main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Let's get it on!: The Mixed Martial Arts Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by ClarkWayne, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Frank Mir with an unbelievable fight tonight. Almost perfect, and just dominating.

Can't wait for the unification bout!

2. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I actually watched the fights tonight (for the second time ever)... a friend of mine hosted a bunch of us getting together to watch them, and I went more to hang out with them than to watch, but thats just me.

Mir was dominating, that is for certain. Also, some impressive showings from Rampage Jackson and Rashad Evans (in the third round, at least).

What was highly amusing, though, was that the friend who hosted it also made a bunch of picks, and for second straight year that he's done this, got every single one of them wrong. He even at the beginning guaranteed that we would see a particular prelim fight, and apparently it was the one and only one they didn't show. [face_laugh]

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Fedor vs Arlovski tonight.

COUNTDOWN

It's easy to predict Fedor but make no mistake that Arlovski is badass. Also, even though you can watch the whole thing on youtube, lesnar vs Corture is on Spike tonight.

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    That fight just doesn't interest me enough to compete for my attention against Cavs-Jazz

5. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    And the legend continues...

From a blog I was reading for upates:

Round 1: This fight is underway. Arlovski throws a jab, Fedor backs up. Nice leg kick from Arlovski. Arlovski throws a solid punch and Fedor backs off a bit. Arlovski is pressing the action early. Another leg kick from Arlovski. Fedor misses with a right hand. Big body punch from Fedor. Arlovski lands one to Fedor's chin, and now they're in a clinch. Arlovski tried to throw Fedor down but Fedor overpowered him, and they're still on their feet. They're clinching and kneeing, with a little dirty boxing. Arlovski lands a knee, Fedor is holding on tight. Big John breaks them up. We're halfway through the round. Arlovski lands a leg kick. Arlovski is more or less executing his game plan. Arlovski with a kick and then Fedor knocks him out!

6. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    It was yet another stunning first-round win for Fedor, who looked sluggish in the early going but simply saw an opening, threw one punch, and knocked Arlovski out cold. Fedor showed again why he's a legend and retained his title as the sport's undisputed heavyweight champion.Arlovski had been controlling the first round with his superior stand-up game, but all it took was Arlovski leaving himself exposed for a split second, and Fedor calmly landed a brutal strike directly to Arlovski's chin. Arlovski was knocked unconscious at 3:34 of the first round.

After the fight, Emelianenko said, "I really didn't think I would knock him out but it happened. You don't expect it to happen but it did... I had a feeling he was going to make a mistake and I was waiting to capitalize."

Emelianenko, who improved his professional MMA record to 29-1, is expected to fight Josh Barnett some time later this year. Barnett defeated Gilbert Yvel in tonight's co-main event.

7. JediCouncilMember

JediCouncilMember Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2003
    I read about the Fedor fight, man I'd really like to see him in the UFC. I just can't afford to buy PPVs just to see him. I suppose after Barnett he's got no one else to fight. Maybe they'd finally swing a 3-4 fight deal but there is no way UFC will let the exclusivity slide. Heck if Fedor would just commit 1 year to UFC only he could fight Randy then Mir/Brock, then 1 more. If he's champ the UFC would try to resign him then and if he isn't he'd be free to fight whereever he wants.

Big one this weekend, BJ vs. GSP. Can't wait for that. :D

8. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    St. Pierre has this locked IMO.

BJ hasn't been good in a while.

9. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    anyone else watching UFC 94?

Good first televised bout. Nice action, fun to watch. Guida looked good, Diaz never looked comfortable.

edit: That spinning elbow from Jon Jones ... wow. That was freaking sweet.

10. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I would liked to have seen St-Piere vs BJ, but there has been CONTROVERSY

B.J. Penn has filed a formal request for investigation to the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) claiming that St-Pierre used an illegal "greasing" agent on his body during the fight.[10] His trainers announced that they intend to file a formal complaint with the organization, accusing St-Pierre of using similar tactics during his previous bouts.[11] NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer confirmed that improprieties had occured in St-Pierre's corner. He witnessed St-Pierre's cornermen Phil Nurse apply Vaseline to St-Pierre's face and then immediately rub St-Pierre's shoulders and back before Nurse wiped his hands. Kizer had St-Pierre's back wiped down after the second round, and confirmed after the third round that no Vaseline was being applied. Kizer was critical of the cornermen's actions, but expressed doubts that the controversy would overturn St-Pierre's victory.[12]

St-Pierre's trainer Greg Jackson denied any wrongdoing, claiming that Nurse was rubbing and tapping on St-Pierre's body as part of a drill to aid in his breathing techniques. Jackson said that any Vaseline transfered from residue on Nurse's fingers was accidental and wiped off when pointed out.[13] Georges St. Pierre spoke to Sports Illustrated with regard to the controversy stating, "I haven't seen the fight yet, but I remember at some point something happened and the athletic commission was complaining. They used a towel to wet my back and wipe it off. I don't mind. I didn't put Vaseline on myself and I'm not a cheater."

