main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Let's get it on!: The Mixed Martial Arts Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by ClarkWayne, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    heels1785 I was obviously wrong about Ronda. She is done and it appeared that her head was never truly in the game. Not sure whether that was because her heart was focused on her career outside of MMA or some medical question (i.e., concussion).

heels1785 likes this.
  2. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    There has been strong rumours in the last week or so that Ronda is in talks with the WWE . Her named was linked to the "big name", who is meant to face Sasha Banks at WestleMania. One thing was for certain during the build up to this fight, Rousey's head really wasn't in the game. At the press conference, she seemed as if she didn't want to be there at all.

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005

Could say the same about trash judges in the Big Rig/Magney fight.

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I took issue with the judging of that fight. I thought Hendricks was in command the whole time - which surprised me, as I expected him to lose.

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    When Magny was announced the winner I went "What the Hell?!

Edit: And with all the focus on Ronda getting beat like she did, it slipped under the radar that Garbrandt beat Cruz for the Men's Bantamweight title.

heels1785 likes this.
  6. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    ronda needs to retire and leave the ufc. her head wasn't in the game she completely gave up after 2 punches. i blame a lot of it on her coaching team they have mistreated her for a long time and it looks like she learnt nothing from the holm ko. was a bad look for mma something bad could of happened yesterday she had no business being in the cage in that head space.

she will always be a legend of the sport and putting womens mma on the map.

i just wish she actually joined a real proper team and coaches who taught her how to actually defend the stand up game.

think she will retire and head to the wwe good money not many dates etc.

if she does keep fighting she needs to take time off and get her head right and then knuckle down with a proper coach

7. yeurgh

yeurgh Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2016
    What the bloody hell was she thinking?

I get that she bought into her own hype before the Holm fight but that fight should've taught her that she can't go toe-to-toe with a good striker. Yet she clearly went in against Nunes with the intention of boxing... wtf?! There was that one attempt at a clinch but that was clearly desperation after taking a pummeling. I think it would've been close if the fight had gone to the ground - Nunes holds a BJJ black belt - but she'd have stood a better than evens chance. I get that her coach was full of **** but Rousey has to take some of the blame for buying into it.

You can never write off someone with her mental strength but it's difficult to see how she could come back from this, even with a good coach.

Juliet316 likes this.
  8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Ronda stated, I think just before the Holmes fight, that she wanted to set a legacy as the best fighter ever and that meant out-striking a striker.

9. yeurgh

yeurgh Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2016
    But she got her reality check in that fight.

She should know that it takes 5-10 years of assiduous practice to become really good at something. You can't box against an elite striker who's put in that practice unless you have too. I get how she lost her grip on reality but the Holm fight really should've brought her back down to earth.

10. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Yeah, it should have been a wake up, but looks like she and her camp had other ideas.

I just caught a clip of Joe Rogan talking about who's the best MMA fighter ever and he seemed to come to either Silva or Fedor. he mentioed Demetrious Johnson with 9 straight wins right now. I looked up a highlight reel. 5' 3" 125lbs. Here ya go:

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I only took an interest in the Rhonda Rousey fight because I've been watching Joe Rogan podcasts, and he's a big fan of hers. So I have no indepth knowledge of what the hell is going on.

So, I thought it was bad form that UFC(?) hyped Rousey more than the current champion, Amanda Nunes.

From podcasts on the subject, it looks like this Rousey was a girl after my own heart, a grappler - jujitsu or judo - and was known for that, but whomever her coach was preparing her for this comeback, persuaded her that she could stand toe-to-toe with a skilled boxer.

Should have gone for the Morote-Gari (Double Leg Pull), Luv, and taken Amanda to the ground.

12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    It was an impossible situation, looking back. The key to beating Nunes is enduring her predictable first round onslaught - all three of her losses in major competition have come in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. All but one of her victories in major competition have come in the 1st round.

Her hands are very, very quick - and Ronda has a chin like Chuck Liddell. Can't take more than a few shots before she withers. Zingano is the last to beat Nunes - I think she, and possibly Julianna Pena, are the ones who can stand with Nunes long enough to wait for her to gas out and weaken.

13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Pena is going up against Valentina Shevchenko in a few weeks. Will probably be an eliminator match for Nunes next contender.

14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Wonderboy and Woodly are set for a rematch at UFC 209!

15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Tito goes out a winner. Chael shouldn't dream of fighting again, that was absolute humiliation.

18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Neither should B.J Penn for that matter. Also judging continues to be horrific.

19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Huh. Well that's not the way I thought the ME Saturday would end.

20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    So apparently the UFC is going to try again to debut Rashad Evans at Middleweight, this time at UFC209 in Vegas.

And Dana White has all but confirmed Romero will be Bisping's next title defense.

21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  22. bizzbizz

Dec 16, 2015
    ryan bader joining bellator

23. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Great card last night. The women really stole the show.

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. bizzbizz

Dec 16, 2015
    welcome back korean zombie

Mikaboshi and Juliet316 like this.
  25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    OSP looked slow and gassed, just like he did in his last fight. Time to leave the bum**** gym in Knoxville and join a proper team.