main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Let's get it on!: The Mixed Martial Arts Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by ClarkWayne, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Yep, I saw that. Moreno looked insanely happy after that fight.

2. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Good, it's looooong overdue. I've noticed quite a few fighters who don't really fit in at 135 or 115. They can't make 115, and they make small, flabby 135ers. This division should unlock their true potential.

I've been wanting this for a while. The division should fill up quickly.

Thanks for delivering the pleasant news, Juliet.

Juliet316 likes this.
  4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Hell yeah. Paige should be much more competitive at 125, she's openly asked for this. The fear is that JJ will move up and wipe this division out, too.

Mikaboshi and Juliet316 like this.
  5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005

LOL, it all comes down to Paige doesn't it heels1785 ;)

Just teasing you, seriously, it's great that the women are now getting a division between 115 and 135.

heels1785 likes this.
  6. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  7. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Thanks to Jessica Penne, I had to look up what Biological Passport means.

Mikaboshi likes this.
  8. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Anyone watching 211? Pretty stoked for JJ vs Andrade.

And now thanks to Juliet I also know what a Biological Passport is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Who says you can't learn something everyday?

10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I think 2-3 fights on the card have potential - Alvarez, Frankie, and maybe Maia.

I predict a poor response to the card, though. Cigano has no business fighting for the title.

Mikaboshi likes this.
  12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    DC embraces being a heel at the summer kickoff press conference earlier today and ends up getting cheered. Figures.:p

13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Oh man, it looks like Herb Dean made a rare, but colossal mistake.

14. SergeyX2017

SergeyX2017 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 14, 2017

Tai chi v MMA: The 20-second fight that left China reeling

lol Not sure why a Tai chi guy would even be trying to fight, it's not really a combat art...

But, anyway, I actually don't believe traditional, old school martial arts are necessarily inferior to MMA. That guy in above video was just a fraud, not even a real master, that's why the MMA guy actually fought him, to expose him.

Here is an actual Wing Chun Kung Fu (Ip Man's style, yes :D) master against a Muay Thai guy

:D Poor mirror lol

WC vs. karate

WC fighter spars with a boxer in Russia

(WC guy is deliberately not using kicks, to make it more fair to the boxer hehe)

It's popular in Russia, you know, Wing Chun, it has spread there from China, they now have their own schools and all
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Honestly, in real life, a real practitioner of Wing Chun, in my personal opinion, would beat a basic MMA fighter, like the guy in that video.

This is why
    [​IMG]

MMA is a combat sport, but its still a sport. Wing Chun was originally developed for combat, period. Striking at the groin (above), banned in MMA, is totally normal there. In fact, it's all about hitting the center of the body: groin, solar plexus, throat, nose, forehead. There are many vulnerable points along the center of the body. Wing Chun teaches how to hit all of them. It was originally developed by a woman, so it is also designed to defend against a bigger, stronger opponent ;)

I don't know, I just, honestly, do prefer traditional martial arts to modern MMA. There is more discipline and philosophy and history, and actual ART. Not just throwing kicks and punches. Just my opinion.

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    cigano, retire pls. please. go spend 60 yrs training generations of great brazillian fighters while you have a shot at health.

there's nothing more you can do. hell of a career, one of my favorite fighters ever. when it was good, it was really good. it's really bad now. it's been really bad for about 3 years.

16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Dos Santos was more worthy of a title shot than, say, Alistair Overeem IMO.

Unfortunately this PPV will be more remembered by Herb Dean's rare, terrible call in the Poirier/Alverez match than anything else.

17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    it's hard to say. overeem has certainly looked better collectively over the last 3-4 years, including a beatdown of cigano. but stipe destroyed overeem when they fought late last year. he'll get another shot sometime, most likely.

the heavyweight division is just very shallow, at the moment.

18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Do you think the winner of the Hunt/Lewis fight gets the next title shot against Stipe?

Or to put it another way: If Derrick Lewis destroys Mark Hunt in his next fight, should he get the next title shot?

heels1785 likes this.
  19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    no if hunt - maybe if lewis, but i don't think the dates line up. i think it will be the winner of werdum-overeem, and they'll let stipe rest a bit until the end of the year. he fought jan/may/sept last year, and then got hurt in his next camp - this was his first fight of 2017 - even though tonight was relatively easy, i don't think dana will take a chance on losing a potential premier hw title fight in a big year-end card by trying to slip in an august/september bout.

edit - i guess if overeem/werdum is awful, and lewis destroys hunt, they could make that the match. i personally think lewis needs one more fight after hunt - he has beaten a string of bad/aging fighters.

20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    We shall see. To be honest, I thought Werdum was going to get a rematch with Stipe after the fight with Velasquez fell through instead of Stipe fighting Dos Santos

heels1785 likes this.
  21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    dos santos :p dos anjos is a WW - but a good one!

cain is the wild card. if he can get healthy and motivated, throw everything out the window - it's a bit like the cormier situation - dan and stipe are recognized as great champs, and each have bludgeoned their best active competition (werdum and formerly rumble) - but they both have that lingering doubt, because of that one guy, the phantom they have to chase. dan may put that to rest in july against bones, i hope stipe gets a shot at cain at some point.

Juliet316 likes this.
  22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Provided Jones doesn't screw - up again.

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    keep your fingers crossed. i want to see cormier beat the crap out of him, personally, but even though I dislike him as a fighter, I hope jon redeems himself a bit as a human being

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I hope for both as well. Maybe getting beat will humble Jones a bit.

As for tonight, I don't think I've see a cluster**** as I did in the ending of the Poirier/Alverez match.

25. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

Nah, it will be forgotten, I think the Sherman-Coulter brawl will probably be the most memorable.

Overeem did turn Stipe's lights out for a split second, but as usual Stipe recovered in like half a second and stormed back.

The winner of Overeem-Werdum seems the likely choice for the next title shot.

Lewis and Ngannou look like the next gen. Ngannou is still very green, and Lewis appears very vulnerable, though.

I think Cain is still the best heavyweight, it's just a matter of health with him; a serious matter.