weight then quickly walked off.

18. NotSoScruffyLooking

NotSoScruffyLooking Jedi Master star 3

Mar 20, 2009
    I wonder how close a fight between Rousey and CM Punk would be.

19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    So this main event tonight is going to be interesting. Nunes wins with her first round aggression through her punches. Ronda wins with her first round aggression through her submissions.

If I had to bet, I'd say this one lasts no longer than 2 rounds. Ronda is in the best shape of her life, but Holm exposed her chin. On the other hand, while Nunes has never tangled with a submission threat like Ronda, she has a respectable ground game.

To win, give me Smolka, Cruz, Magny, Dillashaw, and I think Ronda gets the belt back by surviving the first round, and then taking advantage of a tired Nunes with a 2nd round armbar.

20. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    That sounds about right. We will see how a year off from fighting impacts her stamina.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Juliet316 likes this.
  21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Announced fight purses for the main event tonight:

Rousey - $3 million plus PPV cut
    Nunes - $100,000 plus PPV cut

Makes me rather ill. I'm all for the women's division getting the same kind of money that McGregor and Lesnar rake in. I just wish there wasn't a $2.9 million dollar gap, favoring the fighter who currently has no belt.

Juliet316 likes this.
  22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    HOLY COW.

Nunes wins via TKO just seconds into the fight.

Ronda got 3 million to take one giant punch.

Juliet316 likes this.
  23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Smells like retirement up in here...

24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Can't say I feel sorry for her. She behaved so poorly while at the top, and even so tonight. In contrast, Miesha, who was treated like a dog by Ronda, is on Fox Sports speaking so highly of her and her impact on women around the world.

One thing I am worried about is..

her health. In addition to likely being concussed severely - if she was being truthful about her mental state after the Holm loss, facing the end of her career and likely the end of her being a draw in any entertainment or sports event is going to be even tougher. I hope she has a good support structure.

Edit - one more thing. Very fortunate that Herb Dean was working this fight, and knew to step in when he did. There are a lot of trash referees that won't stop a fight until a head bounces off of the canvas. Herb got in there right when he needed to, because he is experienced and smart. Kudos to him.

Juliet316 and Darth_Furio like this.
  25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002

Apparently Cro Cop won something called the Rizin World Grand Prix Championship.

Juliet316 likes this.