FYI: Fedor is not invincible

On November 16, 2008, Fedor's first loss in Sambo in eight years came at the Combat Sambo World Championships St. Petersburg, Russia, where he fell in the semifinals of the over 220-pound division to 23-year old Bulgarian Blagoi Ivanov on points 8 to 5. Fedor finished the tournament in 3rd place.[67]

11. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Danzig just tapped out to Neer. :(

Good match, but Danzig never got control, even for a second. He went big early, and Neer got a good counter/block, and never looked back.

12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Matt Hamill is quickly becoming one of my favorite fighters in the sport. Very good fight tonight, as he dominated from the start, and got a brutal knockout on a kick to the head.

And, a fantastic way to play to his home state crowd by using "Hang on Sloopy" as his entrance music. Gotta love a guy who knows how to play to the crowd.

13. JediCouncilMember

Jul 15, 2003
    Yeah, that was an awesome kick. He keeps getting better and better too and is always in his fights. I personally think he beat Bisping and no shame in losing to Franklin, so he could start to see a some of the upper tier fighters. Heck he could face Jardine or something.

Which brings me to the Main Event, I really couldn't stand Rashad's homerisms in that fight. I'm glad Rampage won and if he's able to go in May I hope he takes out Rashad.

14. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I hated the end of UFC 96. The Rampage/Evans showdown/war of words ... it looked like too much WWE stuff to me. I hated it.

Love the fight though. I think if that fight ends after four minutes, Jardine probably wins it, but Rampage closed very well.

And very true on Hammil. I thought he won that match, too, but even with the Bisping loss, his only losses are that one and Franklin. No doubt that's nothing to be stressed about. I'd like to see him take on the bigger names now, too. Jardine would be ok. Griffin, as well.

15. JediCouncilMember

Jul 15, 2003
    Yeah, the stare down at the end was a bit much. I don't mind usually if they come in they say "let's do it" to each other or whatever, but you're right the prolonged back and forth gibberish was a bit WWE.

I think Hammil could take Griffin, IF Hammil chooses to take him down and GnP him, but if he stays and stands then who knows.

I think next up is the Silva-Leites (sp?) PPV with Chuck and Rua.

Given all the ups and downs with the 205ers, Chuck could be 2 wins away from another shot. I'd like to see Machida get his shot too.

16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Machida NEEDS to get a shot at the winner of Rampage-Evans. Period.

17. JediCouncilMember

Jul 15, 2003
    It looks like that might happen sooner.

I just read Rampage might need surgery for his jaw (older injury???) and/or wrist. So it looks like it might be Evans-Machida at UFC 98.

18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'd be glad to see it. I've never been a big Rampage fan. I don't think he's very sound technically, but has enough God-given ability to survive the flaws in his game long enough to land enough big shots to carry him to wins.

19. JediCouncilMember

Jul 15, 2003
    Anyone watch the WEC last night?*

The Torres fight was 5 rounds of awesomeness.

* - yes I get the VS. network.

20. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Had no idea it was on, to be honest.

21. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Anyone get a chance to watch the Sanchez vs Guida fight? That was 3 rounds of awsome right there.

Haven't had the opportunity to see Machida vs Evans yet though, but am glad that Machida won. Never did like Evans.

22. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    Did you see that kick in the first round?

Diego is a monster now. He's tearing guys apart.

LESNAR V. MIR will be interesting. Hopefully Lesnar learned from the last time.

-B

23. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    That first round rocked. Right from the start you could tell it was going to be good.

Surprised that Guida got up after taking that kick, that was KO material if ever I saw it.

A few guys from work are thinking about getting together and pitching in to get the UFC 100 PPV, we all want to see Mir get crushed. He is extremely lippy, and while he is good he just comes across as an ahole. Personally I think Mir just got lucky in that last match, he was being handled by Lesnar at will....then Mir just got lucky and got a hold on Lesnar's ankle.

So, anyone have any thoughts on Kimbo Slice being on TUF 10? I have mixed feelings. I like the thought of him making it into the UFC, but find myself questioning his ability. He has solid stand-up, but little else, at least based on what he has shown in the past. Hopefully he did a lot of work over the past year to strengthen his game.

24. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I don't think it was luck on Mir's part, but it was a rookie mistake on Lesnar's (the head punch, no submit defense). I think this match will be much closer. Depends how much Lesnar has improved his JJ defense, because I'm sure he easily has the power advantage.

25. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    He's been more powerful than all the people he has faced. I don't see Lesnar losing this one. He's probably been working on his ground game, his stand up is amazing, and he'll be a bit more careful and he'll pull it out.

Definitely do not see this going the distance.

As for Kimbo Slice, nice to see Dana giving him a shot, but I don't know if he will go the distance.

What do you guys think about GSP v. Thiago Alves?

This is going to be an amazing fight. Both are great fighters, both good ground game, Thiago may be a little stronger, but not strong enough to make a big difference. GSP is rampaging as well.

-B-