main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So NV Lets make a game

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Acthar_Sm-Ith, Jul 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acthar_Sm-Ith

Acthar_Sm-Ith Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2002
    Here's an idea, let's all colaborate on making a game. Since we all play games a LOT, I am sure that we can come up with something really outstanding. I think this can best be done through a series polls and open discussions. The game doesn't have to be Star Wars based,or even sci-fi based. it can be abstract, fantasy, or anything really. I will start off this whole process in the first poll: what type of game should it be.

2. GersonSith

GersonSith Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    Good idea!

3. Jankarakk

Jankarakk Jedi Master star 4

Aug 27, 2003
    i like this idea....i've always wanted to make a game but never been creative enough on my own to go through with it heh.

4. Acthar_Sm-Ith

May 23, 2002
    well if we do in fact go the sci-fi route, and it looks like we are going RPG route, I have a really awesome story line we can use. but that is IF we go sci-fi and IF we go rpg. I am currently using it to make a CCG.

5. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    I voted CCG, because I was already working on a CCG for Aqua Teen Hunger Force... but I'm on board with whatever the group decides.

6. Axia_Euxine

Axia_Euxine Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2003
    lets make an Alias RPG or Card game, I could make up grpahics and stuff for the game

7. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    An ALIAS CGG would be neat.

8. Acthar_Sm-Ith

May 23, 2002
    ok, well I for one am avidly opposed to using copyrighted material. the problem with something like Alias which is heavily story-driven and close ended (you can't have too many side stories when the main story pretty much goes from one episode to the next) is that you get stuck doing whatever the writers of the tv show have already written. that was my major gripe about the Decipher Star Wars card game. it felt like they made the game around the story already there instead of having the freedom to make up their own story. the other problem is, what if the game turns out really good and we want to market it? then we are stuck trying to get teh production studio to give us the rights to use that idea. I think we should keep our stories original.

9. Talon_Wolfe

Talon_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 8, 2002
    Okay, I have an idea:

An RPG based on Geeks. Classes could be Video Game, Engineer, Computer, Accountant, Musician/Band, Foreigner, Slacker

Prestige Classes could be: Web Designer, Sys Admin, Accountant, etc....

It would be fun coming up with the classes and feats. We could make it d20 because of the Open Gaming License (read: free use of rules with no copyright infringment)

Remember the 'Creepy' feat? We could put it in this game....

10. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    That's a great idea!

Geeks adventures could be anything from Getting an Autograph from a Borg, to running all over town trying to get the new issue of Vampirella, or even waiting a week in line for Episode 3 tickets!

Bad guys could include rival geeks, Comic Book owners, jocks, Hollywood execs (when they screw up a comic book licence), and your mother!

... and this could easily be adapted into a CCG.

11. Inaen

Inaen Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 17, 2002
    Great cotton-pickin' idea Talon.

whew...g00d 7h1ng 1m n07 a g33k...

12. Acthar_Sm-Ith

May 23, 2002
    well, i don't know if this would put a damper on it, but there is already a game in the works like that. I like the idea though. I suppose we could make a BETTER game than they can put out. that would rock.

13. Acthar_Sm-Ith

May 23, 2002
    here are some ideas for "races:"

-Nerd - akin to Human in D&D or SW. No specific benefit

-Geek - increased defence (from repeated beatings) but decreased charisma (from repeated beatings)

-Dork - increased charisma (they are the life of any nerd party) but decreased defence (not in the face!)

-Techie - increased wisdom (from years of trial and error) but decreased charisma (from wasting years on doing trial and error)

-Brainiac - increased intelligence but decreased defence

notice how none of them have anything to do with strength or dexterety? when do any of you actually use those in your daily lives? never!

14. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    Dexterity... hand eye coordination... video games...

15. Acthar_Sm-Ith

May 23, 2002
    well i am thinking more along the lines of running, jumping, and getting out of the way of things

16. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    That is hilarious!

Acthar, if you tell us absolutely nothing about that other geek game, then we will be less likely to steal their ideas, etc.

17. Inaen

Inaen Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 17, 2002
    need to include

Gamer....increased dexterity (videogames) decreased
    defense (sitting on fat behind)
    decerased money (no job)

18. Acthar_Sm-Ith

May 23, 2002
    well each character has two things "race" and "job" just like "race" and "class" from SW.

so we can add "gamer" to the "races," but it shouldn't have any impact on money. I am a gamer, and I have money.

19. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    Okay, go here:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/20040121a

The system reference docs are the complete rule sets for generic d&d d20, as well as modern d20.

I think we should make our game more of a modern d20 compatable thing.

All the other stuff we need to make this happen for free is also on that page. I volunteer Acthar to wade through the legal stuff.

20. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    I second that!

21. Acthar_Sm-Ith

May 23, 2002
    i suppose I could wade through it all. it didn't look too daunting. I will read it all through saturday. We need a name for our little "company" here. I think it should be called "Cynix"

22. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    Howabout "MoronDude". Yeah, I like it!

23. Acthar_Sm-Ith

May 23, 2002
    yes, that is a wonderful idea for a company name. I can see it now:

"Hey did you see the new game from MoronDude?"
    "no!"
    "me either, for the name detered me from looking at it further!"
    "we can both agree that the name MoronDude prevents good sales!"