JCC [Let's get smarter] ITT we compare, contrast and talk about important things

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheGuardianofArlon, Feb 28, 2012.

1. TheGuardianofArlon Force Ghost

star 6
    In this thread we discuss two things and how they relate, not relate, or etc with each other. So let's start off with a serious subject.

What is the difference between a Sunni Muslim and a Shiite Muslim?

Supposedly (just going from head knowledge) the split is due to the disagreement over who should of come after Muhammad. But I'm sure now there is more difference than just that.

So what do you know?
  2. Lord Vivec Force Ghost

star 7
    The more important question is what's the difference between Muslims and Islams.
  3. harpua Chosen One

star 8
  4. TheGuardianofArlon Force Ghost

star 6
    :eek:

How do you do that?
  5. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    I read the part in brackets with the voice of the woman with frizzy hair and leg warmers who appeared in every '80s workout video. Now I want to Jazzercize my brain or something.
  6. Eeth-my-Koth Chosen One

star 9
    Well we all have different things that important to us. What might be important to me is not important to Kate.

Such as, waxing versus shaving versus chemical removal versus laser removal of hair to lady parts.
  7. AcklayComeHome Force Ghost

star 7
    What's the difference between a duck?
  8. Ghost Chosen One

star 6
    There's a lot of cultural differences between the two, and they have different traditions and histories since they split so long ago. But even before Mohammed died, there were factions evolving within Islam.

Like how even though George Washington warned against political parties, but even while he was president the Federalists and Anti-Federalists/Democratic-Republicans were beginning to form.

Even before Mohammed died, there were some splits within the Muslim community. There were even some Muslim radicals (not Sunni or Shia) who wanted to kill Mohammed, claiming he was not a true Muslim!

Sunni Muslims are overall more like Protestant Christians, and Shia Muslims are overall more like Catholic Christians. Except in Christianity, Protestants came from Catholics, while in Islam, Shia came from Sunni.

The Shiite Muslims put more emphasis on bloodlines, centralized leadership, and imams (similar to saints, but hereditary).

The Sunni Muslims are more decentralized and democratic (in their religious organizations), religion tends to be secondary to the government, and they emphasize each individual's connection to the Quran, and especially each individual's relationship to the community as well as the interdependence of the communities. Community in Arabic is Ummah.

The Shiite Muslims reject many Sunni traditions because they reject many of the founders of Sunni Islam, which for the first few decades was the only recognized brand of Islam. The customs of the Prophet Mohammed are called the Sunnah in Arabic, which were recorded by some of those early founders and companions of Mohammed that the Shiite Muslims distrust. "Sunnah" is where Sunni get their name from, they are the Muslims who have turned Mohammed's personal customs (according to those early accounts) into their people's traditions. The Shia only trust the immediate family who were loyal to Mohammed, and Mohammed's descendants. The Shia believe that Ali (cousin of Mohammed, and the first male convert) should have succeeded Mohammed, and Shia means "followers of Ali."

Sunni Muslims believed that the successor should be elected, while Shia Muslims believed only God can appoint the successor (and that since God appointed Mohammed, he also appointed his bloodline).

Today, neither Sunni nor Shia recognize a leader or a successor to Mohammed.

The last Shia successor/leader was the 12th Imam, who vanished in the 800's.

The power of last Sunni successor/leader, the Caliph, was abolished after the Ottoman Empire's defeat in World War I. Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, the founder of modern Turkey, transferred the remaining political power of the caliphate to the new parliament of democratic and secular Turkey. But even before World War I, the Caliph had become a political figurehead and was no longer viewed as the spiritual successor to Mohammed or the spiritual leader of Sunni Islam anyways.

Both Sunni and Shia believe in the "Six Beliefs" and follow the "Five Pillars." All Muslims believe that Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses, and Jesus were major prophets of Islam. Muslims also believe that Jesus is the Messiah, who will return in the end-times to save the world and establish the Kingdom of God, they just don't believe he was ever killed and don't believe being the Messiah means being the Son of God. The Bible is viewed as a sacred book in Islam, they just believe some of it was corrupted or misinterpreted by the early Christians.

Six Beliefs: (1) belief in the one and only God. They also believe that God has reached out to humanity in three ways, the (2) A
  9. Sith-Lord-Gunray Chosen One

star 6
    Shall I drink tonight, or shant I drink tonight?
  10. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 6
  11. Ghost Chosen One

star 6
    Yeah, but it was good practice for me, was just talking about it with someone the other week :p
  12. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Your bolding means I only read "(1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)"

How's about a bolded sentence or two?
  13. MrZAP Force Ghost

star 5
    More importantly, why does weighing the same as a duck make you a witch? I mean, I know what the movie says, but there must be some more scientific jargon behind it. Can Vivec or Quix help out with that?
  14. Vengance1003 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Exactly what is a duck?
  15. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    [image=http://contrastmagazine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/important-things-with-demetri-martin.jpg]
  16. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Getting dismissed without scoring a run.