main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD Let's Make Some Battlestar Costumes

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Murder_Sandwhich, May 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    Very nice!

2. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    Gosh, that is such nice work! I take it they are from the same place I got mine??

3. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    Yes, I got these from Dewback Wing. The supplier, MJF, is actually getting rid of some of his old stock at pretty good prices. I'd suggest anyone who's interested head here.

If that link doesn't work, then go here instead and scoll down to the "BSG New Series Costumes". Then look for the "Limited offer, get those Holiday gifts now" thread.

I'm a little annoyed though, the pilot wings don't go on the BDU costume! Better get started working on those Blues as soon as I can...

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

4. starfire-phoenix

Jan 2, 2004
    Ohhhh, thanks for the heads up!

5. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Hello all.

I was doing a google search for battlestar galactica costumes mainly trying to see if one particular site showed up on it and I discovered this on the google search. I'm not from Australia and while I only skimmed this thread, I thought I may have some information for you all. One of the sites that I use to help me with costuming is Stormhaven run by a friend of mine at the colonial fleet and it has a ton of useful information on the BSG costumes in one location.

I'm not trying to promote the colonial fleet website, but I just wanted to share with my fellow JCers the stormhaven site. I hope it helps!

6. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    The second component of my BSG Costume arrived today:

[image=http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b241/Darcrider/BDUConversionKit.jpg]

This is to add the patches and clips to a standard set of BDUs to make them more look like the green duty uniforms from the show. And no, I haven't worked out where every thing goes yet.

Fortunately the guy who sold me the kit, lostncybr, has an album up showing how to assemble the BDUs. Unfortunately, the photos aren't in order.

Its guessing time!

As for the other parts, my dog tags have apparently shipped, so I'll get those sometime within the next two weeks. Unfortunately, the most important part, the actual BDUs, haven't shipped yet. Since I ordered them in Brisbane, I thought they'd be the first to arrive. Ah well.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

7. Last_Chael

Feb 25, 2006
    If you can possibly wait til after Nova, I'll give you a hand with them :D I'll need to get me a set of dogtags! What's on yours?

8. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    Thanks for the offer mei-mei. I may take you up on it.

The tags will look like this:

[image=http://www.thestormhaven.com/images/costuming/DogtagLee.jpg]

Except possibly a bit cleaner initially. :p

I was hoping to get a generic set of dogtags, but I missed the cut off point for ordering. these became available about a week later, so I thought why not.

However, a company called Quantum Mechanix is releasing a series of seven sets of dogtags according to this advertisment. Considering the price, it may be the better option to take.

Quantum Mechanix's website is here.

And I see they have a replica of Mal's sidearm. Sweet Merciful Buddha its shiny...

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

9. Last_Chael

Feb 25, 2006
    Ooooh nice! Though, I'd be a little worried that for that price, they may not be quite the best quality, but certainly worth checking out! They don't have Cally :( But I'm still really *really* tempted to do Starbuck. She's jsut so kickass!! Plus she gets all the cool costumes!

That is indeed a very shiny gun! woot!

10. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    DAMN that is a shiny gun! =P~

11. starfire-phoenix

Jan 2, 2004
    That's looking great! I bet you can't wait to put it all together!

12. Last_Chael

Feb 25, 2006
    I just realised.... With the haircut I usually get (I generally tend to get a fringe cut, best reference, Jen garner in season 4 of Alias) as well as pulling off Cally, I could quite easily (except for the whole nationality thing) pull off Boomer. hehehe I can play a cylon :p Though, I'd still much prefer to be a viper pilot :p

13. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    My BDUs finally arrived today, so I can commence construction once someone with more experience in such matters than me has a free moment.

I will say though, for the price I paid, I think I got ripped off. The construction of these things is fairly poor; I dunno if that's standard with BDUs or not; but there's a lot of loose threads and the button holes are fairly rough.

The recommended place to get appropriate BDUs is from a site in the US: pants and shirt. The only reason I didn't order from there is that shipping to Australia is ridiculous for a single order; it actually cost more in total than what I paid locally. The other advantage of the set I bought locally is that I can remove the additional pockets from the shirt I don't need and use them to construct the belt loops for the pants. However, if a group of QFFers and our friends wanted to do a bulk order from the States, it might work out to be more cost effective.

Now I've just got to buy some tank tops. *shudder* I'll post finished pics when its all done.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.